Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Turn Signal Minutia

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Aquila-RC51 
#1 ·
So, today I was doing the pre season servicing on the 2000 RC and decided to install the OEM turn signals that Moto so generously sent me.
Well...add to the list of small changes between 2000 and 2002 the turn signals. The 2000 uses a three wire connector and the 2002 uses a two wire. The 2000 of course has the running light setup and a two filiment bulb, whereas the 2002 has a single filiment bulb.
After much screwing around I discovered that you can take the signals apart...there is a screw deep in the mount that seperates the flexible mount from the signal casing.
So I get all the innards swapped over, everything pluged in, everything works....go for a ride. While riding I look down to admire my fresh OEM left side turn signal and notice the hard shell part is upside down....it's a 2002 right side signal! Evidently Honda also swapped the wire colors...the left side wires on a 2000 are the same as the right side 20002 wires...and vice versa. It appears Honda really...REALLY didn't want people swapping signals for some reason. Anyway...it works...it's staying there.

By the way....anyone have a stock 2000 left side mirror they want to part with?
JohnnyB

#3 ·
Color codes for Honda wires

I'm not convinced that Honda swapped the wire colors. You can trace back the color codes to at least the early 70's and nothing has changed.
The same colors can be found on the new Honda bikes.

Left signal = orange
Left running light = orange/white stripe (if blinker is a 3 wire assembly)
Right signal = light blue
Right running light = light blue/white stripe (if blinker is a 3 wire assembly)
Ground = green

#5 ·
I may be able to correct that. I just picked up a complete set at 600rr.net for practically nothing and only need the left side ones. As a lot ancilliary pieces like that are interchangeable between models, the body of my right rear might just work as your left front.

Though that would mean we'd finally have to meet and I'm not sure if that worries you or not... :001_unsure:

#6 ·
JhonnyB, as far as the Honda Microfiche is concerned, the Front Turn signals have the same part number from 00 to 06. Now, the rear turn signals, on the other hand, do carry different part numbers for 00-01 to 02-06.

Knowing Moto, he probably gave you the rear ones just to bust your nuts :D

#7 ·
Yeah, wait a minute. I have a 2002 and I am pretty sure I have 3 wires for front signals. If you look at the picture below(only side shot picture I have), I have it set up that a LED is lit up for running light and then a separate bulb flashes for turning.

#9 ·
I think you guys are right...I bet that Mofo Moto sent me rear signals.....that would explain the fact that I thought the wires were swapped.

They were difinitely two wire..... I probably used Moto's right rear housing for my left front..... yeah...that sounds wrong doesn't it.

Mike your wire colors are exactly what my bike has.... so yes you are right...no change in wire codes.

And I thought Moto liked me.....why would he do this horrible thing to me?

JohnnyB

#10 ·
I'd say it was a test and if you'd passed you'd have had your choice of learning either the secret of the blue filter or the origins of the Soft Rev Limit. If you know those, then just imagine the powers you'd have been granted. Now sadly it will never be.

#11 ·
JohnnyB said:
And I thought Moto liked me.....why would he do this horrible thing to me?
something about using the wrong lube is what I heard... there are strong rumors of seapage (sp?) :gunsmilie: :gunsmilie:

#15 ·
Airmail?....it must have been a freakin derigible.
I like that word....derigible....I'll use it in a setence. "I entered Moto's butt like the Goodyear derigible"

And now...you are dissing Sporty...the kindest, most polite and compassionate person I have ever seen. Shave on you...I mean shame on you.
JohnnyB

#18 ·
How derr you plunder his booty with your man dirigable.
You two disgust me! Now get a room!
No more silly code talk about "Turn Signals" and such.
What about the children?
Did anyone think about the tots?

#20 ·
JohnnyB said:
And now...you are dissing Sporty...the kindest, most polite and compassionate person I have ever seen. Shave on you...I mean shame on you.
JohnnyB
SEE! I'm not a MANEATER!
I am the kindest, most polite and compassionate person on this site!

So all you asshats can kiss "my little piece of ass"!
Frickin' bastards the whole damn lot of you.......... except JB of course.

#23 ·
SportyChick said:
SEE! I'm not a MANEATER!
NO?!?! You mean those tales of Derigable, DerigibleGoblet swallowing were all vicious rumours?!?!:blushing:

SportyChick said:
I am the kindest, most polite and compassionate person on this site!
Okay... we all know this is DEFINATELY a derigable worthy rumour. Such mis-information, just disdainful!:clown:

SportyChick said:
So all you asshats can kiss "my little piece of ass"!
Anyone of Land Lubbers so much as try to get in front of me in line and I will Saki whooping your butts!!!! Umm... Sporty, any chance we can add the jumblies to the offer ? Please, pretty please!:001_huh: :001_huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.