04 Honda 919- Sudden loss/surge of power, strong fuel smell - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pvster

post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

04 Honda 919- Sudden loss/surge of power, strong fuel smell

First symptoms were at a stop light. Gas light had just become stable on, but rode for another mile or 2. Hit a stop light, bike bogs down and dies.

I start it up. Full power, bogs down again. It sounds like a 4 stroke 4 wheeler instead of a whiny sport bike and I have very little power like 25%-30%. The smell of gasoline becomes very strong. But suddenly the power comes back instantly and then goes into bog mode again, back and forth a few times. It's jolting and seemingly instant. I filled up the tank a 1/2 mile later. Didn't seem to help much.

I took it out the other day around the block. Same thing except it died at a stop light and could only start it again by pulling the "choke"(it's fuel injected) out.

Today I had to take it out but my destination was next to a bike shop but unfortunately couldn't take it in. I rode about 20 miles and took it on a highway. The power came back one time during an off ramp that I leaned a little aggressive into and when I started the bike after leaving it had full power for about 4 seconds. Also, when I arrived back home it had power for 1-2 seconds when I stopped after making a sharp u-turn. Also, still smelled very strong of gasoline the entire time. I was unable to find any leaks in the parking space where it always sits or pinpoint the source of the smell.

While the bike has very low power, it's able to run smoothly through the entire rev range.

Bike has 10,500 miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Rust in the tank, fuel filter/pump/pressure regulator

post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

It's got gas, right? Mine would stall out coming to stops when I had very little gas left. You'd hope it was something that simple. Might also be bad gas

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Tirone

Sounds Like bad fuel drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, and put if fresh fuel. E85 will f--- your world.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Tirone

I just saw This post Worth checking out.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ml#post1231649
Let me know

post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
It's got gas, right? Mine would stall out coming to stops when I had very little gas left. You'd hope it was something that simple. Might also be bad gas
Does sit for a week sometimes. But always use Shell premium.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe919 View Post
Sounds Like bad fuel drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, and put if fresh fuel. E85 will f--- your world.
Yeah, always use Shell V-power premium or whatever it's called. someone recommended opening the gas tank and letting it run, but it didn't make a difference.

Looks like I have a pretty simple check list of what to do. Fuel filter, regulator, pump, and/or spark plugs. Bike would be happy with that considering it has been parked on the street exposed for a year.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Maybe check the intake too? Can't hurt

post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Alright, so I put in a little Techron Concentrate, bike started sounding less throaty and had a little more power. Rode for a little bit, poured a little more Techron in, power started coming back, bogged down, came back, and started running beautifully for the rest of the ride. Took it on the highway and the thing was a rocket, lifting the front wheel with ease. The most power I've had since I bought the thing a couple years ago. Hopefully it stays like that.

Anything else I should keep an eye out on related to this issue?

post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 PM
The Cripple

Stop using premium for starters. 87 works best on these bikes.

Run some seafoam through the tank.
rpcraft likes this.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-11-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

The Techron more than did it's job and I have half a bottle left, so I'll stick with that for now.

I've gone back and forth a few times. But ultimately stuck with the Shell Premium. Premium definitely stinks more but I'll give a regular fill up a go next. Sometimes it can take me a month or so to go through a gas tank and it sits in the sun/outside, so that's kind of my reasoning for premium as well. I'm at high altitude as well. Actually had a bike dealer tell me to run regular at altitude as well. But most people I know use premium in their bikes.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Tesserarius

if your bike is sitting for a month and techron fixed it, chances are you are getting clogged injectors from the ethanol gumming shit up, or bad gas.
Although i've had mine sit for the winter and fired right up in the spring with no additives.

(get's out the popcorn)

so keep using some seafoam or techron regularly to clear up that ethanol crap.

I guess it might be late now, but maybe if your injectors are clogged up the bike would be running lean and you could tell by checking the plugs. your issue is probably exacerbated by the altitude.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM
The Cripple

The sea foam will help with the gas sitting than the techron stuff will. Additionally, regular gas will perform better for you, more so at altitude. No reason to run prem in the 919 unless you are in a really hot climate and it's pinging. I run 87 here in Phoenix and the bike doesn't ping.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Amen for regular unleaded, but seafoam is far better at cleaning carbon of the combustion parts than doing anything for the fuel system.

I'm thinking it may be more related to the FPR personally.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #15 of 15 Old 08-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Tirone

Garage
Cafe919 linked above (https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ugh-71249.html), but I had a somewhat similar issue. The bad FPR would cause rough idle which initially cleared up at high RPMs, but then fouled the plugs enough that it was rough all the time. FPR replacement seems to have fixed it.

Also, as Pvster pointed out, higher altitude means thinner air which means lower octane. You'll see a lot of 86/85 regular here at 5500'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in