Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

05 Honda Hornet

840 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fkmugabe 
#1 ·
Hey people.

So I own a 05 Honda Hornet and it seems to be in a not so good state.

Looking for advice to fix some of its many issues

Issue 1, the key. The key has fallen apart and is currently in a semi working condition. Wondering if it's cheaper in the long run to replace the ECU? And which ecu would be most recommanded?Not sure how many times the key has been cloned as when I got pulled over once the police said the bike has one of the biggest lists of past owners and traffic offenses listed on the plates they've ever seen.

Issue 2, Speedo and tacho seems to not work correctly any more is there an after market one I could use without much splicing? At the moment it seems to be 40km an hour off. But trip meter works perfectly so dont believe it's cabling but more of the actual cluster issue

Issue 3, bike seems to have a going into neutral affect when riding as the bike will rev out and go back to normal every so often which is kinda a hold on and hope for the best situation. I'm assuming it's a clutch related problem?

Issue 4, sometimes i require the chock to start the bike. It's random situation to as the last time i had to it was 35 degree celcius day so don't assumed it required it.

My last hornet was full of issues but none that match any of these. Sorry for wall of text but any help would be appreciated

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Let's see what we can do to help, or at least confuse the situation :D

#1 sounds like a new key setup might be the best option depending on the damage. You might be able to find a whole key set on eBay and just switch everything over.

#2 There's a pretty popular aftermarket dash for the 919, a number of people around here have converted to a digital dash setup. Personally, I like the stock setup and if someone has upgraded, you might find one cheap.

#3 You'll have to give some more details on this. It sounds like a "false neutral" and I've had that happen a few times. Basically you shift into a gear and it doesn't actually shift fully into the gear so it's a neutral but you're not near neutral, you're in 3rd/4th or higher.

Slipping out of 1 or 2 back into neutral is a different thing.

One thing I'd be concerned about the false neutral is letting it go too long because I think it's the gears not meshing. I'd do a fresh oil change and do a firm shift. I think most agree that the Honda transmission needs a firm shift. The oil is something I noticed, it's harder to shift when the oil is older.

#4 the choke on the 919 does nothing more than open the throttle a bit. I understand that it doesn't make the air fuel any richer, so it's not really doing anything but kicking up the revs, which can help warm things up quicker. I was under the impression that the EFI took care of the temp concerns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.