07 Honda 919 Brakes and noises - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By g00gl3it
  • 1 Post By nd4spdbh

post #1 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Heeehaw

07 Honda 919 Brakes and noises

Well, this is my first bike ever and I love it. But I am still getting to know it as there are some questions I have. My bike currently has 7200 miles on it and I bought it 2 months ago with 5890 miles. The previous owner did zero maint. on it because she only owned it for about a thousand miles or so of riding in a year so it I am unable to provide any info on what has been kept up (owned by two women before me).

***(The bike is also starting to feel like it is slowly wobbling from one side of the road to the other in the slightest way and at a very even rate. It pulls ever so slightly one way then it transitions to pull to the other side of the road)***

My question is in concern to the rear brakes. I feel like my bike is almost dragging in a way. Like I am not getting the kind of response I should out of the throttle. It feels as though it drags in a way and as I put her up on the rear stand and spun the wheel, I noticed that it looks and feels as if the brake pads are dragging on the rotor. The front wheel as well makes the same kind of noise but more so around the wheel bearing area. I replaced the front pads (everything done to spec from the book) because they were squealing. And now they are still squealing (front and rear) and it sounds like there is friction somewhere (I can also hear it) coming from both wheels just walking it out of the garage with the engine off. Could it be the wheel bearings for the front part? Are the brake pads supposed to be super dooper close to the rotor so much that you can hear them against the rotor without breaking? I am planning on just taking her up to the local bike shop and getting her looked at for good measure. These are just things that bother me.

Thank you so much for reading up to this point. I know it was a lot but I am very meticulous. I probably should of had somebody look at the bike before I bought it just to be sure : ( lessons learned.

Tidewater Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Brake pads drag a tiny bit all the time, this is normal. They never really pull completely away from the rotors.

A good way to test for drag is go for a quick ride. To test the rear brake, use ONLY the front brake and do some spirited runs. After ten minutes or so, stop and feel for heat on the rear rotor - DON'T GRAB IT without testing for excessive heat first - if the pads are stuck or dragging, it will be hot. They you'll know if you have a problem.

If the rotor is cool, as is the caliper and pads, then you probably don't have an issue and the dragging your are feeling while on the rear stand is most likely normal.

Reverse that test to check the front pads. But from what you are describing, you could have shot bearings or worse, warped front rotors.

If you don't have the tools, you can take your front wheel off and take it in to your nearest motorcycle shop. They can test for warped rotors and check your bearings.

A warn front tire can also cause the wobbliness you described - if you run your hand over it and feel excessive bumps and grooves, it was probably ran too long with improper air pressure (too high or too low) and needs replaced.
CB 919 likes this.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

if your pads are squeeling while riding.... you need to bed them in. Multiple 60-5mph stops back to back (10 or so) for the front, and same for the rear... never stopping completely then go on a cruise where you dont have to use breaks for a couple of mile to let em cool down.

This will transfer pad material to the rotors as well as shape the pads to the rotors surface creating better stopping power but also quiet breaks.
CB 919 likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Heeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
if your pads are squeeling while riding.... you need to bed them in. Multiple 60-5mph stops back to back (10 or so) for the front, and same for the rear... never stopping completely then go on a cruise where you dont have to use breaks for a couple of mile to let em cool down.

This will transfer pad material to the rotors as well as shape the pads to the rotors surface creating better stopping power but also quiet breaks.
Well the rear pads have already been worn in, that is for sure as they have about 40 percent of life left. Still, friction persists. I have also already bedded the front pads in.

Tidewater Tech
post #5 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Heeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Brake pads drag a tiny bit all the time, this is normal. They never really pull completely away from the rotors.

A good way to test for drag is go for a quick ride. To test the rear brake, use ONLY the front brake and do some spirited runs. After ten minutes or so, stop and feel for heat on the rear rotor - DON'T GRAB IT without testing for excessive heat first - if the pads are stuck or dragging, it will be hot. They you'll know if you have a problem.

If the rotor is cool, as is the caliper and pads, then you probably don't have an issue and the dragging your are feeling while on the rear stand is most likely normal.

Reverse that test to check the front pads. But from what you are describing, you could have shot bearings or worse, warped front rotors.

If you don't have the tools, you can take your front wheel off and take it in to your nearest motorcycle shop. They can test for warped rotors and check your bearings.

A warn front tire can also cause the wobbliness you described - if you run your hand over it and feel excessive bumps and grooves, it was probably ran too long with improper air pressure (too high or too low) and needs replaced.
Okay, that makes me feel better about the drag. I will try that test out tonight probably, thank you. I really hope my rotors arent warped!

Tidewater Tech
post #6 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Cornicen

One extra thing to add to the great advice given, RE: Possible warped front rotors: When braking with the front, if the rotors are warped, you may/should feel a pulsation in the lever. Try riding somewhere safe (slow street you live on, or empty parking lot) without gloves and the pulsation should be fairly evident. Slight warpage=slight pulsation...etc... Good luck and safe riding!

post #7 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojudo View Post
One extra thing to add to the great advice given, RE: Possible warped front rotors: When braking with the front, if the rotors are warped, you may/should feel a pulsation in the lever. Try riding somewhere safe (slow street you live on, or empty parking lot) without gloves and the pulsation should be fairly evident. Slight warpage=slight pulsation...etc... Good luck and safe riding!
Along with this, you could have straight rotors, but warped pads, or pads put back in backwards, etc.

So if you notice this, try new pads first. If you have to get new rotors, you'll need new pads anyway, but at least this way you minimize potential parts you have to buy earlier.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

Along with this, you could have straight rotors, but warped pads, or pads put back in backwards, etc.

So if you notice this, try new pads first. If you have to get new rotors, you'll need new pads anyway, but at least this way you minimize potential parts you have to buy earlier.
I don't think 9er pads have L and R. Maybe calipers are sticking?

post #9 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I don't think 9er pads have L and R. Maybe calipers are sticking?
ya no... there is no way to put pads in wrong in the 9er without a pad metal back directly on a disk.

Unless you have some FANCY directional pads... which i dont even think are made for the 9er or exist at all.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I just meant what if he put the pads that were in the left caliper in the right one, if that's possible. The wear patterns would be different and most likely drag on the rotor until it beds...

I don't have one to look at anymore. Guess I could check the 599, it's probably similar.

Nah, too tired, been up all night sourcing parts, lol...

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 AM
Tirone

How about checking the fluid? You know level and the shape of it. Oh and did you bleed the system???

2007 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1998 XR400
post #12 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwkwardPenguin View Post
How about checking the fluid? You know level and the shape of it. Oh and did you bleed the system???
Good idea....air in the system can cause brakes to drag when the air heats up and expands.

I would highly doubt that wheel bearings have gone bad in 7200 miles.

post #13 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

+1 to all the advise above. I recently took my calipers and pads off to check them out cause they were squeeking a good bit. Still had alot of pad life left so I cleaned them up and replaced everything. On the rear stand mine makes a slight draging noise when you spin the tire too, I think it's normal.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #14 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Heeehaw

Thank you for all of the advise guys. I never bled and replaced the fluid because I believe its' not due yet in the manual if I'm correct? I do not have it in front of me at the moment to check. I like doing maint early if I can, but that one particular thing I have not done yet.

Maybe I am just being too meticulous with sounds and vibrations.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Tirone

From what I'v heard your supposed to bleed your breaks every year or two. My rotors rub on my pads a little bit too, sounds like it's normal. New to wrist twisters, just got my 9er back back guys!

post #16 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by See--Ya-Bye View Post
From what I'v heard your supposed to bleed your breaks every year or two. My rotors rub on my pads a little bit too, sounds like it's normal. New to wrist twisters, just got my 9er back back guys!
Welcome!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode