• 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 3 Post By robtharalson
  • 3 Post By Soloinoz
  • 2 Post By Soloinoz

post #1 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 turns over but not starting.

Hi All new to the forum.
Have a 2004 Hornet 919 with 20k on the clock.
Has been sitting under a cover for the winter (Live on the south cost of England). Had a dead battery so I replaced it with a fresh new one but unfortunately, I touched the positive battery terminal against the petrol tank when i was sliding it back into its cover.
Well it got jammed there for about 5 seconds with lots of hissing and smoke before i managed to free it.
The engine turns over ok but will not start.
This is one thing I can say about this bike is that it has always started on the button.
Have I shorted something guys ??
What an idiot thing to have done !!
Thanks for any tips or guidance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

How do the fuses look?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #3 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi Sckill, the fuses look ok.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 09:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You need to get a test light or a multi-meter and start checking things. You can pull out every fuse, one by one and check it, you can also just buy a set of fuses, they are handy to keep on the bike.

You can also use a timing light to test if you're getting spark or you can hold the plug wire with a screwdriver next to a ground using rubber gloves and see if you're getting spark. You can also listen for the fuel pump.

Start with the fuses.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #5 of 16 Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloinoz View Post
Hi All new to the forum.
Have a 2004 Hornet 919 with 20k on the clock.
Has been sitting under a cover for the winter (Live on the south cost of England). Had a dead battery so I replaced it with a fresh new one but unfortunately, I touched the positive battery terminal against the petrol tank when i was sliding it back into its cover.
Well it got jammed there for about 5 seconds with lots of hissing and smoke before i managed to free it.
The engine turns over ok but will not start.
This is one thing I can say about this bike is that it has always started on the button.
Have I shorted something guys ??
What an idiot thing to have done !!
Thanks for any tips or guidance.
How does the rest of the electrical system behave now?
In particular, all of the lighting.
I mean the instrument needle sweeping and lights, head lamp, tail lamp and signals.

How do the safety switches behave?
As in the kill switch, lean stand switch, and clutch switch.

How does the ignition behave?
Got a spare plug? be it #1 or 4, pull the cap, use the spare plug as grounded to something that can be reached, and see if you have spark.

How does the fuel pump behave?
Can you hear it go on when you turn the key?

Do all that, then go from there.
(Assumed it that all of the fuses really are OK.)
IF still stumped, the very best resource we have is robtharlson, who is in an electrical league of his own.

post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome!
As it happens there is a thread on this subject: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ml#post1115106
Sound familiar?
Quote:
I touched the positive battery terminal against the petrol tank when i was sliding it back into its cover. Well it got jammed there for about 5 seconds with lots of hissing and smoke before i managed to free it.
When the positive post of the battery contacted the fuel tank it overloaded the ground wire for the fuel pump and low fuel sensor, burning it out. If the break in the ground wire is between the fuel pump mount and the three pin block connector on the main harness it is possible to effect repair by replacing the mount which unfortunately includes the fuel pump. At $325 USD, it is a pricey option. A considerably less expensive option is to make a heavier gauge wire with the necessary terminals on each end to connect to the tank and the frame ground point on the right side of the backbone above the airbox, bypassing the failed ground wire.

The fix is pretty simple, and if you aren't sure of your skills in this area any stereo shop or auto electrical / repair shop could knock it out in five minutes, and if you ask they may let you watch, usually with a running commentary. If, however, you want to do it yourself I can write up the procedure.

Rob
Mark919, mcromo44 and Islandboy like this.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi All, thank you all so much for your helpful advice.

I have only managed to get back on to this site today. Been recovering from covid virus. I'm front line staff in the NHS and came down with the virus a few weeks ago and have not felt like doing much apart from recovering.

All lights and switches working and all fuses that i found are ok.

Looks like It may well be what Rob is saying about burning out the ground wire for the fuel pump, I will check this out later today and will let you know.
Also Rob, thanks for the link.

Thanks again guys.

Please keep safe and stay well.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Hi All, thank you all so much for your helpful advice.

I have only managed to get back on to this site today. Been recovering from covid virus. I'm front line staff in the NHS and came down with the virus a few weeks ago and have not felt like doing much apart from recovering.

All lights and switches working and all fuses that i found are ok.

Looks like It may well be what Rob is saying about burning out the ground wire for the fuel pump, I will check this out later today and will let you know.
Also Rob, thanks for the link.

Thanks again guys.

Please keep safe and stay well.
Sir, I think adding the word "staff" after "Front Line" rather diminishes the role you are playing.

post #9 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi all,

Had a look at the wires under the tank and yep the earth has melted from the fuel pump at the end where the terminal block is.. Plus the black earth from the frame to the front underside of the tank.

Good call Rob. I would like to take you up on the offer of re attaching new cable please Rob. Really just want to ride now, you know how it is.

Trying to upload a couple of pics that may be helpful to other people but not having much success.

Thanks for your help

post #10 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ok so I made a new ground wire to replace the one which attaches to the frame and the underside of the tank and the fuel pump primed and started on the button.
Just idling high at 2.5.

Now for a clean up and back to work tomorrow after 4 weeks off.

Thank you for you suggestions and help guys.

Keep safe.

BTW, I used an old ground wire from XT500 which I had restored, it was the 1st bike I owned back in 1980
robtharalson and mcromo44 like this.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 03:22 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Ok so I made a new ground wire to replace the one which attaches to the frame and the underside of the tank and the fuel pump primed and started on the button.
Just idling high at 2.5.

Now for a clean up and back to work tomorrow after 4 weeks off.

Thank you for you suggestions and help guys.

Keep safe.

BTW, I used an old ground wire from XT500 which I had restored, it was the 1st bike I owned back in 1980
To be true to form, you should refer to it as the factory manual does.
It's called a "maintenance wire".
LoLs, I guess they meant "a wire that maintains grounding of the tank to the frame".
Bizarre, eh?

post #12 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 05:09 PM
919 Rider

So this maintenance wire. When I first got my bike and lifted the tank I found this wire not attached to the tank. Someone had not bolted it back onto tank. I sorted that out.
The pump ran fine.
I'm just assuming that the tank was still grounded where it bolts and pivots on the frame.
What is the full purpose of that maintenance wire?

post #13 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
So this maintenance wire. When I first got my bike and lifted the tank I found this wire not attached to the tank. Someone had not bolted it back onto tank. I sorted that out.
The pump ran fine.
I'm just assuming that the tank was still grounded where it bolts and pivots on the frame.
What is the full purpose of that maintenance wire?
I'm not certain, but it seemed to me whenever I wanted to use a handy block of wood to elevate the tank where I wanted it to get to, the wire prevented it so off it came every such time.
It's been so long I can't remember if the wire is braided type or electrical wire in green insulation.
Anyway, I think someone at Mr. Honda wanted to prevent movement beyond a certain range, for some reason.
Once I drag the bike out from under the car in a few weeks, I'll have a look.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 07:22 PM
919 Rider

It's a braided type.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-19-2020, 07:26 PM
919 Rider

Partzilla have that cable listed as a fuel tank stopper.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-20-2020, 02:32 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I think someone at Mr. Honda wanted to prevent movement beyond a certain range, for some reason.
Yes, this was my assumption too - mine was unbolted at one end, and I never changed it, as it lets me get the front of the tank up and out of the way when I need to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode