Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Venhill brake lines.

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Panchdara 
#1 ·
Going to get brake lines for the bike. There seem to be several leading brands, all good, all work. It's a difficult decision on brand, as they are all priced similar too. I have two questions.
Has anyone had experience with Venhill brake lines? specifically on the 919.
Also what are the advantages of a two line race setup over the standard three line setup?
Thanks fella's.

#2 · (Edited)
I have no experience with Venhill brake lines. I recommend you get G & J stainless steel lines. Many people on these forums have them (including me) and love them. I believe G & J make aircraft products so their stuff is top notch. Here are the prices and you can reach them at (909) 986 6534 and let them know you are from wristtwisters. They have no website so just call them to place order. Here is the link for that thread.
http://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/f94/stainless-steel-brakelines-10307.html

$54.00 for (2) Front lines/with color covering + longer banjo bolt + banjo washers
$22.00 for (1) Rear line/with color covering + banjo washers
$70.00 for the kit which includes the Front lines, Rear line, banjo bolt, and banjo washers.

#3 ·
Thanks IHellsent. I emailed G&J several times. Emails keeped bouncing back. I live in Australia. Which means international calls at weird hours. Venhill, HEL, Goodridge and others all deal over the net and have cheap shipping rates.
I'm in no hurry and will keep trying to get hold of G&J as l would like to discuss shipping. I liked the look of the Venhill lines also they have a type of fitting that allows for any line twisting to be removed. Allen key head dome banjo bolts as well.

#5 · (Edited)
For racing a three line setup is used almost exclusively, not two. The two line requires a third line to jump from one caliper to the other, can be a real bear to bleed, and the weight of the third line is completely unsprung which can have a very slight effect on front end compliance. That, and the actuation of the caliper fed by the "jump line" is delayed very slightly. Not a big deal, but there it is.

How does the price compare between the two line front as opposed to the single with jump line?

Personally, I greatly prefer AN fittings to banjos for a variety of reasons despite the added cost of the AN to metric adapters and a more complicated manifold at the master cylinder, which I routinely make myself. Additionally, bleeding is the ultimate breeze due to a straight path from the master cylinder to the caliper(s) with no convolutions inherent in banjos. Usually I make the lines myself from bench stock obtained from Lockheed Martin R&M, which substantially reduces cost.

Rob

#6 ·
G'day Rob. From Venhill US the cost of the two line setups, two lines from master or one from master and one over the guard, is the same.
I have opted to order my hoses from Venhill UK. I will replicate the stock setup, 3 hoses, that is on the 919. Venhill don't have the stock 3 hose kit but they have a very easy build your own system, Power-hose Plus. Hoses come in 25mm length increments and are factory fitted with 1/8 BSP stainless swivel nuts. 3 stainless banjos and a 1/8 BSP 'T' piece. Hose lengths was easy to figure out. Banjo angles are a little tricky. The caliper banjos are straight 45 degrees and the master cylinder is maybe 20 degree with a 20 degree bend to left?
I will also get a banjo nut for the front brake master with a bleed nipple. The banjo nuts are domed hex heads.
The price for this is only a little more than the cost of a 2 line race kit.
I like the look of the Venhill lines and the swivel nut system makes fitting easy and no twists.

#9 ·
40yrs...thanks for the motivation. I'm too easily distracted so I took this as a sign. This morning I hunted around my shed til I found some clear hose.
I'll do my rear brake line today. The rear brake is the one that shits me the most. It feels soft, it's well bleed and has new fluid. My bike is an 02 model and still has the original stock brake lines. Since I pretty much drag my rear brake all the time I thought I'd do it first. More "bite" would be good there.
The front will have to wait since I'm short a few crush washers. I've ordered some so maybe the front will take some time till I get to it. Hopefully not 40yrs.
Venhill "bits" are all steel. They come in three types. Bright chrome, black chrome and stainless. I was going for the stainless but got distracted by black chrome. The fellas at Venhill told me the black chrome finish is hard and should last the life of the hose. Besides the banjos can be replaced. So black chrome it is.

#10 ·
Got the rear brake line installed. Looks good, works well. The brake feels much firmer and quicker to "bite". Was a massive pain to bleed. I did it pumping pedal and releasing bleeder. I must have put that bottle through around three times before the air was gone. I'm not looking forward to doing the front.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
My front was way harder than the back, I ended up putting a zip tie on to hold the brake lever to the handle bar and left it over night, some one said the air would make it's way up, still skeptical about that, and then I pushed the pistons all the way in, then it was pretty quick. There must be too much air in the caliper housing, but it was easy to push the pistins in by hand.

Before that it just wouldn't take, I must have pumped the lever a couple of thousand times, felt like that anyway.

#14 ·
Finally got around to putting front brakelines on today. It took forever. Mostly cause I painted that lower yoke on the steering stem. What is with the rust on that thing. Some kinda sacrificial anode!
I'm pleased with the form and function of the new lines.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.