919 Power Commander III impressions - journal - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 18 Old 09-02-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Discen

919 Power Commander III impressions - journal

Hey guys,

i bought myself a power commander III usb on eBay, got a good deal for it $122 shipped.

Talked to mcromo and he was really helpful with some great advice and some suggestions for starter maps.

He mentioned it would be a good idea to document my experience with it for others.

I have an 02 919 - currently has a stock air filter and has been debaffled. Thats it. The purpose of buying the PCIII was less to get more power then just to clean up the "snatchiness" in lower gears/rpm while cruising around town.

Installed the PCIII - it really was a breeze and would have been easier if i hadn't stupidly hack jobbed my wiring when doing a fender delete a few months ago. The PCIII instructions were telling me to look for a two prong opaque connector to plug into,i couldn't find it... it took me a bit to calm down and realize "oh yeah i hacked up the 2 prong opaque connector to wire in license plate lights under my seat" that and the seller forgot to include the little wire with an in-line splicer for the red-yellow wire on the ECU... made my own though took 2 minutes.

So got it installed, turned the bike to the ON position. Plugged it into my laptop and it was good to go.

Per mcromo i used the mw919-2stk map file first. Took the bike out for a spin. Now i want to preface this by saying i know there are a lot of variables to consider - temperature / humidity / what the actual condition of the seat illbot sold was in / etc.... as mcromo mentioned you need to take the bike out multiple times in multiple different conditions to get a feel for it.

Having said that i did notice the bike went through the revs 1-3k a lot cleaner... less jerkiness around town. I took the bike around for awhile and noticed a lot less hesitation in the lower rpms. Took it on the highway and felt the same... but its so hard to tell... if it was just me feeling confident and good and the bike was just running right or it was the power commander.

I am going to keep this map on the bike for awhile and probably saturday at the earliest switch to the 3STK map.

I also made a few cosmetic changes to the bike, i'll post some pics soon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Honda919Rider #1

I would try and find LDH's map, and he is the Lord Duck Hunter.

Enjoy

post #3 of 18 Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I would try and find LDH's map, and he is the Lord Duck Hunter.

Enjoy
He has a string of LDH maps on hand, including the one that is presently in his bike.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Discen

so some updates, first map moristk2

smoother in the rev range from 1-3k rpm, much easier around town, less noticeable (more linear) drop off when slowing/coasting down using the engine.

did notice a bit of a dead spot between 3-4k rpm in a low throttle position.

also noticed the bike started up easier.. ive read a bunch of posts on more difficult cold starts but i noticed either no change or sometimes what appeared to be easier starts (ie less time holding in the starter for the bike to turn over)

overall very pleased - its 1230 here and i just got back from a 2 hour night cruise, i wanted to get this posted before i went to bed but i'll probably revise it a bit in the morning

post #5 of 18 Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Cornicen

A power commander III USB for $120......do they have any left???? I want.

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4
post #6 of 18 Old 09-27-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Discen

so an update.... after playing around with a few different maps on from MCROMO and from the dynojet site i have decided to go back to the first map that MCROMO recommended i try. This one gave me great results over stock and i am hard pressed to notice any positive difference in trying the other maps.

i experimented with creating or tweaking my own map, no real negative results but i didnt notice anything positive either. I think to really make any difference you need to have experience and a dyno.

So to summarize: for me running a mostly stock setup the power commander cleaned up the low end, less chugging in sub 2k rpm and made the power band that much more linear up to 6k. Again this is all but but-dyno experience which i have come to realize is wildly inaccurate. Im leaving the tweaking up to the professionals and am sticking with the very first map mcromo recommended.

thanks guys!

post #7 of 18 Old 09-27-2014, 12:52 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKukov View Post
so an update.... after playing around with a few different maps on from MCROMO and from the dynojet site i have decided to go back to the first map that MCROMO recommended i try. This one gave me great results over stock and i am hard pressed to notice any positive difference in trying the other maps.

i experimented with creating or tweaking my own map, no real negative results but i didnt notice anything positive either. I think to really make any difference you need to have experience and a dyno.

So to summarize: for me running a mostly stock setup the power commander cleaned up the low end, less chugging in sub 2k rpm and made the power band that much more linear up to 6k. Again this is all but but-dyno experience which i have come to realize is wildly inaccurate. Im leaving the tweaking up to the professionals and am sticking with the very first map mcromo recommended.

thanks guys!
How about posting the map file name so all know what to look for that want to.

The ultimate test is "rideability" and is what matters the most.
Especially down low in revs and throttle position.
Actual torque delivery is of course best read off a dyno curve, but doesn't tell the whole story, aside from smoothed out torque delivery by better fueling rates indicating improved "rideability" should result. And a good dyno using tuner makes a huge difference.

Great to hear it worked out well for you.

post #8 of 18 Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Hey Mc, good call.

The first map i used was mw919-2stk from the drop box. Its the one i am currently running now.

The around town driving is much nicer on the 919 after cleaning it up with the commander. Thanks again for all the advice.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Hell I was drunk when I made that one.

post #10 of 18 Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Hell I was drunk when I made that one.
Did I ever tell you the story about the guy who dyno'd my bike and I gave the bike to him with your V4 Mori based map in it as the baseline map ?
Don't try and tell me you were lit when you did that one too !

post #11 of 18 Old 10-03-2014, 11:25 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I don't recall that one...

The Mori map was born on the dyno, but I was never really satisfied with the dyno work. It just never had that feeling of connecting your wrist to the engine so I ended up tuning it by the seat of the pants in real world conditions. By the time the the 4th revision came out I had probably tripled the amount of time tweaking the map in the real world than was done on the dyno.

post #12 of 18 Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 PM
McTavish

Smile

Quote:
I don't recall that one...

The Mori map was born on the dyno, but I was never really satisfied with the dyno work. It just never had that feeling of connecting your wrist to the engine so I ended up tuning it by the seat of the pants in real world conditions. By the time the the 4th revision came out I had probably tripled the amount of time tweaking the map in the real world than was done on the dyno.
It goes back some years now, 2008 to be exact.
The shop knew me fairly well, and I said I wanted a tinker tune, not just a quickie map.
When I returned to get the bike, the tuner saw me and walked up real fast and very firmly asked me "Where did you get the map?". I told him I found it on 919.0rg. Next question was "how much did you pay for it ?" . Answer was of course "free". The short story of the remainder is this, the map was so good he had a hard time improving it. He took twice as long as usual just to find enough changes to make so that he could satisfy himself that he done a full map that had improvements in it. So I got a tinker tune that took twice as long AND he only charged me half price because the baseline was so good ! Guess what his last name is ? Yup, the guy is also a Wheeler ! Really, truly and not making it up.

post #13 of 18 Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

That's pretty interesting. What exhaust where you running?

post #14 of 18 Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 PM
McTavish

Quote:
That's pretty interesting. What exhaust where you running?
TRSs.
Bought them new in boxes with the bike in 05.
Era of TRSs with downturned outlet and the alternative Z quiet series.
I went with standard TRSs.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 04:26 PM
The Dead Head

Garage
Is it absolutely necessary to install a PC3 with stock OEM debaffled cans??? I'm not looking for better performance, but will I damage the motor if I don't install one? I've been reading it's necessary when installing aftermarket canisters, but haven't found any info on OEM debaffled cans

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!
post #16 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 04:47 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB 919 View Post
Is it absolutely necessary to install a PC3 with stock OEM debaffled cans??? I'm not looking for better performance, but will I damage the motor if I don't install one? I've been reading it's necessary when installing aftermarket canisters, but haven't found any info on OEM debaffled cans
Relax, you will not hurt your engine by not having a PC along with debaffled or stock cans.
The reason for a PC is improved rideability from the smoothed out torque curve as derived by improved mapping.
There is a range of experience on this site from those with, and without PCs, on stock cans, debaffled stock cans and a range of aftermarket cans.
If, like me, you found your bike to be terrible at low revs and small throttle openings in creeping traffic, then you'll forever sing the praises of a PC once you have one fitted and well mapped.
Or, you might find yourself like others who found their ECU's stock map was fine for them.
CB 919 likes this.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
The Dead Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Relax, you will not hurt your engine by not having a PC along with debaffled or stock cans.
The reason for a PC is improved rideability from the smoothed out torque curve as derived by improved mapping.
There is a range of experience on this site from those with, and without PCs, on stock cans, debaffled stock cans and a range of aftermarket cans.
If, like me, you found your bike to be terrible at low revs and small throttle openings in creeping traffic, then you'll forever sing the praises of a PC once you have one fitted and well mapped.
Or, you might find yourself like others who found their ECU's stock map was fine for them.

Thanks for the info. I do plan on upgrading the exhaust & get a PC3, probably do the CBR900RR upgrade, and go low slung when I can afford it. I've had the bike less than a month. It was just someone telling me that since I have modded the stock exhaust I'd need a PC3. I didn't think so, but I'm just looking for clarification. I agree on the low revs/small throttle issues, but it's still all new to me with it being my first 919
Thanks again

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!
post #18 of 18 Old 04-09-2017, 05:56 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB 919 View Post
Thanks for the info. I do plan on upgrading the exhaust & get a PC3, probably do the CBR900RR upgrade, and go low slung when I can afford it. I've had the bike less than a month. It was just someone telling me that since I have modded the stock exhaust I'd need a PC3. I didn't think so, but I'm just looking for clarification. I agree on the low revs/small throttle issues, but it's still all new to me with it being my first 919
Thanks again
A 900RR retrofitted pipe should have a PC 3 as that piped is mismatched to the 919, as it is dimensioned for different inlets, cams, ports and rev band.
The requisite maps are significantly different from that for a stock 919 header based twin outlet system.
When the time comes, be sure to use a 900RR based map from the library of maps.
CB 919 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode