07 919 vibration at 4500 rpm - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
di te incolumem custodian

07 919 vibration at 4500 rpm

I've been away for awhile so a friendly greeting to all,

I have about 17900 miles on my 07 919 and it has been just flawless the entire time i have been riding this bike. Had 500 something miles when i bought her.
So i was cruising along on the Harlan County twistys the other day and every thing was A-ok when i stopped at the local lake and had a cup of coffee i had packed with me. Was chillin for 15 min or so then took off riding. Within a mile or so I started to notice a rumbly like vibration, low at first but within a few miles it had ramped up to a consistently noticable vibration most prominent between 4000 and 5000 rpm. After 5 grand it smoothed out and disappeared and under 4 grand pretty much was gone as well. I did stop the bike and with the clutch in revved the engine up and did not notice it at all. Just as smooth as usual.
So just wondering if anyone here had a similar experience. I did read someplace about a similar problem a guy had with his vfr 800 which turned out to be a worn out chain and or sprockets. I have routinely adjusted and lubricated my bikes chain but have not replaced it.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Can't be sceered all your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

Mine is about 4600-4700RPM. I thought I had an issue when I first bought my bike but everyone said it was normal. That was 3 years ago. It is very smooth outside those RPMS.

Check your chain but I wouldn't worry about it.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

its the harmonics of the bike... its natural around that RPM for it to do so.

Its ok, just either lug it and use its torque.... or rev the piss out of it... it will be happy doing either.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Batman

Could be...Exhaust mounting weld, loose exhaust heat shield allen nut, passenger pegs not up/down all the way, rear seat latch mechanism, radiator plastic, head light wire harness...

Pick your poison i guess, youll find a few things. I wear thicker soled riding shoes and the vibes arent nearly ss bad in my feet anymore.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Centurion

My motor mounts came lose once and my engine crash bars did the same. Both created vibrations.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

If you've ridden it 17000 miles I'd assume you already know it gets vibe-y in the 4500 range. Mine has done that all of 14000 miles. Are you talking about a different kind of vibration, perhaps stronger?

--07 Honda 919 --

This bike rocks. It does everything.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
My motor mounts came lose once and my engine crash bars did the same. Both created vibrations.
I had to tighten my Givi guards and add RTV to the spacers (front/rear). They had started to amplify the vibes on my bike.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
Mine is about 4600-4700RPM. I thought I had an issue when I first bought my bike but everyone said it was normal. That was 3 years ago. It is very smooth outside those RPMS.

Check your chain but I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks sharkey, i appreciate the reply. My concern though is that is was not present for 17000 miles and i can say i am sure of that because it is that noticeable. It feels completely different than the engine vibes i have been in tune with. But thanks again and i am probably going to change the sprockets and chain no matter because its probably time anyway with the enthusiastic manner in which i normally ride.... ............. i'll let you know and again any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAniner View Post
If you've ridden it 17000 miles I'd assume you already know it gets vibe-y in the 4500 range. Mine has done that all of 14000 miles. Are you talking about a different kind of vibration, perhaps stronger?
yes, as i told sharky in a reply that this vibration is completely different than the normal harmonics i am used to.
and all these replys are awesome thanks to all of ya and i am going to check the suggested thangs like engine mounts heat shields engine guards and that kind of stuff and let you all know....thank you all again

and your so right....this bike does rock! i have enjoyed this ride more than almost all the bikes i have had....now i have been looking at a vfr1200 the non auto model and it sure looks awesome...any opinions?

post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

17K is pretty low, but you may want to check your rear bearings. Get the wheel off the ground and try to move it side to side and look for play. Also may want to rotate the tire slowly and see if you hear any abnormal noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode