4Likes
  • 1 Post By steev
  • 1 Post By WxN
  • 1 Post By rufftup
  • 1 Post By robtharalson

post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

919 runs better after abuse?

As the title says, my 919 runs significantly smoother after beating the absolute snot out of it. It's most noticeable on the ride home from track days, but also after pretty much any significant amount of time spent flogging the bike. How I can tell is a little subjective, obviously I can feel the bike running smoother, but what I notice most is that the vibrations from my mirrors will be completely gone, when normally it's pretty significant and I have to hold the mirror if I really wanna get a really clear picture of whats behind me.

Am I going crazy? This is something I've noticed for years. The bike has 60k miles on it and still has OEM plugs and never had a valve check, but again, this is something I've always noticed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Milites Gregarius

Ah, the old ďItalian Tune UpĒ may have some truth to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CB900F2 likes this.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM
919 Rider

Why does it runs bad in the first place?...abuse?

post #4 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM
WxN
Itís 9:19 somewhere.

Garage
"Cadillac WOT procedure" is a real thing. Wide open throttle in second gear- chop the throttle, repeat. I was always waiting for a cop when doing mine... hard to explain driving 70-80 mph tached out in second (sounds ruthless) and chopping down to less than 20mph. Always felt like a recipe for a ticket. I kept the manual in the passenger seat just in case I had to explain myself... it had 275,000 miles too!
According to GM, it seats and exercises the rings by rotating them around the piston- polishing the cylinder and removing carbon. Coupled with high vacuum from the WOT throttle chop- it clears carbon and sucks it out. Not sure if it translates to Honda motorcycle..
Islandboy likes this.

post #5 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Wanna free cat?

Leave the keys in it...
Islandboy likes this.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
--- Mae West
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 CB900F
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Tesserarius

Nathan, I've seen a couple of your vids. You ride well, by the way. But what you do, in my opinion, is not abuse. I think you're riding the bike the way it was intended to be ridden. It's doing what it's made to do.

Everything I've ever owned ran better after a good romp; that's especially true of Honda's. I took my 599 out a few days ago. I guarantee it ran better when I got home, than when I left. The 599 was made in Italy, btw. So it really was an Italian Tune Up.

It's more noticeable with an in line 4, than with a V2. V2s are always lumpy.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

While working at a Honda shop in the early'80s we got quite a few Gold Wings in for service with lots of miles on the odo, and complaints of poor performance / drivability. I would do the normal servicing, then take it out for what the owner assumed was a test ride at freeway speeds. What they didn't know was while it was going 65 to 70 MPH, it was in second gear, then chop the throttle. Usually after three times they really wake up! Not surprising considering they spend over 90% of their life below 4,000 rpm. Had quite a few owners asking if they got a new motor.

Good customer relations.

Rob
WxN likes this.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 8 Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 PM
The Instigator

Pretty much any engine that isn't ridden by an ultra fast rider on a big open track is severely babied.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in