02 forks made adjustable. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

02 forks made adjustable.

I currently have 02 forks on my bike. I have brought a second hand pair of adjustable 07 forks. I would like to swap out the internals to make my 02 forks adjustable. My 02 fork tubes and lowers are in better nick than the 07s. I like the feel of the OEM 02 springs. I'm not an aggressive rider, I weight 85kgs, roads are bad where I live. My question, is there a difference in weight between the 02 springs and post 04. Also can the 02 springs be used with the 04 internals. I've read a few threads on this and the springs are a different length but I couldn't find any clear answers. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I currently have 02 forks on my bike. I have brought a second hand pair of adjustable 07 forks. I would like to swap out the internals to make my 02 forks adjustable. My 02 fork tubes and lowers are in better nick than the 07s. I like the feel of the OEM 02 springs. I'm not an aggressive rider, I weight 85kgs, roads are bad where I live. My question, is there a difference in weight between the 02 springs and post 04. Also can the 02 springs be used with the 04 internals. I've read a few threads on this and the springs are a different length but I couldn't find any clear answers. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure such a swap can easily be done, but haven't done one nor recollect any previous thread of another having done it.
I suggest that the part numbers be checked for commonality for the tubes and one of the lowers.
If they are common, as I think they are, then it's a given that the 07 guts will simply retrofit into the 02 outers.

For sure, the 02 spring can be used with the 07 guts.

My recollection is that the front spring change from 03 to 04 was in the tinkering zone of change, and nothing dramatic.
By the way, the springs are dual rate, and not progressive.
There is a transition zone between the two rates that can fool the eye.
I can't remember if the 02 and 07 spring length vary much, but if they do, I doubt it's by much.

If you want your 02 spring to be behave exactly like it does now, simply shorten the spacer by the difference between the 02 and 07 fork caps at the spring resting surface of the cap relative to the face that flanges up on the end of the fork tube.
For you, re the "sameness" I sense you want, I'd do that spacer length change determination on the basis of having the fork cap ride height adjuster set
at mid point instead of all the rings showing.

There was a thread some years back about OEM front springs.
I remember posting some info to it after Rickard let me open up a set of spare forks he had.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Mcromo44 thanks for the reply. You are an asset to this site. I'd buy you a beer if there wasn't an ocean between. First of all I will look for your old OEM fork spring thread. I understood most of what you said all though I will need to read it another 50 times, stare at all the parts spread over a bench for 3 hrs and measure everthing 20 times.
See attached photo, spring and spacer lengths vary between years. If the 2002 spring is similar in weight to the 2004 and up spring then I'll drop the lot in. For some reason I thought that the later model fork springs where lighter. If it turns out they feel different I'll swap them out for the 02 springs. I'm s**ting bricks about cutting up spacers. Worried I'll make a mistake with the length. Do you cut them with a hacksaw and a steady hand? Can you substitute the OEM spacers with PVC pipe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve_top_1488327460639.jpg (158.6 KB, 13 views)

post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Mcromo44 thanks for the reply. You are an asset to this site. I'd buy you a beer if there wasn't an ocean between. First of all I will look for your old OEM fork spring thread. I understood most of what you said all though I will need to read it another 50 times, stare at all the parts spread over a bench for 3 hrs and measure everthing 20 times.
See attached photo, spring and spacer lengths vary between years. If the 2002 spring is similar in weight to the 2004 and up spring then I'll drop the lot in. For some reason I thought that the later model fork springs where lighter. If it turns out they feel different I'll swap them out for the 02 springs. I'm s**ting bricks about cutting up spacers. Worried I'll make a mistake with the length. Do you cut them with a hacksaw and a steady hand? Can you substitute the OEM spacers with PVC pipe?
Thanks for the kind works.
Much appreciated and I can always imagine hoisting a jar with you!
I am away from home at present, but just found what I was remembering.
I've just resurrected the thread called 919 Kyle Racing Suspension.
See post # 216 within and go from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode