919,CB900 Hornet Aftermarket Front Sprocket Clunk - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
yeah nah nah nah yeah nah

919,CB900 Hornet Aftermarket Front Sprocket Clunk

Hello

I recently obtained a 2002 Hornet 919. I replaced the chain and sprockets with brand new RK GXW chain and sprockets as the OEM ones were well worn. When I put the new front sprocket I noticed a significant amount of rotational play. I figured that must be normal.
Now my issue is that when accelerating (usually when releasing the clutch) I often get this clunk that seems like sprocket play. The chain is tensioned and adjusted correctly and still freshly lubed from the box. I've only ridden about 150kms total.

Before I go buying new front sprockets, has anyone had any issues with different aftermarket sprockets? Does the OEM sprocket do this too?
Is the gearbox just clunky and I should just live with it?

Cheers
Vinny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Tirone

Did the spines on the counter shaft look square? If you think it has more play than the old one you took off, take it apart and double check the fit of each one. I used an OE sprocket and noticed a loose fit but nothing that made me think it would skip.

Are you sure the clunk isn't from the cush drive?

post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Left of Centre

I had "sprocket clunk" when I had an issue with front / rear sprocket alignment with a 520 chain set-up - something you could check?

post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I had "sprocket clunk" when I had an issue with front / rear sprocket alignment with a 520 chain set-up - something you could check?
Just wondering, what was the issue that you had with the 520 setup? I've got a 520 setup, I've heard some get the sprockets on backwards. It was discussed here and I wrote down on the packages how to install them. I remember someone getting it wrong and having some pretty serious problems.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranjvoodoo View Post
Did the spines on the counter shaft look square? If you think it has more play than the old one you took off, take it apart and double check the fit of each one. I used an OE sprocket and noticed a loose fit but nothing that made me think it would skip.

Are you sure the clunk isn't from the cush drive?
The bike only has 20k kms and I don't recall seeing any significant wear on the splines. I'll be sure to check it again. I'll put the old sprocket back on and go for a quick test ride to see if it clunks. if it doesn't I guess that solves my issue- will just buy a new OEM sprocket.
TBH no I'm not sure it isn't the cush drive at all. How could I check this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I'm running 530 at the moment. I just aligned the wheel using the marks on the adjusters but have read somewhere that they can be inaccurate. I'll take the chain cover off and visually check the chain alignment.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Just wondering, what was the issue that you had with the 520 setup? I've got a 520 setup, I've heard some get the sprockets on backwards. It was discussed here and I wrote down on the packages how to install them. I remember someone getting it wrong and having some pretty serious problems.
I assumed when I installed the drive sprocket that the numbers stamped on the sprocket when out, ie, faced you when the sprocket went on the shaft. But judging by the wear on the back side of the sprocket [after 25,000 mi, admittedly], it might have been better round the other way, as the shoulders on the sprocket are not even, and it looked like the chain wanted to run further out from the engine cases than it was able to.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 PM
McTavish

OK, so the bike is new to you, so you don't have history to go by.
Perhaps the clunk is not directly related to the new sprockets and chain, but maybe it is, or in concert with something else.

Therefore suggested is:
Check the end float of the front sprocket, noting there is supposed to be some.
Check the amount of play between the front sprocket and the shaft, noting that being a slip fit, means there has to be at least a hair of play.
Check the orientation of the front sprocket re on correctly or reversed.
Check the orientation of the rear sprocket re on correctly or reversed.
After aligning the rear wheel and adjusting the chain, visually eye the chain run for any obvious runout.
One could also use the Rob Tharlson Method of Rear Wheel Alignment re the sound check of the chain.
Check the cush drive.

Go from there.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
OK, so the bike is new to you, so you don't have history to go by.
Perhaps the clunk is not directly related to the new sprockets and chain, but maybe it is, or in concert with something else.

Therefore suggested is:
Check the end float of the front sprocket, noting there is supposed to be some.
Check the amount of play between the front sprocket and the shaft, noting that being a slip fit, means there has to be at least a hair of play.
Check the orientation of the front sprocket re on correctly or reversed.
Check the orientation of the rear sprocket re on correctly or reversed.
After aligning the rear wheel and adjusting the chain, visually eye the chain run for any obvious runout.
One could also use the Rob Tharlson Method of Rear Wheel Alignment re the sound check of the chain.
Check the cush drive.

Go from there.
I've not heard the term "end float" before. Does this mean the play along the length of the splines as opposed to across the splines?
I fitted both sprockets with the text imprints facing outwards.

I'll put the bike up on the stand this weekend and see what I can find. Thanks for all the advice guys. This gives me a good starting point. I'll check back soon.

Cheers
Vinny.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyzuk View Post

I've not heard the term "end float" before. Does this mean the play along the length of the splines as opposed to across the splines?

I fitted both sprockets with the text imprints facing outwards.

Cheers
Vinny.
Yes.
By design, the drive sprocket is not clamped, but is retained.

That's normative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode