2002 919 - Smoke then bike is dead - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

2002 919 - Smoke then bike is dead

Was a daily rider until November when I put it up for the season. Pulled it out today, bike was dead so I jumped it, then let it run for an hour while sitting in the driveway. Pulled the cables off, brapped the throttle a couple of times then heard a pop, saw smoke under the tank and then complete loss of power. I just put it back up instead of taking the tank off to look due to lack of time today, but anyone have an armchair diagnoses they think makes sense?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM
just send it.

Garage
So you jumped the bike, then let the bike idle for an hour WITH the jumper cables still attached?

There are so many things wrong with that. You should just cut your losses and have someone else fix it.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscro View Post
Was a daily rider until November when I put it up for the season. Pulled it out today, bike was dead so I jumped it, then let it run for an hour while sitting in the driveway. Pulled the cables off, brapped the throttle a couple of times then heard a pop, saw smoke under the tank and then complete loss of power. I just put it back up instead of taking the tank off to look due to lack of time today, but anyone have an armchair diagnoses they think makes sense?
If the date today was April 1st. this post would be a good one!

If this is real and you do plan to repair this yourself look for melted wires, blown fuses, melted stator insulation, failed R/R. Things like that. And if someone suggested this as a good method to prep your bike for the spring then have them write you a check.
You might want to invest in a battery charger...

post #4 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So the diagnosis is I'm a dumb ass? I think that's probably correct.

After Googling some after I posted here I realized what I did, I KNEW this and for some reason it didn't even come to mind as I did it anyways this morning. Good lord.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM
just send it.

Garage
First check the easy stuff. Fuses and relays. Actually replace fuses one at a time. They might look good but could be bad.
If it's none of that fixes it, what DOES your bike do? Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you flip then kill switch?

post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 03:32 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Wait... so the bike was running as well as the car you were using to charge it? Dope! I've done the latter for maybe 10-15m but the battery was off the bike. (Shorai batteries don't like tenders)

If you're looking to replace a lot of stuff you might start looking for a wrecked bike to salvage electrical components from. Should be relatively cheap that way... would it be a lot of stuff to replace is the question?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The car wasn't started.

After the pop and smoke, I get nothing when I turn the ignition on the bike. Nadda. The smoke came from directly under the gas tank right above the battery. Already looked at fuses, but I didn't just try replacing them even if they looked fine since I did hear the pop/see smoke under the tank.

Taking off the tank, the green wire going to the fuel pump is fried from the harness back. So that's what I saw burn. That's the beginning of the fun.

post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
The car wasn't started.

After the pop and smoke, I get nothing when I turn the ignition on the bike. Nadda. The smoke came from directly under the gas tank right above the battery. Already looked at fuses, but I didn't just try replacing them even if they looked fine since I did hear the pop/see smoke under the tank.

Taking off the tank, the green wire going to the fuel pump is fried from the harness back. So that's what I saw burn. That's the beginning of the fun.
This looks awfully similar to the below thread

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ake-63066.html

Looks like he was on the right track, but the thread just kind of ended.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Most likely a relay of some sort. Fuses usually just 'go', without much fanfare.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
This looks awfully similar to the below thread

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ake-63066.html

Looks like he was on the right track, but the thread just kind of ended.
And his last post ever on this forum was on that thread... that doesn't bode well.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

How's the battery?

post #12 of 12 Old 04-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
The car wasn't started.

jscro - Let us know how you are doing on this challenge.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode