919 and 599 headlight swap? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
919 and 599 headlight swap?

Is it possible to put a '06 599 headlight on a '07 919? I'm thinking the 599 headlight will fit on the 919 but it looks like the 599 has two bulbs and the 919 has one. Anyway to make this work? I'm no electrician...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Semper Vigilo

post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Yeah I searched for the search bar. You know the one with the little magnifying glass... the one that isn't there. Just saw it in the middle of the tool bar.

my name is steve
i live in a box
my favorite color is clear

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Ian

I have a 599 headlight on my 919. Its OEM build quality and relaibility in a stylish design.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Yeah I was just reading thru the older tread about the swap. Is that how you swapped yours Heli?

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Ian

Yeah pretty much .... but I wired it up myself (like ROB-T described) so when you turn on the high beam the low beam stays on all the time. Great light output and has been issue free for a few years now.

- Wire the low beam (with a inline fuse) into the "key on hot" side of the ingnition key harness .... on the bike side of the harness so that if you have to switch out ignition key unit you won't have to mess with the headlight again.

- Wire the high beam into the original high beam trigger wire.

- Use the ground from the orignal hadlight wiring for both.

Orignally with the OEM 919 headlight when you hit the starter button the headlight cuts off dirrecting all available voltage to the starter .... if you wire it as described above you will lose this feature .... I have not had any problems with my set up like this.

You will also need to use a few washers stacked up under the headlight brackets as a spacer. The 599 bucket is wider so the 919 mounts need to be spaced out a touch to make it all jive together. Also make sure to solder and heatshrink everything and turn the bars a few times to mek dure your wire routing is smooth and issue free.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Awesome! Thanks.

my name is steve
i live in a box
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Semper Vigilo

The hardest part is fitting the wiring harness and connectors into the 599 bucket, it takes some time to get everything in it without being in the way.
I used velcro on some of the connectors and stuck them to the inside of the bucket to keep them in place. Don't try to force the housing into the bucket.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
Yeah pretty much .... but I wired it up myself (like ROB-T described) so when you turn on the high beam the low beam stays on all the time. Great light output and has been issue free for a few years now.

- Wire the low beam (with a inline fuse) into the "key on hot" side of the ingnition key harness .... on the bike side of the harness so that if you have to switch out ignition key unit you won't have to mess with the headlight again.

- Wire the high beam into the original high beam trigger wire.

- Use the ground from the orignal hadlight wiring for both.

Orignally with the OEM 919 headlight when you hit the starter button the headlight cuts off dirrecting all available voltage to the starter .... if you wire it as described above you will lose this feature .... I have not had any problems with my set up like this.

You will also need to use a few washers stacked up under the headlight brackets as a spacer. The 599 bucket is wider so the 919 mounts need to be spaced out a touch to make it all jive together. Also make sure to solder and heatshrink everything and turn the bars a few times to mek dure your wire routing is smooth and issue free.
Similar in my case but since I already had a Power Distribution Module, I have one light on one circuit (Hi in my case) always ON and both light Ground controlled by the Hi-Low switch on a separate switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007BruteForece View Post
The hardest part is fitting the wiring harness and connectors into the 599 bucket, it takes some time to get everything in it without being in the way.
I used velcro on some of the connectors and stuck them to the inside of the bucket to keep them in place. Don't try to force the housing into the bucket.
I also pulled some of the main harness out of the 919 bucket to make space for the 599 connector.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
I also pulled some of the main harness out of the 919 bucket to make space for the 599 connector.
Same here. Rob's write-up is great if you want to wire it together yourself. For me, I wanted plug and play so I could revert back to stock at a moment's notice so I got the eastern beaver harness. One unfornseen advantage of using the harness was that I was able to pull out more of the plugs on the main harness in the bucket and reroute them to the inside the neck where the pairs valves normally are (i removed them). This gave me more room to work with bit the space in the bucket is still a major pain in the ass to say in the least. In the 599 headlight thread, iirc, I put a picture there that shows how I routed the remaining harness to make the bucket fit.

Whatever you do, do not force it! You'll just split the bucket. Don't ask me how I know...

One last thing, some people have upgraded their bulbs/sockets. This is on my to do list, but been putting it off for a few years now because dealing with the harness is that much of a pain in the ass. If you want to do the bulb upgrade, do it all at once would be my suggestion.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I've got the Eastern Beaver harness for my conversion too, I opted to get their 3cs power adaptor at the same time, now just need to find a couple days of not being able to ride so I can get it all installed

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode