919 Oil Leak from Valve Cover? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
919 Oil Leak from Valve Cover?

I noticed a build-up of gunk on the front of my engine, and what looks to be fresh oil from the engine leaking down the corner of the valve cover gasket and onto the engine. The bike is an 07 and only has 18,600 miles on it, is this a common occurrence with these bikes or has my gasket gone bad already? I noticed it was gunked up by a vacuum hose as well? Could that be the real problem?

Help a poor college student out. 8-)

This area on the corner of the gasket was more oily until I wiped my finger across it

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Aquilifer

Find the torque values for the valve cover bolts and verify they're at at spec.

post #3 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Do you know if the PO had valve clearances done at 16K. That's probably when the cover was off. In addition to the torque checks, you may want to clean the oil off and see if it still leaks.

I don't think it's a common problem and as a matter of fact the gasket can be re-used as long as there is no damage.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Could it be weeping from the hose?

post #5 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Pilus Posterior

Never seen it before. Clean it off and see if it leaks again - it may be nothing more than road grime build-up from oil on the head after the cover had been off for inspection, i.e. a mechanic who did not tidy up.

post #6 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Do you know if the PO had valve clearances done at 16K.
I bought the bike at 15,455 miles, so I do not believe the PO brought it in for a clearance check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Could it be weeping from the hose?
What exactly weeps from that hose? I am not exactly sure, but if oil can get up there...that's very possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Never seen it before. Clean it off and see if it leaks again - it may be nothing more than road grime build-up from oil on the head after the cover had been off for inspection, i.e. a mechanic who did not tidy up.
I actually remember seeing all that stuff gunked up there before, and I thought it was road grime initially when I first cleaned it up (didn't clean it thoroughly) after purchasing it. I just checked again today not really thinking I had a leak, and it had built up again after a few thousand miles.

I'll clean it up and keep a close eye on it to see where it starts to get dirty first.

I need to buy a torque wrench...lol.

post #7 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

hmm ya thats not leaking from the valve cover, it looks like its coming from the pair port. That hose comes from a cylinoid that in turn gets fresh air from the airbox. the only way i could see oil leaking out of that spot is if the small gasket between the valve cover and pair port on the head leaks AND the gasket between the pair port cover and valve cover is leaking.

wipe it off, and keep an eye on it where its coming from and go from there.

post #8 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Just ride it!

Spoiler:

post #9 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
hmm ya thats not leaking from the valve cover, it looks like its coming from the pair port. That hose comes from a cylinoid that in turn gets fresh air from the airbox. the only way i could see oil leaking out of that spot is if the small gasket between the valve cover and pair port on the head leaks AND the gasket between the pair port cover and valve cover is leaking.

wipe it off, and keep an eye on it where its coming from and go from there.
Thanks for the great insight. I'll update this thread after I get more information from my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Just ride it!
Oh believe me, I have been. 8-) 3,000 commuting miles under 2 months so far.

post #10 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

More the reason to do a pair system removal mod. I know where you can get some plates too.. ^^ (Rickard)

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
More the reason to do a pair system removal mod. I know where you can get some plates too.. ^^ (Rickard)
I hear something is effected when doing that? Is it the MPG or stinkiness? Haha

post #12 of 25 Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I hear something is effected when doing that? Is it the MPG or stinkiness? Haha
no pop on decell.

the reason for the pair system is to inject clean air into the exhaust at certian times so the cat can do its job better. it may or maynot increase stinkyness, but i dont think a cat combats against the things that cause stink.

post #13 of 25 Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Do the pair valve mod, very cheap and easy to do. Fun little mod to tinker on your bike as well.

Thread by Ken, very good with pics:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tion-5438.html

Video of when I did mine:

Honda 919 CB900F Pair Valve Removal and Flapper mod.avi - YouTube!

EDIT: And here is an excellent kit for Block off Plates on ebay. They are the one's I used:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 25 Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
The oil isn't coming from pair valves or whatever it's called haha. It's actually coming from the valve cover gasket. It's not really a leak leak, just very slow...leak? lol. Nothing to be worried about, just makes the engine dirty. Only have to wipe it off every few rides or whatnot. I need to get a torque wrench to see what torque the valve cover gasket is tightened on. It's either not enough or may need a new gasket. I really don't feel like replacing it.

By the way, I have noticed the oil on the gasket after a ride. I have cleaned off the front of the engine so I am able to see exactly where it's coming from. It's odd because I don't believe the valve cover has ever been taken off. It's like it was a mistake from factory.

post #15 of 25 Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
The oil isn't coming from pair valves or whatever it's called haha. It's actually coming from the valve cover gasket. It's not really a leak leak, just very slow...leak? lol. Nothing to be worried about, just makes the engine dirty. Only have to wipe it off every few rides or whatnot. I need to get a torque wrench to see what torque the valve cover gasket is tightened on. It's either not enough or may need a new gasket. I really don't feel like replacing it.

By the way, I have noticed the oil on the gasket after a ride. I have cleaned off the front of the engine so I am able to see exactly where it's coming from. It's odd because I don't believe the valve cover has ever been taken off. It's like it was a mistake from factory.
eh valve cover gaskets can leak, not uncommon. hell my crf250x leaks quite a bit, but tbh i could care less as its really only a drop in the bucket.

get a torque wrench and make sure everything is tight.... put gas in the tank n ride.

post #16 of 25 Old 09-18-2011, 01:43 PM
no max no more

i seen the same problem starting to happen with mine....i thought about it and remembered i changed my oil and tryed some oil filter from walmart...i replaced filter the next day with a stock honda filter and never had problem again

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #17 of 25 Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Garage
I use a purolator motorcycle oil filter. But the problem obviously happened before I got the bike because it was so caked on before I cleaned it, now it's a pretty small small small leak. I doubt the previous owner used purolator for the 16k miles he had it. So I'm thinking it's something different with mine.

post #18 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 AM
LackOfCharismaCanBeFatal

Hi there, have the same problem, I've noticed when on an more aggressive rides, it leaks more, and when riding at leisure pace there is none or very slight oil residue.
location is front left corner, more from the side of the bike, less behind radiator...
I was thing when changing the gasket, i could do s/plugs and maybe block offs...
btw, I've just purchased the bike, it was sitting for a minimum 3yrs, so i guess rubber lost is main purpose.

lack of charisma can be fatal
post #19 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 AM
Ian

I would remove the valve cover and inspect the seal, give it a good cleaning and wipe it down and check for cracks .... if servicable then reinstall with some RTV on the cam cut outs. From the factory it gets blobs of "honda bond" RTV on the cam shaft cut outs & the odds are from sitting the seal or RTV has dried out and failed.

post #20 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 AM
Discen

I had the same problem last year. I give the bike to the mechanic to make valve clearance (25k mi, aprox) and he didn't change the rubber seal. Then the bike started to leak. I didn't see the leak until 6months later because i didn't ride it enough.

I had to re-open it to change the seal, and i had to change of mechanic after that because he didn't want to assume the cost of his error (it would be 80$ of the seal at my cost, 80$ in 2 hours of handwork at his cost, which i believe he could do it in an hour)

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #21 of 25 Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I have done 4 valve checks and never replaced the gasket. I use Permatex Ultra-Black on the half moons like Heli said and haven't had any leaks. That cover gasket is pretty durable and should be OK to re-use.

post #22 of 25 Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have done 4 valve checks and never replaced the gasket. I use Permatex Ultra-Black on the half moons like Heli said and haven't had any leaks. That cover gasket is pretty durable and should be OK to re-use.
So you did valve check ~ every 15k?

post #23 of 25 Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
So you did valve check ~ every 15k?
Every 16K Had to make two small adjustments at 32K and 48K.

post #24 of 25 Old 04-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Sixty-9er

Just noticed mine has some seepage from the valve cover gasket today when doing my preseason inspection. Just got a HF lift so its easier to see these areas. Front side of motor above the exhaust some where. Will try to retorque the cover first. Not too worried about it at 43k ish miles. Never been opened, in first I think I've only once raised the tank for coolant change. I'm sure using 5w40 T6 isn't help the seeping.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #25 of 25 Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 AM
919 Rider

My bike came with a leak, front left. I snapped off a head cover bolt after re torque didn't stop leak. Felt like a dickhead for a day or two. Got some new head cover bolts, a new rubber gasket and painted the cover while it was off.
New gasket stopped leak. My bike had sat around for years before I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170107_141239-1_1556009773757.jpg (222.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170110_085258-1_1556009905477.jpg (179.5 KB, 5 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode