919 gas tank venting problem - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

919 gas tank venting problem

Hello i had an accident about a month ago and had to replace my gas tank because of it. I have a 2003 honda 919 and the tank i bought came off of a 2002 honda 919 i got it painted and installed it but unfortunately it wont vent properly i checked it out inside and all the tubes look intact, i blew air through the venting tubes and it flows freely. But when i open the cap i have to pull hard on it and when it releases the air flows in and makes a hiss sound. I looked at my old tank and they do seem to be a bit different i cant figure out what the problem is, has anyone had something like this happen to them? And anyone with a 2002 919 can you take a picture of the underside of the gas cap? I want to see if it is any different from the 03. Thanks the picture of the tank with the gas cap is the 2002 tank and the one without the gas cap is the 2003 tank. The 2002 tank has two vent holes and the 2003 one has one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1327477870.jpg (53.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image-705450117.jpg (60.8 KB, 19 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Is your new tank off a California bike? I don't have mine with me at work (raining today) so I can't look at it till tonight

Dan
post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Is your new tank off a California bike? I don't have mine with me at work (raining today) so I can't look at it till tonight
I bought it off ebay and it came from white plains, maryland. so im not really sure

post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Is the filler neck longer on the replacement tank? Maybe not allowing the cap to vent?

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #5 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Tesserarius

Gimme an hour ill get your pictures for you bud.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Is the filler neck longer on the replacement tank? Maybe not allowing the cap to vent?
Everything looks the same except for those vent holes that lead to the bottom of the tank, both tanks have two vent tubes on the bottom of the tank. On the 2002 tank If i blow into the smaller one and cover the hole it doesnt Allow air to flow, same for the big one, and in the 2003 tank the smaller tube is always free flowing since it doesnt have an exit on top of the tank, i imagine it's somewhere inside the tank while the big hole is the same as the one in the 2002 tank, Technically speaking it should work fine the only thing that i did was put the 2003 gas cap on the 2002 tank and same for the fuel pump but i doubt that has anything to do with it.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
Gimme an hour ill get your pictures for you bud.
Alright man thanks

post #8 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM
TEXAN

On the picture of the 2002 tank, there are two holes, but the upper left hole is the drain for spilled gas (and for rainwater).

The lower right hole is the vent hole, but it does not connect to the tank on the inside. It is meant to be sealed against the gas cap, which has its own internal vent connection to the tank's inside volume.

The 2003 tank picture shows one hole, which is the drain hole. The vent tube ends inside the tank at the very top, just below the gas cap. The gas cap does not have a vent - the tube connects to a charcoal can and vents through that. I think this is the California style tank and cap.

If you put a non-vented cap on a tank that needs the vented cap, then there is actually no vent on the tank at all, so it pulls a vacuum as the gas is used.

So, you can remedy this in one of the following ways:

1. Get a tank that matches the cap you have.
2. Get a cap that matches the tank you have
3. Add a tiny vent hole to the aluminum casting in the gas cap, and buy the correct rubber seal (cheap) from Honda to seal the gas cap body to the vent hole at the top of the tank.

I messed up when buying my own replacement tank a while ago, and found myself with the same problem you are having. I tried option 3 as it was the cheapest thing to try, and it has worked beautifully for me.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
On the picture of the 2002 tank, there are two holes, but the upper left hole is the drain for spilled gas (and for rainwater). The lower right hole is the vent hole, but it does not connect to the tank on the inside. It is meant to be sealed against the gas cap, which has its own internal vent connection to the tank's inside volume. The 2003 tank picture shows one hole, which is the drain hole. The vent tube ends inside the tank at the very top, just below the gas cap. The gas cap does not have a vent - the tube connects to a charcoal can and vents through that. I think this is the California style tank and cap. If you put a non-vented cap on a tank that needs the vented cap, then there is actually no vent on the tank at all, so it pulls a vacuum as the gas is used. So, you can remedy this in one of the following ways: 1. Get a tank that matches the cap you have. 2. Get a cap that matches the tank you have 3. Add a tiny vent hole to the aluminum casting in the gas cap, and buy the correct rubber seal (cheap) from Honda to seal the gas cap body to the vent hole at the top of the tank. I messed up when buying my own replacement tank a while ago, and found myself with the same problem you are having. I tried option 3 as it was the cheapest thing to try, and it has worked beautifully for me.
Thank you i was worried it was gonna cost me a lot to fix, do you happen to have a part number for the rubber seal? Maybe a picture of where you drilled the hole?

post #10 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslb81 View Post
Thank you i was worried it was gonna cost me a lot to fix, do you happen to have a part number for the rubber seal? Maybe a picture of where you drilled the hole?
I'll see what I can dig up tonight or tomorrow.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Tesserarius

Still need that picture?

post #12 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I have no idea why I have a picture of my gas cap on photobuckt but I do
California model cap

Dan
post #13 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
I'll see what I can dig up tonight or tomorrow.
Nvm i looked it up on ebay and a found a gas cap for cheap then ill just change the lock cylinders to fit my key, appreciate the help.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks guys but mf1ve's post solved my problem.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

If you do end up swapping cylinders in your gas caps, this will help if you've never done it:

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode