5W-30 OK? - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
5W-30 OK?

Did a search, did not find any results that confirmed whether or not I could run 5W-30 full synthetic (Mobil 1) on the 919. I have 4 quarts of the stuff leftover from before I sold my old S2000, wondering if I can use it or if I have to go out and get some of the recommended 10W-40.

What I *do* know from the searches:
1. At least the oil I have is not an "energy saver" or "fuel efficiency" type of oil.
2. The bike has 4200 miles on it now, so it seems like it is OK to switch to full synthetic at this point.
3. I won't be riding it in the freezing cold, so I think the 5W part is OK.

So can I save a few bucks and use what I have, or should I add some 5W-40 to my Amazon order along with the filter?

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

919 takes 10-40. I'd say it's fine running that oil, unless you spend a lot of time in 90 degree weather with the fans constantly kicking on, or, you do a track day. Just switch back to 10-40 for the next oil change.

As you know, some oils have friction modifiers and such and don't play well with our clutches. Motorcycle oil is designed to work in both the motor and the transmission, so I've actually noticed that motorcycle oil shifts more smoothly than automotive oil, even if they are the same brand and are both their top spec oil. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and drain it back out.

post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Generally when you contaminate a motorcycle transmission with oil that contains friction modifiers that cause the friction plates in the clutch to slip then just changing the oil again will not stop the slippage problem.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My bud had accidentally gotten the friction modifier stuff and changed it and it was fine after that, but I'd prolly take LDH's word over mine

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 03:27 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Kinda depends on how hard you run it. I've seen guys use Mobil1 car oil in their bikes for years and never experience a slippage problem ever when they ride it around like a sane & sensible person, but when you start hammering on it you will usually become very aware of the problem and of course the more hp you have the worse it shows.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM
McTavish

Yes, stay away from car/truck oils that have friction modifiers.
Stick with a xW40 JASO labelled oil from a reputable maker of high grade oils with specs you can find and compare.
The word "synthetic" is so badly corrupted nowadays that as a word, it means little on its own.
Be it 0W, 5W, or 10W you'll be fine.
Remember, cold 0W, 5W and 10W oils are all way thicker at startup temp than 40 weight oil is heated up to operating temp.
I'd avoid any xW30.
I saw 213 F oil temp on the filter body during my 919 dyno runs, so the oil was even hotter, probably in the 220 F zone.
I use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 in the 919.
I used to use Mobil1 Motorcycle 10W40.
I used Motul 300V5X40 in the GSX-R750 track bike, and will also use it in my ancient SOHC CB750 whenever I get it back on the road.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Discen

Don't let $20-$30 worth of oil be your reason for a bad day. If you need to gear down to throttle around or pass on a freeway the last thing you need is clutch slippage. Just my 2 cents.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Thanks as always folks. Found that Rotella 15W-40 was just $13/gallon, so I picked up a jug of that instead. I guess I'll save the Mobil1 for the car.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode