919 ECM / ECU - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 ECM / ECU

Hi all,

Wondering if an ECM from a 2000-2001 929 will work on a 2003 919? Doing a little research online showed that the model number appears to be the same (38770-MCJ-671). Thanks!

New to the site

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The 919 ECM is part # 38770-MCZ-671
The 929 ECM is part# 38770-MCJ-671
Awfully close but that one little letter makes a world of difference
The 02-05 9ers used the same ECM

Dan
post #3 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks Voodooridr.... i noticed the difference shortly after I made my post. I was hoping they would be the same because there are a couple on eBay right now for $200. I think the ECM on my 919 is toast. Cheapest I foud new was $660.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Just a question but why do you think your ECM is fried?

Dan
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Does it have a big hole in it?

...on my Droid.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

No hole drilled in it, although it sounds like that happens a lot based on other posts I’ve seen.

I think the ECM is bad because when the key is turned on the fuel pump does not engage. Bike will turn over, but won’t fire up. Kill switch checks out, as does the bank angle sensor, fuses, and relays. I’ve gone through robtharalson’s awesome troubleshooting guide – found here https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/fue...ems-14216.html – and the result I got was a “Insufficient ground from the ECU to activate the relay consistently” (Both Black/White wires at the fuel pump relay have 12v, Brown wire has zero, Brown/Black wire has 11v) I’ve jumped the fuel pump and it turns on. I also have spark.

Two other posts I found with the same symptoms as my bike proved to be a bad ignition switch contacts, so I tested it with a new one and no dice, fuel pump still didn't prime.

I've read several posts and had people tell me that ECMs rarely go bad, but it's the only thing I can think of left to test.

I bought this bike cheap knowing that it had a fuel pump issue, so I'm really just trying get it running with as little into it as possible. My intention is to sell it in the Spring, but the longer I work on it the more I want to keep it. Seems like everyone loves their 919's!!

post #7 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I'd double and triple check your wiring harness and grounds.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
The 919 ECM is part # 38770-MCZ-671
The 929 ECM is part# 38770-MCJ-671
Awfully close but that one little letter makes a world of difference
The 02-05 9ers used the same ECM
Just a word of clarification on the subject of part numbers:

Honda Motorcycle Part Numbers

All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.

General Parts

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-217-600 (clutch friction plate for the CL160).

The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the CB160 clutch friction plate, all sharing function/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.

The second string of digits (XXXXX-217-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. Click here: Product Codes for a complete listing of older Honda product codes (big pdf file). 217 indicates that the CB/CL clutch friction plates where first used in the CB160. You will find these same plates with this number in later Honda Motorcycles. Some of the CB160 parts bear the 028 part code, indicating it was first used in the S90. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc.

All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 217 were originally designed for the CB160, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. It is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5.

Note that some pretty universal parts are still listed under General Parts number. For example most oil seals carry a general parts number. Luckily Honda parts fiche lists the actual dimensions for parts like this.

Standard Parts

Standard Parts have a part number divided into 2 sections, such as 93500-06032 (6mm x 32mm pan screw, for example right side engine cover).

The first string of digits indicates the function/type of the standard part, all pan screws are 93500-XXXXX.

The second digit indicates dimensions for the part.

Standard parts occasionally have a third string of digits indicating the ISO standard designation and chemical surface treatment.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

And now my brain hurts

Dan
post #10 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post

Just a word of clarification on the subject of part numbers:

Honda Motorcycle Part Numbers

All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.

General Parts

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-217-600 (clutch friction plate for the CL160).

The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the CB160 clutch friction plate, all sharing function/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.

The second string of digits (XXXXX-217-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. Click here: Product Codes for a complete listing of older Honda product codes (big pdf file). 217 indicates that the CB/CL clutch friction plates where first used in the CB160. You will find these same plates with this number in later Honda Motorcycles. Some of the CB160 parts bear the 028 part code, indicating it was first used in the S90. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc.

All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 217 were originally designed for the CB160, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. It is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5.

Note that some pretty universal parts are still listed under General Parts number. For example most oil seals carry a general parts number. Luckily Honda parts fiche lists the actual dimensions for parts like this.

Standard Parts

Standard Parts have a part number divided into 2 sections, such as 93500-06032 (6mm x 32mm pan screw, for example right side engine cover).

The first string of digits indicates the function/type of the standard part, all pan screws are 93500-XXXXX.

The second digit indicates dimensions for the part.

Standard parts occasionally have a third string of digits indicating the ISO standard designation and chemical surface treatment.
Wow this needs to get stickied and put in the helpful section

post #11 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
And now my brain hurts
In a nutshell:

"All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 217 were originally designed for the CB160, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models."

It's hard to digest all that information at once, but Honda has a unique parts identification system. Hopefully having this description will make it a little easier to to decipher.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
One just hit eBay for $175, IIRC. (Not mine.)

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #13 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks CB700s....do you have the link by chance? I can't seem to find it on eBay.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
http://bit.ly/1eHgiH3

Guy's mislabeled it, that's the EFI ECU.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #15 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the heads up! I bought it and will update this post once I've tested the new ECM.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflood View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I bought it and will update this post once I've tested the new ECM.
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Good find CB700s

post #17 of 17 Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

VICTORY!!! It was the ECM. I plugged the new one in, turned the key, and the fuel pump primed, so I added new gas, pulled the choke out and she fired right up. Big thanks to CB700S for the great find on eBay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode