919 Piston Slap? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

919 Piston Slap?

I've been lurking these forums for a long time trying to search for a definitive answer, haven't had much luck.
My bike is an '06 919. 20.5k miles on it.

Simply stated, I have knocking noise when accelerating on a cold motor. The colder the weather, the louder the noise initially, and the longer it takes to go away. To my ears, when cold, this noise is loud. By cold, I mean it doesn't go away completely until the fans start to engage in traffic, or a long time riding at normal operating temp. If I had to describe it, it sounds LIKE a pinging noise from low octane fuel, but much deeper. I got the bike at around 14k. I hadn't noticed anything until I switched from a cheapo helmet at around 17k or so, and it started getting colder. The weather is starting to get cool again, and the noise is getting more noticeable. I think it might be piston slap, that's the only noise I can really think that would go away after the engine warmed up fully. This is the one and only issue this bike has ever had.

The noise has not gotten any louder since I first noticed it, other than the fact its louder at first during winters.

I know it's not my chain, and I know it's not pinging. I've had both and solved them.

I have not had my valves checked yet.

Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? If absolutely necessary, I can try to get a video recording of the video, but it's highly unlikely the quality will be good enough to hear it. I'm sorry I have to ask you guys, but you're my last resort. This is my baby now and I want to last me forever, as I'm sure you all can relate. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2015, 04:12 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I've been lurking these forums for a long time trying to search for a definitive answer, haven't had much luck.
My bike is an '06 919. 20.5k miles on it.

Simply stated, I have knocking noise when accelerating on a cold motor. The colder the weather, the louder the noise initially, and the longer it takes to go away. To my ears, when cold, this noise is loud. By cold, I mean it doesn't go away completely until the fans start to engage in traffic, or a long time riding at normal operating temp. If I had to describe it, it sounds LIKE a pinging noise from low octane fuel, but much deeper. I got the bike at around 14k. I hadn't noticed anything until I switched from a cheapo helmet at around 17k or so, and it started getting colder. The weather is starting to get cool again, and the noise is getting more noticeable. I think it might be piston slap, that's the only noise I can really think that would go away after the engine warmed up fully. This is the one and only issue this bike has ever had.

The noise has not gotten any louder since I first noticed it, other than the fact its louder at first during winters.

I know it's not my chain, and I know it's not pinging. I've had both and solved them.

I have not had my valves checked yet.

Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? If absolutely necessary, I can try to get a video recording of the video, but it's highly unlikely the quality will be good enough to hear it. I'm sorry I have to ask you guys, but you're my last resort. This is my baby now and I want to last me forever, as I'm sure you all can relate. Thanks.
Piston slap is usually louder at idle if there is one (low rpm = more slap). Check your valves and cam chain and can chain tensioner go from there.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think piston slap is a deeper hollow sound like a rod knock. I really don't think it would sound like a ping. However, you could change the oil to a thicker oil or add an additive (STP) and see if that changes it, but that could mask other noises at the same time.

Maybe post a YouTube vid and move the mic to different points around the engine. Another trick is to get a metal rod and touch parts of the engine while recording. Touch the valve area and the recorder at the same time and work around different parts of the engine. The vibration (sound) would transfer to the recorder. Also, an open area would reduce echo.

A piston slap would be louder at the case, you could work up and down the engine and determine the source.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2015, 05:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I know you said it's not your chain, but could you elaborate on why you're sure its not? New chain and sprockets since the noise started? I've heard chains that looked fine make some funny noises when a link was a little stuck, and had a very similar noise on my last chain that disapeared when I replaced it a few months ago

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Aquilifer

I've had three 919's and they all had the "knock". Just as you described, light throttle and not fully hot motor. It sounded the same at 2,000 miles as it did at 16,000 miles.

Personally, I think it is a little piston slap but does not cause any issues besides a little noise. I was worried at first but with the miles some guys have on their 919's and the fact it's a Honda, I decided to ride more and worry less.

It's funny, the 919 gets a bad rap about the "stink" but none of my 919's had that but they all had the "knock".

post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Princeps Prior

I would replace the spark plugs if it were me. That would ensure proper detonation as long as there is no other wear or carbon build up.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM
The Cripple

Just ride the Damn thing.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-01-2015, 03:09 PM
RIDE RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Just ride the Damn thing.
I second this my next oil change is at over 50k and I seem to be the only one to have big issues (broken valve spring) but she's going strong again now. Keep it in the back of your mind, if it's something serious it will rear its ugly head then you can fix it and keep on riding.

post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I know you said it's not your chain, but could you elaborate on why you're sure its not? New chain and sprockets since the noise started? I've heard chains that looked fine make some funny noises when a link was a little stuck, and had a very similar noise on my last chain that disapeared when I replaced it a few months ago

I know because if I put the bike in gear while stopped, hold the brakes down and let out the clutch to add some load to the motor, it'll make noise without the bike moving.

Also, thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to see if I can record the sound when I get a chance. (Storm coming up the east side, never ending rain)

post #10 of 12 Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

This classic engine noise of clicking, tapping, knocking has been asked and wondered about since i first joined one of these forums more than 10 years ago. My bike as done it since 2003 and it doesn't bother me at all. Many folks have attributed the clicking to noisy fuel injectors. Some folks think it is cam / bucket noise. It's just the music of this engine - to me.
I've read some dismiss the idea that it might be piston slap since folks, that listen for it, have often noticed it on virtually new bikes. And piston slap would typically exist only in worn engines. (There should also be piston scoring marks and no one, that I have read about, has reported that...)
There are a lot of other noises than can be serious but if what you are hearing is what I imagine it to be then it is not a problem that is worth trying to solve.
Just my 2 cents.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I know because if I put the bike in gear while stopped, hold the brakes down and let out the clutch to add some load to the motor, it'll make noise without the bike moving.

Also, thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to see if I can record the sound when I get a chance. (Storm coming up the east side, never ending rain)
Fair enough

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 12 Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Tesserarius

Fuel injection knock!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode