919 fuel injection problem????? help. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

919 fuel injection problem????? help.

Hey!

here's what's going on. ok so last week my bike died on me, just stopped running. i pushed it 3.2 miles. the fi light was throwing a code at me. code 12 which is the #1 injector. i borrowed a van and brought it home. followed the testing in the book. disconnected the injector and checked the resistance. it reads 11.5

honda manual says it should be between 13.0 - 14.4 for the #1,3&4 injectors but 11.1-12.3 for the # 2. checked the # 4 injector and it also reads 11.5. assuming my # 4 is good, maybe there is a misprint in the manual. looked up injectors and it doesn't specify which one you are buying so i would assume they are all the same.

anyways i reconnected everything and it started up fine and ran great. i was under the assumption that there was just a bad connection @ #1 injector. i rode it on saturday about 30 miles and it died on me again. throwing the same code 12 at me again. disconnected the # 1 injector and connected it again.. hey it started and i made it 5 miles or so and it died again. tried playing with the connection again. no starting it this time..

Details about what was happening.. sitting on the curb, i was smelling unburned fuel. it would start running real crappy and then die. then when turning on the key and flipping the red on switch it wouldn't make the normal robotic sound. it just cranked and cranked, wouldn't start. borrowed a van and brought it home again.

yesterday tried starting it. runs fine with no problems. sounds great. no codes. checked the resistance again on # 1 & # 4. 11.5 reading. this morning started it again. no problems....

i disconnected the #1 injector and it still starts up but doesn't sound like normal, so i'm thinking that maybe if it was the injector it would still start but just run bad.

just trying to be as detailed as possible with the problem. don't really want to take it out again, because i suspect it will die again and have to go through the hassle of getting towed...yet again or push it.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

any mods done? pc3, etc...?

post #3 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

What year and mileage on your bike? I have an 03 with 18,000 miles on it. My fuel pump used to be really noisy until I realized someone had clamped off the Fuel Return Line on the left side of the bike. Now I can hardly hear the pump running.

When it starts running "crappy", does it sound like it dropped a cylinder, no power?

There are many experience bike mechanics in here who will help tremendously. Good luck.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

2002 Honda 919, 14,188 miles currently, purchased in 9/06 w/ about 4k miles on it.

mods: i have a pcIII, sato pipes that I installed 5/07 w/kyle racing map. Haven't had any problems what so ever with it until now. Just drove it from cincinnati to chicago and then back in sept, with no probs. that was the first time it had seen rain on the ride up, maybe that could have done something?....

"running crappy" i would describe it as not firing on all cylinders, pretty similar to when i started it with the # 1 injector disconnected, if not the same, with the unburned fuel smell.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My first guess would be the PCIII as those seem to cause a number of problems around here. I highly doubt that rain would hurt your bike, mine sees daily use in one of the rainiest areas of the country without problem (yet)... 2002 with 26,000 miles.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

That sheds a very necessary light on your problem. PCIII's and their attendant wiring splices are prone to exactly this sort of intermittent failure. My advice is to remove it, make very sure there are no exposed splice ends that may short and cause another problem, and test ride it for a goodly distance. The chances are it won't give any further trouble. The basic lesson here is most failures are the result of non Honda additions, and you'll be bucks ahead to keep the electrical system as close to stock as possible: Honda knows quite well how to make things reliable for the very long term. My '02 has always gotten me where I want to go with nary a hiccup for over 60,000 miles, and I anticipate at least that much more before having to do anything other than basic maintenance.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Dirtbag

That robotic sound you hear when the red switch is turned on is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system. Because of the time you didn't hear it you should check your fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
That sheds a very necessary light on your problem. PCIII's and their attendant wiring splices are prone to exactly this sort of intermittent failure. My advice is to remove it, make very sure there are no exposed splice ends that may short and cause another problem, and test ride it for a goodly distance. The chances are it won't give any further trouble. The basic lesson here is most failures are the result of non Honda additions, and you'll be bucks ahead to keep the electrical system as close to stock as possible: Honda knows quite well how to make things reliable for the very long term. My '02 has always gotten me where I want to go with nary a hiccup for over 60,000 miles, and I anticipate at least that much more before having to do anything other than basic maintenance.

Rob
Well said, and after all the modifications and such I have done to my bikes over the years, THIS ONE IS STAYING STOCK!!!!!!!!!
I love it the way it is, and the only none stock stuff I may do is seat, mirrors, stuff like that, but pipes, performance and stuff, this bike is plenty fast enough for me, and I want reliability, my Harley Springer is sitting with another pinion shaft broken off, second one with less than 2000 miles this time around, well I guess that is what you get for making a 80 incher try to keep up with 103 inces and above. Pushed to it's extream limits I guess.....

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #9 of 10 Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I took my PCIII off of my bike. i drove it around the block but it was snowing so i didn't make it too far without a jacket... Hopefully that was the problem, but i won't know till i take it on a longer ride to see if it breaks down. Thanks! I'll update after i get it out on the road....

post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2008, 12:16 AM

I probably should have posted up here, but am having somewhat of the same issue, although not dying. Don't have a PCIII or anything, just some leo vince cans. My bike started stumbling all over itself when i would take off was about the only symptom I had. Had to keep the revs pretty high every time I took off from a start. Changed the plug and she was okay for a bit, but started to do the same thing, so we had to go deeper. Here's the deeper:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode