2007 919 exhaust noise problem - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

2007 919 exhaust noise problem

Hello everyone,

So, a lil bit of background about my hornet: I have a 2007 919, pretty much everything is stock on it, except the colour and the muffler, which the previous owner has removed the baffles. I live in Canada where the temperatures go way below zero. During the off season I keep my bike in a non-heated garage and I winterize it.

Until yesterday I used to start the bike every weekend or so and let it run for 5-10 min. I thought that it would be good for it. But, since last weekend I have an issue.

So I start the bike as usual with the choke on and let it run. The sound was good as usual. My fault was that, by mistake, I reved it too soon and a bit too high. As soon as I did that my exhaust sound changed. Also it backfires once in a while. I know I shouldn't have done that and that it's not good to start it in the winter. (I found out yesterday) But unfortunately, it's too late now.

My question to all of you bike savvies is, can you please help me identify the problem? (it's winter now and I'll have to wait until end of March to bring it to the garage. Nonetheless, I want to know how much money to put aside.)

Here's the regular / normal sound:

https://youtu.be/d93lhtotE_I

And here's the sound that I filmed this weekend :

https://youtu.be/jXh_FC-BNe4

Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciated!

Bogdan T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Tesserarius

Check your connections onto your coils, the little female plugs get cracked sometimes. That or the spark plug wires themselves.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 AM
just send it.

Garage
My bet is that the popping noise is the fact that the PAIR valve isn't blocked off. If you wack the throttle, it's going to pop like it did in the last seconds of your video.

Why does it sound more raspy? I dunno.

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
My bet is that the popping noise is the fact that the PAIR valve isn't blocked off. If you wack the throttle, it's going to pop like it did in the last seconds of your video. Why does it sound more raspy? I dunno.
He's actually missing on 2 cylinders, I know the sound cus I've been there done that! Shit ain't fun.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Not sure how long it's been stored, but unless you are bringing the bike up to charging RPM, idling it is draining the battery.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 PM
RIDE RED

Sounds like it's missing to me fire it up and see if all your header down pipes get hot that'll pinpoint which cylinder/s it's missing on and you can go from there

post #7 of 7 Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you everyone for your input. As soon as the weather improves, I try all of your suggestions. I will post to keep you guys updated. Thank you once again! Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode