900rr rear wheel for the 919 question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

900rr rear wheel for the 919 question

Does it matter what year 900rr rear wheel to swap on the 919? I tried searching but couldn't find it. Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Ian

any year 900rr from 92-99 will bolt right up. Here is one of the original 900rr/F3 threads, lots of great info inside.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...19-a-7499.html

post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech
any year 900rr from 92-99 will bolt right up. Here is one of the original 900rr/F3 threads, lots of great info inside.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...19-a-7499.html
Thank you good sir

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Ian

No problem.

All the 919 rear wheel parts just bolt right on, no muss no fuss. Although I did find on my wheel swap that the rotor had very low clearance on the outboard side when passing through the caliper bracket. I used a file to open the aluminum bracket a bit, just to keep it all centered nice and true.

post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
No problem.

All the 919 rear wheel parts just bolt right on, no muss no fuss. Although I did find on my wheel swap that the rotor had very low clearance on the outboard side when passing through the caliper bracket. I used a file to open the aluminum bracket a bit, just to keep it all centered nice and true.
Good to know. I finally found and picked up the front wheel with rotors, spacers,bearings and axle for cheap off CL. Now I'm on the hunt for the rear wheel. Found a couple on *Bay. Time to get ride of the old 3 spoke chromed guys! Thanks again.

post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Hopefully I have the correct rotors. The front wheel is from a 97 Vfr750. Edit I just checked won't work looks like I need those 10 buttons.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Ian

So you already have the rotors for the VFR front wheel? If so you should be able to make them work, maybe some shimming will be required.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
So you already have the rotors for the VFR front wheel? If so you should be able to make them work, maybe some shimming will be required.
Yes it came with the rotors. So try to shim the caliper brackets?

post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Ian

Well you can shim at two different spots to get it all lined up.

- You can shim the actual rotor to bring it out away from the hub/wheel
- And you can shim the caliper away from the fork lower to center the pad carrier section over the rotor.

First thing I would do is remove the calipers and zip tie them back out of the way, no need to pop the lines if you don't have to.

Then I would get the front wheel with the rotors installed and centered between the fork legs, this may take mix and matching and even trimming the 919 and VFR/CBR spacers to get it all squared up. I use a few measurements from the wheel lip out to the fork legs to make sure everything is centered up

Next remove the pads from from the calipers then try to reinstall the calipers, if you find it needs to move out away from the fork leg use some stainless washers as spacers to get it all squared. If you have to shim it out a fair bit you may need new bolts to keep them in safety.

Get the wheel on then get a few pics of the setup, odds are it only needs a few minor tweaks.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Well you can shim at two different spots to get it all lined up.

- You can shim the actual rotor to bring it out away from the hub/wheel
- And you can shim the caliper away from the fork lower to center the pad carrier section over the rotor.

First thing I would do is remove the calipers and zip tie them back out of the way, no need to pop the lines if you don't have to.

Then I would get the front wheel with the rotors installed and centered between the fork legs, this may take mix and matching and even trimming the 919 and VFR/CBR spacers to get it all squared up. I use a few measurements from the wheel lip out to the fork legs to make sure everything is centered up

Next remove the pads from from the calipers then try to reinstall the calipers, if you find it needs to move out away from the fork leg use some stainless washers as spacers to get it all squared. If you have to shim it out a fair bit you may need new bolts to keep them in safety.

Get the wheel on then get a few pics of the setup, odds are it only needs a few minor tweaks.
Awesome will do. I wish I could use the 919 rotors they are Galfer waves

post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

To complicate things more I have F4i forks. Not sure it that affects anything. Bout to do some trial and error

post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Ian

I did my F4i fork swap after the wheel swap, no changes to the shimming was required. So you should be alright.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I did just some measuring with my handy HF big ass caliper tool. It looks like I only need to shim a total of a lil less than 3/8". Now I just need to get it mocked up with the proper spacers/ collars and its off to be blasted and PC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode