919 Touring Edition - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

919 Touring Edition

All summer long I have slowly been putting all the pieces together for a 3 week, 5,000 mile motorcycle trip. Today those pieces have come together and the bike is ready to go. Some stuff worked out well, other stuff didn't. I got advice from many members and threads here so thanks to everyone. I did a lot of maintenance stuff like oil and filter change, coolant change, new rubber... But I also had a couple more things to work out that I had never attempted before.

First up was luggage. I decided to go with hard cases because I wanted something that will last a long time, is very secure, completely waterproof and has plenty of storage. I was initially concerned that my single sided exhaust would interfere with the mounting/cases. Luckily when I got them and mounted them they fit just fine. So here are some pictures of the bike with SW Motech Quicklock Sidecarriers for the 919 with attached M1550 Pelican cases. I probably could have used smaller cases but I'll go with it as is and I can always swap out the cases later.

Here is the bike with the cases attached...

Here is a picture of the clearance between the exhaust and the rack for any of those interested...

And 15 seconds later with them off thanks to the Quicklock system...

I'm not a big fan of the turn signal location. I will eventually change them when I get home to something a little sleeker, maybe with a fender eliminator.

Next on my list of things to do was have a way to charge my phone since I will be using it as GPS, MP3 player etc. So thanks to HondaJim's thread and a few others I was able to wire it up pretty easily once I had the correct parts. I would have used an SAE connecter and battery tender cable but this was literally the only connector I could find after checking a dozen or so stores. And due to time restraints I didn't want to order something online.

I left it long so I can run it up into the tank bag.

I had intended to put on a set of Givi Crashbars but when I got them in the mail they hit the headers. They will probably end up in the classifieds when I get back. I would have ordered some Motovation frame sliders but didnt have time by the time I figured that out. I'm toying with the idea of ordering them and having them shipped down my destination in Florida

I have a bigger universal windshield that I may try to put on it but I like the smaller windshield and am comfortable with the wind from it.

For those interested this is a rough estimate of the route I'll be taking...
Boston, MA to I-90 E - Google Maps
I'll be spending a week in WI at a family reunion and then spending another week in FL at my parents house.

If anyone wants any other info on any of the stuff I did let me know and I can tell you what I can and I have plenty of other pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Looks like quite the trip. Have fun and be safe.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #3 of 24 Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Tirone

Looks great. Are you planning on using a sheepskin pad or anything? Also, I've found with windscreens it's all about the level and intensity of wind. As long as the windscreen keeps the air steady, it's not too bad. When the wind buffets it'll tire you out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboDent View Post
I'm not a big fan of the turn signal location. I will eventually change them when I get home to something a little sleeker, maybe with a fender eliminator.
True that brother.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Pilus Posterior

Well done.

That is one of the things I like about nakeds - with a bit of thought and application the basic platform can be transformed into whatever you desire - touring, sport, hell even dual purpose!

post #5 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I like it. This wouldn't work with stock exhaust, correct?

post #6 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Nice job! Sounds like it'll be a good ride, have fun & ride safe.

post #7 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Excellent set up, enjoy the trip.....man 3 weeks on the bike sounds like fun! Ride safe.

post #8 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post

Those racks are designed to be used with the stock exhaust. I'm saving for a set myself.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #9 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr D View Post
Looks great. Are you planning on using a sheepskin pad or anything? Also, I've found with windscreens it's all about the level and intensity of wind. As long as the windscreen keeps the air steady, it's not too bad. When the wind buffets it'll tire you out quickly.

True that brother.
I am not using anything special. I did buy bike shorts which should help a bit. I haven't had any issues with the stock seat so far. I have been on a few 500 plus days and don't get too tired of it until the very end.

And yes the wind buffeting is the worst. The first time I rode on the highway I was following a van for about 30 mins figuring that it would lead the way and make it easier. It wasn't until after I got out from being the van that I realized how much better it was to have no one in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
As stated it will work with the stock exhaust. I had started to order stock exhaust parts just in case I had to swap over. So I now have stock headers and a y-pipe sitting in storage.

post #10 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Le So Cal Troll

nice setup.... have any issues with draging em? seems like you could drag them pretty darn easy.

post #11 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Optio

Those Pelikans are big, but I doubt he'll drag them. I have smaller Givi hard cases and actually left them on during my first track day. Cheap sliders. Lol.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't sweat the sliders, Jumbo. Those huge cases will do the job more effectively than the motovations, anyway.

Since you still have your fender, you can mount smaller turn signals on it. I used the holes where the side reflectors were attached as mount points for smaller signals. I already had the clear alternatives integrated signals, but figured the smaller signals in addition wouldn't hurt. Can post pics later if you really want to see them.

post #12 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

I highly doubt I'll even get close to dragging the cases. I'll probably be taking it easy when they are attached. Most of my riding will be on the highway which won't have me leaning over to much. I'll most likely be doing my more spirited riding in WI and GA. I'll be spending longer amounts of time in both the states and will be able to leave the cases off the bike while I go out day riding.

post #13 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
MSF blacksheep

Looks good jumbo!

post #14 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Princeps Prior

Looks good. I like the girthy cases. Lots of storage

post #15 of 24 Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Aquilifer

I'm curious how the bike rides with those cases -- that's some width and I wonder if it fukkers with handling at all, particularly at highway speeds.

post #16 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Tirone

I like the hugeness of those cases. They scream, "I care more about function than form," which I think always makes the rider seem cooler, no matter what.

As an aside, where'd you find the Motech mounting setup, and how much did it run you? I've got a set of Motech crash bars coming from Germany. Kind of expensive, but I think they will be great. I'm happy with my Cortech soft bag setup for most applications, but for touring, it'd be nice to be able to park the bike while getting lunch or whatever, and not have to worry about someone unzipping my saddlebags and stealing whats inside. I don't want to mount anything "permanently" though, so the quick-release Motechs seem like a good solution.

post #17 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
As an aside, where'd you find the Motech mounting setup, and how much did it run you? I've got a set of Motech crash bars coming from Germany. Kind of expensive, but I think they will be great
TwistedThrottle.com : ...by What Fits My Bike - Honda - CB919 / CB900 Hornet, '02-'07 -

Twisted Throttle is the only US importer for SW Motech products IIRC. the link above is a link to Twisted Throttle's "everything we sell that fits a 919" page. I have wanted to buy that SW Motech set up with a set of Givi bags since I bought my bike but something else always gets in the way. I still have my soft bag set up though so it's not a necessity.

Those Pelican cases look cool, probably a lot more functional than the Givi cases as far as packing them but definitely not as aerodynamic. If I was worried about aerodynamics though I would have a bike with a fairing.

I like your set up for touring and I hope you have a great trip. I did a 3 week tour with the stock seat and bicycle shorts under jeans / riding pants and did ok. Maybe a sheep skin or other pad would have been better but run what you have and see if it works for you. You can always buy things on the road.

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #18 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
I'm curious how the bike rides with those cases -- that's some width and I wonder if it fukkers with handling at all, particularly at highway speeds.
I haven't had time to take them on the highway yet. If I get home early enough tonight I'll make a quick run down the road and let you know. I think that slow speed maneuvers will be the biggest change because it will be easier to get off balance. Each case and rack weigh about 15lbs empty so I'm guessing Ill have an extra 30lbs per side when packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston919 View Post
I like the hugeness of those cases. They scream, "I care more about function than form," which I think always makes the rider seem cooler, no matter what.

As an aside, where'd you find the Motech mounting setup, and how much did it run you? I've got a set of Motech crash bars coming from Germany. Kind of expensive, but I think they will be great. I'm happy with my Cortech soft bag setup for most applications, but for touring, it'd be nice to be able to park the bike while getting lunch or whatever, and not have to worry about someone unzipping my saddlebags and stealing whats inside. I don't want to mount anything "permanently" though, so the quick-release Motechs seem like a good solution.
I did get them from Twistedthrottle.com. Had I realized they were just over the boarder in RI I would have just driven down there and got them to save on shipping. They were 230 for the sideracks and another 40 to make them lockable. I dont nkow how myuch the cases were. They were a birthday gift from my parents and my dad knows a wholesaler. Being that you are in Boston as well, if you ever want to come check them out you are more than welcome. Most likely after I get back though since I leave on Friday and will be at school until 8:00 pretty much every night this week.

post #19 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM
just send it.

Garage
I would take the stock blinkers, remove the rubber part of the stock to shorten them up a bit, and put them back to the stock mounting location. They just screw apart and it should be fairly straight forward to remount them.

I did this to the front blinkers on my bike and it looks a lot better. They are still big orange blobs, but at least they aren't sagging.

[This space for rent]
post #20 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Rather be Riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I would take the stock blinkers, remove the rubber part of the stock to shorten them up a bit, and put them back to the stock mounting location. They just screw apart and it should be fairly straight forward to remount them.

I did this to the front blinkers on my bike and it looks a lot better. They are still big orange blobs, but at least they aren't sagging.
Ya, I am thinking about making up some brackets to go next to the license plate. The left turn signal is drooping because it is broken. One of two things happened. I either hit it with my leg while getting off the bike (I don't think I actually did this) or a neighbor/random person walked by and broke it unintentionally/intentionally. I live with a lot of old people who have nothing better to do in their lives than complain and they hate the fact that some young guy moved in and has a motorcycle. They already tried to get me banned from parking it on the street outside the walls of our community.

post #21 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
They already tried to get me banned from parking it on the street outside the walls of our community.

those assholes! I should drive my dads VTX1800 down there and make a shit load of noise! lol that sucks

post #22 of 24 Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
They were a birthday gift from my parents and my dad knows a wholesaler.
sounds like a group buy option right there.....

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #23 of 24 Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Shoooweeee. I thought those pelikans were Samsonites.

post #24 of 24 Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Olde Phart

Hey, Jumbo.

Looks like you're pretty well on your way to being ready to roll. One thing I didn't see you mention anything about is your riding gear. In my half-million miles of riding, the one thing that, for me, can make or break a great tour is your helmet. A good, well-fitted, comfortable and quiet helmet is essential, especially when you're riding a (and I hate this term) naked bike. My first large tour was on an unfaired '79 vintage GS850 shaftie. The Bell Star I wore, with extra seals around the shield, was probably one of the better choices back in the day, and it really helped prevent fatigue on thousand-mile days.

And since you're headed for deepest, darkest Florida, you'll obviously need a lid with good ventilation. The weather here this summer can only be described as 'warm and muggy at night, extra-crispy and muggy during the day, with intermittent stormy assaults from above.'

Just one final observation. We might suggest some alternative routes for you. I don't know how close you plan to stick to the map you linked, but there are some awful stretches of highway on your map. Example, I-95 up the East coast and around the DC Beltway. Man, I'd rather hit myself in the head repeatedly with a 5-lb hammer than run that road. If you really want to stick to the interstates, the route up I-26 and I-77 through Charlotte to Wytheville, VA is much nicer (road surface and scenery). You can take I-81 north out of Wytheville and miss all of the crap around DC. And, as an added bonus if you're not in a terrible hurry, there's lots of places where you can jump from I-81 over onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive. If you've never ridden it, sure would be a shame to be this close and not do a day on it. Fantastic riding.

Lastly, your route will take you within 10 miles of both of my houses. I-80 Exit 62 in PA and I-75 Exit 423 in FL. Just a weird coincidence.

Enjoy the trip. I don't know if it's your first or not, but it gets in your blood. You'll start getting the wanderlust all of the time. Good luck.

40 years of riding . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode