919 Broken horn - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By garyb900

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

919 Broken horn

Hi there,

Horn on my 919 recently stopped working. Im not very mechanically inclined so forgive the ignorance, but this is the horn right (lower right hand side of the bike)? Obvious culprit is that the wire has split from the terminal. Any suggestions as to how I can fix it?

Presumably if I bought a new horn it still wouldn't work because there no power going to the terminal? I don't have a soldering iron but is it worth buying one to see if I can just solder it to patch the connection?

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1994.JPG (66.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1993.JPG (56.1 KB, 14 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Go to an auto parts store and get some crimp style terminal connectors. You can get an assortment pack that also comes with the crimpers. Strip the wire insulation back a small bit, insert into connector, and crimp it. Or buy the solder type (better) and solder a new one on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terminal connectors.jpg (18.5 KB, 7 views)

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll do that. Just to make sure I understand correctly I'm crimping the wire running from the bike to a new terminal, and just getting rid of the old terminal right?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

As long as there is still a spot to land the new terminal, yes. It's hard to tell from the pics. If the terminal just came off of the wire just crimp or solder a new one on and be done with the old one.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi HondaJim, just wanted to say I finally had a crack at this and it worked perfectly! So thanks for your help. Only issue is that I couldn't figure out a way of transferring over the rubber housing that encases the terminal, so its now exposed. Is that going to be an problem? I was thinking I could try slicing open the housing that I removed from the old terminal and putting it around the new one then sealing it with electrical tape perhaps?

post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarko21 View Post
Hi HondaJim, just wanted to say I finally had a crack at this and it worked perfectly! So thanks for your help. Only issue is that I couldn't figure out a way of transferring over the rubber housing that encases the terminal, so its now exposed. Is that going to be an problem? I was thinking I could try slicing open the housing that I removed from the old terminal and putting it around the new one then sealing it with electrical tape perhaps?
Haven't ever tried this but I've seen it at stores.
Liquid Electrical Tape
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled.png (46.3 KB, 15 views)
Diablo likes this.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 AM
The Cripple

I've got a working oem horn if you want it. Just pay shipping and its yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode