4Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By HondaJim
  • 1 Post By marylandmike
  • 1 Post By CB 919

post #1 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

919 Essential Travel Mods

A search of threads did not satisfy my 'wants to know.
Yes, essential is a relative word.

This newbie wishes to modify a soon to be acquired Hornet for cross country trips. Bike to take the place of a Nighthawk CB750, whose seat I could never 'get right.' And believe me, tried everything.

So, all opinions welcome: in no particular order.

1. Seat: Sargent fits my a$$ on the DR650. Wasn't made for the N.H. Will probably go that route.

2. Handlebars: a lot written about replacement bars. Nothing about risers? Renthal Mid for a safe bet? Discussed elsewhere.

3. Soft Luggage attachments: how to keep saddlebags from flapping in the wind?

4. On-the-bike storage: Fuel bottle ? That spray can of chain lube, sunglasses, gloves, rain gear, air pump flat repair kit, lunch pail, water bottle, maps, coat liner, tire gauge.
How to attach a magnetic tank bag to the gas cap? Photo if you've got one.

5. Handwarmers: ???

6. Centerstand: also discussed elsewhere. Seems SW Motech gets the majority of votes. I only do the 2 point rear wheel lift on the DR, where there is something readily available to grab onto and ground clearance is an issue.

7. Engine and Fuel Mods:

8. Gas mileage improvement:

9. Fairing: When wind buffeting starts to bother me, I get in a cage. IMHO

10. " ":

the Hornet 919 may be a naked bike, but that doesn't mean she can't accessorize.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 PM
919 Rider

I recently fitted a set of bar risers. I was happy with the stock bars but was getting a sore back. 1 inch bar risers have helped a lot and didn't change the handling or feel of bike.

post #3 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Tirone

Garage
Hi Birddogvet, hope you'll have some good times in your travels.

About #3, if you didn't invest in a luggage system and are looking for something flexible I can't recommend enough Kriega bags. They can be attached to each other with a variety of combinations and are pretty durable. You strap down the main (biggest) bag to the chassis and then attach the other bags to it. I didn't get to test a multi-bag setup yet though, however I'm pretty happy with the build quality so far.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 PM
The Dead Head

Garage
I just got my seat back from Sargent, and love it (see photo). The sooner you get it to them, the sooner you'll get it back, but they are super busy right now. I bought a spare seat from eBay so I could ride while they were doing my original seat.
Tank bags are usually either magnetic, strap mount or tank ring mount. A few companies make a tank ring set up, you have to buy the ring, then choose a bag from the same company. You can also get a powered tank ring set up so you can charge a phone, power a GPS in the bag etc, etc. Givi & SW Motech are 2 examples of tank ring bags, they can get rather expensive. Not a bad idea, but I didn't want to have to pay for a ring, and then the bag. You would take the screws out of your gas filler assembly, put the ring over it, and put it back together with longer screws. The bag clicks in, pull a release to unmount the bag. I use magnetic bags. I have a bigger size Joe Rocket, and a Cortech 2.0 for a small bag/every day use. They both stay put, don't move at high speeds, and have not damaged my tank. Bigger magnetic bags will also have a yoke strap just for extra safety that you strap around your steering yoke or bars.

I recently installed a SW Motech center stand. I love it, and use it all the time. Hardest part was getting the springs on. I put a ratcheting strap around my rear wheel, and made a loop out of some thin nylon rope to hook on to the springs (inner & outer). Cranked it until the spring was in position and popped it on the center stand with a screwdriver. Just a tip if you decide to go that route.

I put a small windscreen on my bike, it's made by Puig, but I think you'll want something bigger. I suggest you check out Revzilla or Twisted Throttle for all you want to consider. Amazon & eBay are good source as well, nice to compare prices.

Installed Renthal mediums recently, pretty close to the OEM, just better geometry, and your wrists aren't twisted in so much. Keep in mind that the ID of Renthal bars is smaller than regular ⅞" bars, and most bar ends won't fit. They need to be 12-14mm

Not sure if you know about Sena bluetooth communications for newer helmets, but I installed on in my Bell Qualifier DLX, and love it. They come in handy if you have a passenger, ride with someone, listen to GPS, music, etc, etc

https://www.sena.com/product-category/smh-series/

Good luck and welcome!
Jeff

PS-Check out "what have you done for your bike today" post. You might get more ideas

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...day-24834.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170414_121612.jpg (85.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170409_155238.jpg (170.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170415_174655.jpg (162.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170405_191937_zpsjx7qnp48.jpg (146.7 KB, 44 views)

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!
post #5 of 30 Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Centurion

My setup:
17T front sprocket
Corbin seat (it will move you up & back--I needed 1 up & 1 back risers after the seat to get it back to normal)
Honda center stand
Ventura rack/bag(s)
Motovation sliders give me a different place to move my feet to for a few minutes

post #6 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 AM
Pilus Posterior

There's a chain/sprocket update sold here, search for the 17/44 chain mod. The fuel issues seem to be address with the PCIII mod.

These seem like common upgrades.

I'll talk about the soft side luggage.
The soft bags I have go on the side of the stock exhaust and attach to each other under the seat. They work ok for very light loads, but don't have much support.

I needed to move some stuff, so I fabbed up some temp brackets. The attachment points are:
1) the pass bar screws at the rear of the seat.
2) bolt under the seat near the exhaust where the exhaust can starts going down.
3) the pass foot peg.
4) a cross bar from one side to the other about where the rear turn signals are.

If you simply attach a small bracket to these points, you'll be able to carry a LOT more. I was going to use welding rod or some round tube to make a frame that connects these points. I ran out of time, so I just used some angle iron.

If you want to do this, you can mock it up pretty easy with some welding wire so you get the shape.

I made mine to handle some weight and I put one box on the rear foot rest. I'm just using mine as a temp mock up, but I now know where the attachment points are and where I need to have the bars to line up.

If you can weld, you can use 2 washers/spacers to connect to the rear grab handle screws. The foot peg, you can use the factory bolts, there's enough extra space there. The under the seat bolt was just a hole drilled in a flat bar and a few bends, you'll have what you need.

I attached a few pics of the goal. I've seen other make these out of alum and having them cut. Some mount fuel tanks on there, those ones with the center hold. The one pic show where you can have a large top luggage mount.

I think the only welding was for a spacer where the bolts go to the grab handle. I left the grab handle in place, so I needed about 1/4" spacer to clear the handle.

Once you have this support, you can use and luggage you want. Some use alum boxes, ammo boxes, heavy plastic boxes...

You can pickup some simple tube or thick welding rod for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supports-3-valises-givi-pour-honda.jpg (43.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg GiviMount.jpeg (9.0 KB, 135 views)
CB 919 likes this.

post #7 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 AM
Pilus Posterior

Here's a better pic.

Another option is to buy the Givi mount and don't buy the luggage, use your soft luggage with it. I can tell you with some support for the soft luggage, it makes all the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 256FZ.1.jpg (180.9 KB, 33 views)

post #8 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Great replies. thank-you

Am in the last phases of purchasing an '06. 3 to chose from, all within 200 miles. Thank-you Craigslist.

Coming from a Suzuki DR650 and the Nighthawk, I come with some preconceived notions.
Sold the Nighthawk in Costa Rica; looking forward to more national exploration.

Got used to a center-stand on the Nighthawk. Came down with some very nasty flats in Mexico and beyond. While everyone was immensely helpful, it was nice to be able to pop up the rear wheel instead of pulling out a jack or using a trail stand. Chain oiling- a breeze.
If anyone ever considers doing that kind of trip, do put an inner tube in your rear wheel.
SW here I......... 'How much?!!"

Have a Nelson Rigg magnetic tank bag and First Gear bags left over from my trip. "Shad side case mounts, nice to meet you."

You have all been great.
Tyron, would you interested in renting out that seat?

post #9 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 04:03 PM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogvet View Post
1. Seat: Sargent fits my a$$ on the DR650. Wasn't made for the N.H. Will probably go that route.
Had a Corbin, it was Meh... I had to tippy toe to get my feet to touch the ground, BUT was more comfortable than stock. So YMMV. If I had to do it over again, I would go Sargent.

Quote:
2. Handlebars: a lot written about replacement bars. Nothing about risers? Renthal Mid for a safe bet? Discussed elsewhere.
Thar Bars. Too low or too high? Just adjust them.

Quote:
3. Soft Luggage attachments: how to keep saddlebags from flapping in the wind?
Had a GIVI top case with SW Motech ALU-RACK and it was awesome. Worry more about the bags melting than flapping in the wind.

Quote:
4. On-the-bike storage: Fuel bottle ? That spray can of chain lube, sunglasses, gloves, rain gear, air pump flat repair kit, lunch pail, water bottle, maps, coat liner, tire gauge.
How to attach a magnetic tank bag to the gas cap? Photo if you've got one.
GIVI Tank Lock Tank bag... Bag doesn't touch the tank, so no scratches to the paint. As for what goes in it: Sunglasses, flat kit, multi tool, kickstand pad, baseball cap, bicycle lock (to lock helmet to bike if I'm walking away) and a cell phone. If I want water or lunch, I pick some up when I stop for gas.

Quote:
5. Handwarmers: ???
It's a naked bike, if your hands are cold, then the rest of you probably is as well...

Quote:
6. Centerstand: also discussed elsewhere. Seems SW Motech gets the majority of votes. I only do the 2 point rear wheel lift on the DR, where there is something readily available to grab onto and ground clearance is an issue.
Get whatever you can find. I had a SW Motech and it was nice.

Quote:
7. Engine and Fuel Mods:
PCV and custom dyno map

Quote:
8. Gas mileage improvement:
Buy a GROM.

Quote:
9. Fairing: When wind buffeting starts to bother me, I get in a cage. IMHO
You are joking right? If not, just buy a Windjammer.

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

'You are joking right? If not, just buy a Windjammer."

You are probably right. Appreciate the input.

post #11 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

"if your hands are cold, then the rest of you probably is as well...

Have yet to find a pair of hand muffs that don't get in the way of controls. Layers and First Gear winter riding suit are life savers. The suit also serves as rain gear and an emergency sleeping bag. Glove liners and leather gloves keep me comfortable to only about freezing.

Below 32/0, had to rely on the Nighthawk valve covers and cruise control for finger tip circulation.
South Texas early December Winter storm 2016.

post #12 of 30 Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I feel like it's getting harder and harder to ride the hornet open to the wind in it's oem form the more and more i use it for commuting...Trying to go to class carrying my helmet and 4 layers of clothing around is kind of annoying. Next winter I'll probably get heated gear, and some bags. Probably just one center bag on top of the rear seat cuz I split lanes pretty liberally on my commutes during rush hour...

BTW, what do you guys do about rain visibility? My lens fogs pretty easily, both the helmet lens AND my glasses so I get a double fog whammy and I'm nearly blind. And it's also hard to see with my lens covered in water. I suppose I can try that shoei pinlock with the anti fog lens and...rainx?

post #13 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I feel like it's getting harder and harder to ride the hornet open to the wind in it's oem form the more and more i use it for commuting...Trying to go to class carrying my helmet and 4 layers of clothing around is kind of annoying. Next winter I'll probably get heated gear, and some bags. Probably just one center bag on top of the rear seat cuz I split lanes pretty liberally on my commutes during rush hour...

BTW, what do you guys do about rain visibility? My lens fogs pretty easily, both the helmet lens AND my glasses so I get a double fog whammy and I'm nearly blind. And it's also hard to see with my lens covered in water. I suppose I can try that shoei pinlock with the anti fog lens and...rainx?
I have some ski equipment and one is a nose to neck cover... the nose part directs your breath down. I think if you run a small vent and increase the size of the stock nose deflector, that should help.

It's it mostly coming from the nose?

The upside of the nose t neck cover is that it keeps you warm too.

post #14 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 02:14 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I have a full face balaclava, it doesn't help enough. On a foggy morning when it's like 50 degrees, one breath when stopped and it's fogged completely over

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #15 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've got a Shoei with Pinlock. Works great when cold. Haven't fogged it yet.

Get yourself one of these. It's a squeegee that fits over a glove finger. Makes it easy to clean off your visor when raining.
Aerostich VeeWipe Squeegee :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

+1 for the Pinlock, 38 degrees riding to work the other day and the shield stayed clear no matter how hard i tried to fog it up

Dan
post #17 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

"......and Rain-ex" recall somewhere that the product is not meant for the type of plastics used in visors. Check out the bottle label first.

"Get yourself one of these. It's a squeegee that fits over a glove finger. Makes it easy to clean off your visor when raining." bought one from Aero. to avoid a shipping charge. IMHO a waste of money. Attached to your finger, it gets in your way. Used it once and fo-ge-abou-it. I keep the left gloved index finger as clean as possible for the needed swipe. Going fast enough there is the 'head twist' to the left and right to allow rain to be blown away.

Interior fogging is a pain. Some helmet designs just do it a bit better than others. Commercial products are short lived and expensive. See You Tube for the Dawn dishwashing soap solution.

post #18 of 30 Old 04-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I've got a Shoei with Pinlock. Works great when cold. Haven't fogged it yet.

Get yourself one of these. It's a squeegee that fits over a glove finger. Makes it easy to clean off your visor when raining.
Aerostich VeeWipe Squeegee :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Makes you wonder why they don't make double lens visors from the start. Seems like it would be a dimes worth of plastic at the time they make it. They could even have a shade in there that is flexible. It's dam hard to carry extra lenses for night/day.

post #19 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 05:21 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Makes you wonder why they don't make double lens visors from the start. Seems like it would be a dimes worth of plastic at the time they make it. They could even have a shade in there that is flexible. It's dam hard to carry extra lenses for night/day.
My Shoei has the drop down sun visor. I'm sure it adds some weight to the helmet, but it is nice not having to swap visors.

I resolved the whole rain on the visor issue a while back. I got a BMW with an electrically elevated windscreen. If you're moving, you're dry.
CB 919 likes this.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I use one of the Transitions shields. Solved the problem for me. When dark, it's not as clear as a true clear shield, but close enough. Great if you get caught out after dark on an afternoon ride.
CB 919 likes this.

post #21 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM
The Dead Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I use one of the Transitions shields. Solved the problem for me. When dark, it's not as clear as a true clear shield, but close enough. Great if you get caught out after dark on an afternoon ride.
Same here, my Bell Qualifier DLX came with the transitions shield. It works great, and it's pretty quick to transition from clear to dark, and vice-versa. I'm not sure why more helmets don't come with them, I think it's a great idea.
marylandmike likes this.

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!
post #22 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB 919 View Post
Same here, my Bell Qualifier DLX came with the transitions shield. It works great, and it's pretty quick to transition from clear to dark, and vice-versa. I'm not sure why more helmets don't come with them, I think it's a great idea.
I have a welding helmet that not only changes instantly, it's adjustable as to time and darkness. You can get them on sale for about $30.

I had glasses many years ago that autochanged.

It's odd that companies know of this need, yet they don't address it. Even the aftermarket can't do great with this because of the different shapes/sizes and attachment points.

post #23 of 30 Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Showing my age here, but am not much a fan of a visor taking the place of my pupils. Those lenses aren't cheap and I curse enough when that accidental scratch appears on my $35 plain visor.

But visor or sunglasses, when touring, do be mindful of tunnels. To go from bright sun to tunnel darkness = pucker factor.

You could plan to take a northwesterly route if you are an early morning travel riser and easterly when you decide to sleep in. Sooner or later you will get to where you want to go and maybe come across an unexpected pleasant surprise along the way. That is what makes travel touring so much fun.

post #24 of 30 Old 04-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Showing my age here, but am not much a fan of a visor taking the place of my pupils. Those lenses aren't cheap and I curse enough when that accidental scratch appears on my $35 plain visor.

But visor or sunglasses, when touring, do be mindful of tunnels. To go from bright sun to tunnel darkness = pucker factor.

You could plan to take a northwesterly route if you are an early morning travel riser and easterly when you decide to sleep in. Sooner or later you will get to where you want to go and maybe come across an unexpected pleasant surprise along the way. That is what makes travel touring so much fun.
Quite a few streets run West-East so that you get sun in your eyes in the morning /eve... There's a period of time when the sun can still be in your eye, but it's not light enough for sun glasses. It's not for long, but it happens. I usually tilt my head down and use the helmet as a sun block.

A good shield design would be double walled, adjustable sun block and upper block for evening riding.

post #25 of 30 Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Getting to know the bike and wondering what you use for 'cruise control.'
The standard throttle lock is not working very well with Renthal 7/8" bars.

The SW Motech center-stand went on easily enough. Happy with it. Using the left passenger foot peg guard to make for easier lifting onto the stand.

Installed a pig tail for an air pump. The Slime pump is too big to fit under the seat, so into the tank bag it must go.

The Nelson Rigg tank bag comes with two holes for water bladder tubing. I threaded a cable through the holes and around the frame for security.

post #26 of 30 Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Getting to know the bike and wondering what you use for 'cruise control.'
The standard throttle lock is not working very well with Renthal 7/8" bars.

The SW Motech center-stand went on easily enough. Happy with it. Using the left passenger foot peg guard to make for easier lifting onto the stand.

Installed a pig tail for an air pump. The Slime pump is too big to fit under the seat, so into the tank bag it must go.

The Nelson Rigg tank bag comes with two holes for water bladder tubing. I threaded a cable through the holes and around the frame for security.
Speaking of cable, I keep a cable/lock under the seat. I run it thru the tank bag, arm of the jacket, face of the helmet and thru the forks. Then I can leave the helmet, jacket, bag on the bike and remove anything expensive from the tank bag. That's one of the things that sucks about a bike is having to carry equipment around.

I wish someone would invent some breakdown secure storage that hides under the seat.

post #27 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

And so while Touring, what tools do you bring along? besides a cell phone and credit card?

post #28 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM
just send it.

Garage
Tire plug kit. It's NO fun getting a flat on a Sunday morning in the middle of bumluck nowhere.

[This space for rent]
post #29 of 30 Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
And so while Touring, what tools do you bring along? besides a cell phone and credit card?
I carry a high quality folding multitool, allens a bit of wire/string things like that. It's really an issue of how far you'd be from getting help and what's most likely to fail. Many things can be temp patched to get you back to running. There's a difference between broken and broken where you can't get the bike to a repair shop or get some tool.

post #30 of 30 Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Update:
Luggage- First Gear soft bags work well and attach with wide velcro straps that fit under the seat. (spare clutch cable now fits in a bag as opposed to under the seat.) D hooks were sewn to each bag to allow for attachment to the rear passenger pedal guard.
works okay and provides expandable storage space.

Off to explore the southeast in early July. Will let y'all know how it went.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode