1973 suzuki ts 400 NO FIRE - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

1973 suzuki ts 400 NO FIRE

I just picked up a ts 400 in rough shape. No on/off switch, no battery, and no spark. I need some help with the spark part. Does the battery have to deal with initial spark? There is a four prong female plug that comes from the magneto ith a blue wire yellow with white stripe wire and two solid wires? Does anybody know what they are? Any hhelp wwould be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM
The Cripple

hello and welcome. sorry i cant help you as we mainly specialize in the honda 919, not suzuki. however, basic mechanics are the same across the board so some people should be able to answer your question. is you bike a kick start or electric start? if there's both, there might be hope. either way, we need more information please.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Kickstart no starter at all... cleaned the magneto with sand paper but still no spark... its supposed to have a battery but not there...im thinking the battery generates initial spark?

post #4 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Kickstart no starter at all... cleaned the magneto with sand paper but still no spark... its supposed to have a battery but not there...im thinking the battery generates initial spark?

I just love the fact that somebody has a good chance at reviving this bike.

I think you need the battery for one. Second, cleaning a sparking system with sand paper may yield a glass coating over the gap.

The carb is probably in need of a good rebuild. See if you can find the rebuild kits and a good carb cleaner with the little dipping basket for the parts. Keep in mind that pro carb cleaner dip will in fact make aluminum parts disappear if they are left in too long. It is STRONG stuff.

Can you post some pics of your bike?

Maybe this might come in handy:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from..._id=1133520946

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #5 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well i took the magneto apart and the points were not magnetic so i hooked up a battery and they became magnitized...so now i need to find the right battery and the cable that connects to the four prong female clip on the bike...its discontinued any ideas of where to get one?

post #6 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
The Cripple

ebay is your friend, so is google, not the pansty moderator on here, the actual search engine.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

From the information I have been able to find the ignition is a self generating CDI type which should have nothing to do with the battery. Also found a parts fiche here: suzuki partsmanual fiche ts400 1973 1977 usa partslist which lists the magneto as having two primary coils and no points, implying a CDI, but I have been unable to confirm this. To find out look for the electrical box the ignition coil connects to -- it should be close to it. There should also be a three pin rubber bodied connector coming from the generator which should be dedicated to the CDI: a common setup of the time.

I'll keep looking, but for a nearly 40 year old machine information is difficult to come by!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

You said it all... it has everything you said but i don't understand why i don't have spark

post #9 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
but i don't understand why i don't have spark

Maybe you were just born with pizzaz instead...

post #10 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Dev
Tirone

I talked to my hairdresser, she said... 'Could be the cdi unit?' If you get A/C out of the stator/rotor, the battery was used for street, but off road, remove lights so the current does not spike the bulb filaments. Then again, if this is a spark unit and we match wires, we can return to spark, right? If there is a late model ATC 4-wheel spark unit with 4 wires, WATT are the odds the matching 4 wires may return spark. She where she's getting at?

What is compression before you spend a dime on it?

post #11 of 15 Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Make sure the kill switch is not shorting out....check the simple things first.

Professional
post #12 of 15 Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

No killswitch. Im pretty sure its a lemon so im ditching it. Thanks for all the help

post #13 of 15 Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Beast

I haven't worked on a ts 400 since 1976 but as I recall you need a 12volt battery with a full charge for spark, also check the plug lead and the cap as they were prone to corrosion. If it hasn't run in a while check the oil in the injector to be shure its fresh and working.. Pick up a clymers manual for it they cover ts 250/400in a single book if I remember right..

post #14 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Tirone

You can always rewire it with no battery and kick only a 400 isnt bad to kick. check out this thread on the Jockeyjournal.com and you can print the manual for free.
Manuals for Download - The Jockey Journal Board

Print it out, save it on your desktop it comes in handy.

I would make it kick only but thats because I dont see many around. Good luck on your build.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Tirone

hey i just got a 1973 suzuki ts 400 an had the same problem an it needed the on off switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode