919 Front Brake Noise - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Coloradan

Question 919 Front Brake Noise

So I've read around as much as I can on the 919 and the front brake howl...

I'm heading out in to the garage now to take apart and inspect the front calipers/pads to see if everything is copacetic there, as well as put some 'quiet lube' on the back of the pads and make sure all the other ins etc are moving freely.

My question is:
I think my noise mainly occurs from excess heat build up on the front. When I roll my bike in and out of a parking space or the garage, it feels like sometimes without the front lever being pulled the brakes stay engaged... which if going on while I'm riding is bad (duh). As far as I can tell, if I push the lever out, that will normally cause them to disengage... I've played with the lever adjustment to get it farther out on the rebound, but it's pretty far off for me to reach now... How should I approach/deal with this? I've bled the fluid out, and it's topped off...

Thoughts? I'm pondering getting a rebuild kit for the master cylinder...

Thanks!
-Peter

Peter B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
I think you answered your own question. That seems like the best course of action because what you describe isn't what most of us experience with lite rotor/pad noise. Keep us posted.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaz4x4 View Post
So I've read around as much as I can on the 919 and the front brake howl...

I'm heading out in to the garage now to take apart and inspect the front calipers/pads to see if everything is copacetic there, as well as put some 'quiet lube' on the back of the pads and make sure all the other ins etc are moving freely.

My question is:
I think my noise mainly occurs from excess heat build up on the front. When I roll my bike in and out of a parking space or the garage, it feels like sometimes without the front lever being pulled the brakes stay engaged... which if going on while I'm riding is bad (duh). As far as I can tell, if I push the lever out, that will normally cause them to disengage... I've played with the lever adjustment to get it farther out on the rebound, but it's pretty far off for me to reach now... How should I approach/deal with this? I've bled the fluid out, and it's topped off...

Thanks!
-Peter
I don't know about the early Tokico calipers, but the later gold Nissan fronts use pads back with copper that in turn have a fibre/stainless steel shim clipped on. You do NOT want to lube those !

Check to see how free your caliper pistons are before cracking any hydraulics.
Maybe you have mucked up caliper pistons.
I'd be much more suspicious about the calipers than the Master, unless it has been overfilled or you have an aftermarket brake lever that is not quite right re the actuating pad.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Coloradan

Just got back in. Everything on the front calipers seemed ok. The pistons pushed back pretty easily, no debris in the pads, they seem worn evenly (all 4), and nothing else seemed off.

Just for quadruple verification - you fill the reservoir on the brake fluid to the line on the inside? That's where I had it last time... so I'm reasonably sure it's not overfilled... without a center-stand or wheel-stand it was interesting getting that leveled out.

I think I'll pick up a rebuild kit tomorrow. As far as I can tell the levers are stock, and the lever assembly appears to be out together and operating normally.

We'll have to see if I notice the brakes not disengaging when I let off the lever.

Peter B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode