919 Dumping Coolant - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
919 Dumping Coolant

Recently went on a charity ride which was very slow and my motorcycle became very hot. The fan never turned on and it was pouring coolant out of the overflow hose underneath like a faucet. When it ran out of coolant it started steaming out of the hose like a teapot. It drained all the way to empty.

I refilled it but my bike is still draining coolant and the fan still will not turn on. Thanks WT in advance for any and all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Sounds like you overheated it and blew a headgasket. Probably got some head warpage too.

post #3 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

A friend recently had a similar problem with a different bike. Turned out to be his thermostat. You could test yours in a lot of water on the stove to see if it opens. I hope you didn't damage your engine.

Spoiler:

post #4 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Recently went on a charity ride which was very slow and my motorcycle became very hot. The fan never turned on and it was pouring coolant out of the overflow hose underneath like a faucet. When it ran out of coolant it started steaming out of the hose like a teapot. It drained all the way to empty.

I refilled it but my bike is still draining coolant and the fan still will not turn on. Thanks WT in advance for any and all advice.
And ya never thought to turn it off?

really hope it's not wrecked man

try jumping the fan to see if it works, if so must be thermostat is toast. ...no pun intended

post #5 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Dewbie

Mine did that once and it turned out I hadn't plugged the fan back in after checking valve clearances. Hope it's something simple like that.

post #6 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
And ya never thought to turn it off?

really hope it's not wrecked man

try jumping the fan to see if it works, if so must be thermostat is toast. ...no pun intended
Didn't have the gauges connected to know how hot it was .
post #7 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Sounds like you overheated it and blew a headgasket. Probably got some head warpage too.
I really hope that isn't the case. How will I know? It rides fine till it gets warm, then the gears become increasingly difficult.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I really hope that isn't the case. How will I know? It rides fine till it gets warm, then the gears become increasingly difficult.
What do you mean the gears get more difficult? Like harder to shift?

Or it seems like the engine is struggling more as it gets hotter?

If the latter is true, you've more than likely hosed your engine and your rings are starting to bind in the bore, I'd guess. My old dirt bike did that and I still remember what it felt like right before it seized.

The 919 engine is pretty tough, though. Change your oil asap, and get a new thermostat. Get your gauges on before doing too much more so you know how hot it's getting, then test again.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The fan control relay gets the signal to activate from the ECU. The ECU, I am guessing gets the temperature from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor circuit. Just wondering if not having the gages installed makes that ECT sensor circuit not give the proper signal to the ECU, and in turn the ECU not activating the the fan control relay?

post #10 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:

Simple enough, your oil will be milky brown.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 04:38 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
Simple enough, your oil will be milky brown.
not always the case. The best way to check for any heat related issues (head, gaskets, valves et) is to perform leak down test. Google it.

post #12 of 21 Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
What do you mean the gears get more difficult? Like harder to shift?

If the latter is true, you've more than likely hosed your engine and your rings are starting to bind in the bore, I'd guess. My old dirt bike did that and I still remember what it felt like right before it seized.
Damnit! It's the first. I have been keeping this bike because it saved my life and I love the memories with it... But if I have to replace the engine so much of it will be changed that it won't be the same bike.

I'm going to take it to a friend (best in Tulsa for engines) and see if it can be saved. If I do an engine swap I will part out the goodies and sell the 919. Before the vultures start circling my brother gets first dibs.

post #13 of 21 Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Robert

Garage
I wish you the best of luck brother.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #14 of 21 Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
not always the case. The best way to check for any heat related issues (head, gaskets, valves et) is to perform leak down test. Google it.
Consider it googled, I just though since he was losing so much coolant, the odds of it ending up in the engine were decent.

Ive never blown a head gasket but have replaced one on my fathers boat, not the worse job ever I just hope the issue could be solved that easily.

Keep us updated wolf! The vultures aren't buzzing yet

post #15 of 21 Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
Consider it googled, I just though since he was losing so much coolant, the odds of it ending up in the engine were decent. Ive never blown a head gasket but have replaced one on my fathers boat, not the worse job ever I just hope the issue could be solved that easily. Keep us updated wolf! The vultures aren't buzzing yet
sometime head gasket let the coolant out into combustion chamber. No sights of it in the oil but engine will blow white steam out of the exhaust. Leak down is very easy and basically ultimate engine test. Valves, pistons, rings, head/head gasket etc can be checked with the leak down test. No need to buy any expensive tools. One can build the tester for under $40-50.

post #16 of 21 Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

My last blown head gasket forged combustion gases into the cooling system. Would spew out the overflow, but never steamed from the exhaust or entered the oil system.

post #17 of 21 Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
My last blown head gasket forged combustion gases into the cooling system. Would spew out the overflow, but never steamed from the exhaust or entered the oil system.
hopefully it's not the case in wolfs situation but very possible if he overheated the bike. Wolf, you can always to do a pressure test of your engine before you get the leak down tester. Get a hose end from the compression tester, screw it into the spurk plug, put the engine into TDC and keep it there with a breaker bar. Make sure to have someone hold the breaker bar or tie it securely so it won't move once you apply the air pressure. Again, secure the bar so it doesn't hit you in your nuts/head etc, very important. Connect the hose to your compressor with about 100 psi. Again, make sure that your bar is not about to whack you. Once pressure applied, look for signs of escaping air. Coolant bubbling in your radiator, air coming out of the oil fill hole - warped head/blown head gasket. Tailpipe - exhaust valve/seat, cylinder head gasket, cylinder head. Throttle body, intake, or air filter - intake valve/seat, cylinder head gasket, cylinder head. Radiator - cylinder head gasket, cylinder head PCV, Breather, or other crankcase opening - piston rings, cylinder wall, piston, cylinder head gasket, cylinder head. Outside - spark plug, cylinder head gasket, cylinder head, DI fuel injector

post #18 of 21 Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Princeps Prior

I had something similar happen on a Gsxr I had. Turns out the radiator cap wasn't sealing, and when the coolant got hot it would just come out of the overflow. Bypassing the seal in the cap. Good luck brother! It's usually the simple things. Check fuses and relays. Put power to the fan. Check thermostat. Hope for the best

post #19 of 21 Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:

Damnit! It's the first. I have been keeping this bike because it saved my life and I love the memories with it... But if I have to replace the engine so much of it will be changed that it won't be the same bike.

I'm going to take it to a friend (best in Tulsa for engines) and see if it can be saved. If I do an engine swap I will part out the goodies and sell the 919. Before the vultures start circling my brother gets first dibs.
Hey man even people get heart transplants. Don't give up too easily! Good luck!

post #20 of 21 Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Road Pilot

Garage
Update!

Thanks everyone for the great troubleshooting info and advice!

Trying all the cheap easy fixes first. Fan fuse blew and I replaced it. Checked the thermostat, thermostat checked out. Like redline, my friend also suggested to replace the radiator cap. He said "There is a spring that pushes that rubber seal down onto the radiator and if the spring gets weak or the seal isn't sealing it will cause it to leak out of the overflow hose". It's worth a $10 try. If that doesn't stop the leak, it's most likely the head gasket.

She's running great too btw. I ran it at the track and pulled off advanced class times at the local track . She still keeps up with the R1s, I am just frequently checking my coolant levels.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great troubleshooting info and advice!

Trying all the cheap easy fixes first. Fan fuse blew and I replaced it. Checked the thermostat, thermostat checked out. Like redline, my friend also suggested to replace the radiator cap. He said "There is a spring that pushes that rubber seal down onto the radiator and if the spring gets weak or the seal isn't sealing it will cause it to leak out of the overflow hose". It's worth a $10 try. If that doesn't stop the leak, it's most likely the head gasket.

She's running great too btw. I ran it at the track and pulled off advanced class times at the local track . She still keeps up with the R1s, I am just frequently checking my coolant levels.
Is it still overheating/losing coolant since replacing the fan fuse? Just curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode