Tank bag or tail bag? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Tank bag or tail bag?

So I've got a longer bike trip coming up in August. I'm hooking up with a group of riders in Minneapolis and we are riding down to Santa Fe, back up through Colorado to Sturgis () and back to Minneapolis.

I think I'm all set on larger luggage on my VFR1200. I've got a 46L top case and some smaller 26L (or so) saddle bags.

Since these bags will be full with clothes, extra gear, etc, it would be nice to have something small(ish) that I can use to store stuff like extra ear plugs, kickstand pads, camera, etc. My thought is that whichever I get, would most likely be used on a daily bases after my trip to hold small stuff if need be... This way I don't need to throw on the saddle bags if I'm planning on bringing water or something with me on a ride.

If I get a tank bag, I'm going to get one of the GIVI tank lock bags so nothing touches the paint (like this: GIVI T489). I like the idea of having some storage in front of me, but having to remove the tank bag every time I fill up (every 100 miles or so since my SO rides a Maga with 120 mile range) sounds like a PITA.

I came across an AXIO tail bag that is pretty small, but could semi-permanently attach to the passenger seat. It would be out of the way, never need to be removed (since nobody likes riding on the back of my VFR anyways) and doesn't get in the way of my top case.
AXIO Tail Bag

So what are your thoughts? Is there a reason people migrate towards tank bags over tail bags?

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

It's not that much of a hassle if it has an easy on/off, which they pretty much all do with some better systems than others. Tank bag for sure.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 3 Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

+1 on the tankbag

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode