919 power commander and stutter / hesitation issues - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
919 power commander and stutter / hesitation issues

Howdy

'07 919

So I thought I had it all figured out. Install the pcIII, play with some maps and voila. But I'm afraid that I have changed the resistance from (or to?) the throttle position sensor which in turn gives an intermittent and terrible hesitation / Stutter of the engine at low and mid throttle.

The reason I think it might be the tps is that I soldered rather than use a t-tap to connect the Grey wire to the red/yellow wire on the Grey ecm connection.

I've checked the battery connections etc...

Any advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
On researching.. I find that the tps is based on voltage, not resistance. I don't have a test harness, but it seems that the r/y that the pc taps into would be the (-) probe in the test and the y/r would be the (+) probe. Looking for a <10% variance in voltage (after calculation) from fully open to fully closed.

I will recheck my solder connection, but I'm still wondering if a solder connection would affect the TPS output voltage on the r/y (-) circuit

post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 PM
The Cripple

First things first, sync your throttle with the PC3. That might be your core issue.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Ive been digging to find information on TPS adjustment for the PC3 to no avail. Just a lot of threads about replacement TPS and measuring the resistance of the TPS itself.... I'll keep looking for a "throttle to PC3 sync"?

post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 PM
The Cripple

You don't adjust the TPS, which you can't do anyways. You sync the position of the throttle grip to the PC3. This basically tells the PC3 the open/closed positions of the throttle tube and it also allows to see the percentage of throttle opening based on those open/closed values.

Here is a tutorial: http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...20Throttle.swf

post #6 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Got it. Did that (at least at zero tp). Can / Should WOT be done in neutral or do you need a dyno for that as shown on the YouTube?

Set to zero map for now, if I can get back to a running starting point I'll begin trying to identify the correct map. Won't be able to ride until tomorrow AM and test to see if that helps. It was off by about -400 (around 3000 instead of 3400). Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the input... wracking my brain trying to figure it out as the last time I installed a pc3 on a 919 had zero problems.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-22-2016, 09:58 PM
The Cripple

You don't have to have the engine running to set the open/close values of the throttle.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Thanks for your help Pvster. Seems to help. Set on both ends of the throttle and testing out available maps to find the sweet spot, short of a proper dyno tune.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Ugg. Still not right. Ran great early this morning about 5 miles. About 2 miles into my ride to work started sputtering again. Low throttle, low rpm. Doesn't seem to care what gear or speed.
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator about 3 months ago but I guess that could be the culprit, however the symptoms first started after I installed the pciii, so I want to believe that's the culprit.

Back to square one

post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Remove the PCIII and if the issue persists it's the PC. If it's not check #2 & #3 headers to see if they are cooler that the others, which could indicate a bad FPR again. Also check your vacuum hoses, particularly around the FPR since you messed with those recently. Vacuum leaks will cause issues at low RPM. Good luck!

post #11 of 13 Old 06-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Stink Blade

Reset the PC 3 to factory default and start over.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-23-2016, 09:54 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelios View Post
Reset the PC 3 to factory default and start over.
This, and check you ground wire. That negative terminal likes to come loose after being messed with.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-26-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Got 20 miles on it today. I looked at the setup and felt that maybe the seat was pressing on the PCIII or the harness. I relocated the PCIII multi-pin harness (tucked further into the rear fairing) and relocated the actual unit to the under-seat slot. Seems to be doing much better. Ill put another 100 miles on to really gauge whether the problem has been fixed or not. Thanks for everyone's input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode