2006 Honda 919 Project, phase one. Notes pictures and bad drawings... - Wrist Twisters
 10Likes
  • 3 Post By Mark61
  • 1 Post By ewmin3m
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By HondaJim

post #1 of 12 Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
2006 Honda 919 Project, phase one. Notes pictures and bad drawings...

All,

Attached is a document that I built while doing a little project on my 919 this winter. I have done several projects years back but never really took the time to document the work. Parts and pieces of the project were posted on a thread started by ahung called “winter build”. I mentioned on there that I would post my entire document when the project was complete. I thought this would give each step of it some continuity. In any case, this is how it turned out...

To view document go to the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EY4.../view?ths=true
ewmin3m, Islandboy and n4cr like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Centurion

Garage
excellent write up sir. Excellent !! *clap* *clap* *clap* ...

Also your bike is clean AF looks stock and runs like a charm
Mark61 likes this.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Pilus Posterior

So it was mainly just switching the cams to the 900RR cams and working the head, and removing the cat. You got a 14% improvement from that... unreal.

Amazing job.

The welding of the cam is one thing that would scare most away. Glad someone actually did a dyno on this because most mods never get past "if feels faster".

I hope that Google Drive doesn't end up the same as those picture hosts we've had before where after a few years, it's a dead link.
Mark61 likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 01:10 AM
919 Rider

Bravo Mark.
Mark61 likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Thanks KarlJay,

If I had to estimate the hierarchy of what made the difference in terms of net gains, I would say: 1 the cylinder head, 2 the fuel injection or TB's, 3 the cams, and 4 the exhaust. That would be my estimate based on visual assessment and specifications, but again, this would just be my estimate. In the old days I would make changes one at a time to really determine individual component values. Some things are more important than others and some add no value to a given configuration. In my old age, I am looking forward to riding more than working once the weather breaks. So I just drew from past experiences and touched what I thought needed help. In any case on initial disassembly, I was very optimistic about the potential of this little motor as it pertains to making a few extra ponies without selling the farm. Great bikes for such tinkering or anything else one wants to do.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Pilus Posterior

The upside is that these bike aren't very expensive compared to some others. You can pick up a good one for < 3K.

I did that kinda work on my 700S, it was about an 6~700 investment. Alum heads aren't so hard to port after you've done iron

Did you make the velocity stacks?

With the 700S the carb jet kit and K&N combo make a good difference.

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm at the edge of the 919's stock power. I was on the 700 canyon carving and after a while I was getting to it's limit on power, but I haven't done that with the 919 (yet).
Mark61 likes this.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
No, the bike has velocity stacks already on it that are in the air box.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Tesserarius

I'm hoping you and I can get together sometime this season, Mark. You can ride my 990 Super Duke, and maybe you'll allow me to try your "919RR".

Where did you Dyno your bike?
Mark61 likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Sure Snyder-X, we will definitely get together this summer and you are more than welcome to ride the 919. I had my bike dunked at Commonwelth, the same place as you.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Tesserarius

My bad... I should have looked at your Dyno sheet closer. This is mine after the Rottweiler intake, before and after being tuned. My point being if you got a 919 to equal a KTM 990, that is quite an achievement. In my book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1951.jpg (206.6 KB, 25 views)
Mark61 likes this.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Very impressive Snyper-X. I an sure that is a great ride, especially with all the instant torque! Do you have a picture of your bike?

post #12 of 12 Old 04-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Mark, what a small world. John and I have known each other for years, worked together, and rode together. Same goes for Bernie. I live right down the road from John. Nice work on the 9'er.
Mark61 likes this.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode