Tail Light help? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Tail Light help?

Hey guys. Bought an 07 919 with 10k miles last Saturday, have put on 700 miles over the last two days. Love the bike, amazed at the power. 0-100 comes very, very quickly.

Anyway, the guy I bought it from left a couple things for me to complete. He did an at-home fender eliminator (might have to fix because the license plate is becoming black on one side...) and didn't attach rear signals or an integrated tail. Which brings me to my question.

Would it be easier (cheaper ) to buy some after market rear turn signals and mount them somewhere. Or buy the Clear Alternatives integrated tail? Or what I was hoping to is take the LED board from the C.A. tail and pop it onto the stock tail housing. I don't like the look of the clear C.A. tail, would rather keep the stock red housing.

Haven't had a chance to look at the 9's insides yet, too much fun riding! But tomorrow night I think I'm going to take a peek and see what can be done. Any comments, questions, or snide remarks?

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Congrats on the new 9er! First I would check MN's laws regarding turn signals, you may need them to pass inspection. As for an integrated unit, look here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ght-26695.html

post #3 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
just send it.

Garage
No need for inspections in MN. You can do the CLED tail light as rmb states above. The best solution IMHO.

If you are looking for cheap/easy, pick up a stock fender with some new blinkers. Plug 'n Play.

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Warped man...

I think I'm going with the Custom LED tail. Looks very easy to install, looks clean as well. Worth the $125?

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
I think I'm going with the Custom LED tail. Looks very easy to install, looks clean as well. Worth the $125?
I just installed mine and the quality is far better than the clear alternatives. Do it. You be happy with it.

post #6 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
The Cripple

yes it is worth it! and it's bright enough to allow you to continue to use the red lens you like so much. the c.a. option is not bright enough.

post #7 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
YES! Check my two vids on the taillight assembly on my youtube channel: g00gl3it's Channel - YouTube.

Well worth the money. And yes, you can use it with the stock red lens. I had it that way before I got my smoke lens and had zero issues being able to see the amber LED's of the turn signals.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Princeps Prior

It's well worth the money. Awesome mod. Easy to buy now that Custom led put up a product page for it

post #9 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Placed an order this morning, with priority shipping. Sent a confirmation email that they shipped it too. Hopefully it gets here before the weekend.

Just printed off the service manual too. 200 some odd pages front and back, thanks for the printer ink and paper college! Installation seems pretty straightforward from what Custom's website said, and looking at the wiring on the bike.

Thought that I would add that I've put 800 miles on since Saturday when I bought the bike. I think my girlfriend knew how much I loved it because she broke up with me today complaining that I don't talk to her enough. Oh well haha

post #10 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Got the Custom LED board in the mail today, but have run into problems. Hoping maybe someone has an idea or answer.

I attached every wire correctly (I triple checked) but all I am getting is a running light that stays on. When I start the bike, the board does its yellow / red flash sequence then goes to the running lights, or what I think are the running lights. Blinkers don't work, neither the front or back. Apply both brakes, nothing. It just stays on the running light.

Am I missing something here? I suppose it's impossible for you guys to know without looking at it. The previous owner left a s**t storm of wires in there, some not connected to anything, others randomly connected it looks like. He did a fender eliminator himself and the rear blinker wires are hiding somewhere.

Any ideas at all?

post #11 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Discen

Quote:
Got the Custom LED board in the mail today, but have run into problems. Hoping maybe someone has an idea or answer.

I attached every wire correctly (I triple checked) but all I am getting is a running light that stays on. When I start the bike, the board does its yellow / red flash sequence then goes to the running lights, or what I think are the running lights. Blinkers don't work, neither the front or back. Apply both brakes, nothing. It just stays on the running light.

Am I missing something here? I suppose it's impossible for you guys to know without looking at it. The previous owner left a s**t storm of wires in there, some not connected to anything, others randomly connected it looks like. He did a fender eliminator himself and the rear blinker wires are hiding somewhere.

Any ideas at all?
I ran into the same problem when I installed mine, though my wires werent messed up at all. Dont just check that the wires are connected to the right wires, check each connection individually. My problem was that one of the wire connections that came with the kit was not pressed down all the way.
I think I have a similar setup to yours I took the rear fender completely off, put the CLED board in, and used a Radiantz license plate frame. See my avatar picture

post #12 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aciarrocc View Post
I ran into the same problem when I installed mine, though my wires werent messed up at all. Dont just check that the wires are connected to the right wires, check each connection individually. My problem was that one of the wire connections that came with the kit was not pressed down all the way.
I think I have a similar setup to yours I took the rear fender completely off, put the CLED board in, and used a Radiantz license plate frame. See my avatar picture
Looks exactly like my bike's ass. I will check the individual connections and try and get some pictures tomorrow of the mess. I wonder if it could be the relay or something? Why wouldn't the front blinkers work? I'm no good with electrical stuff...

post #13 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

If anyone could show me their wiring with the Custom LED tail, I would really appreciate it. Pics of the main line to where it splits by the turn signal relay.

post #14 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Can you tell by my installation video? Probably not, I can't remember what I covered.

Www.youtube.com/g00gl3it

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Can you tell by my installation video? Probably not, I can't remember what I covered.

Www.youtube.com/g00gl3it

Actually when I google'd something like "919 wiring ...." your video came up and I watched it. There is good info in there, especially if you have clean wiring. I think yours were just straight hook ups, plug and play. I would love close up pictures of what goes where, to make sure my wiring is correct, and then learn that the problem is somewhere else.

I will try and post pics tomorrow of the disaster.

post #16 of 26 Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I won't have time for a few days, maybe on monday I could possibly take it apart and take some pictures.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #17 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM
just send it.

Garage
Do you have front LED blinkers? I wonder if you have the 'No Blink' problelm because the flasher relay thinks both your front and rear blinkers are broken.

[This space for rent]
post #18 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Do you have front LED blinkers? I wonder if you have the 'No Blink' problelm because the flasher relay thinks both your front and rear blinkers are broken.
Usually in that case, at least the front will still blink, just really fast.

Do you know if you have the stock flasher relay, an LED relay? or some homemade hoppledinger in there?

Looks like you have a ton of 'custom' wiring. Messy.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
just send it.

Garage
Your sure about that g00gle3it? I thought you can get yourself into a no-blink situation if both the front and back blinkers are LED. The relay will see an open circuit and you will either no blinking or all lights blinking depending on the flasher relay.

[This space for rent]
post #20 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Your sure about that g00gle3it? I thought you can get yourself into a no-blink situation if both the front and back blinkers are LED. The relay will see an open circuit and you will either no blinking or all lights blinking depending on the flasher relay.
I actually can't quite remember. On my bike, stock relay with Rizoma LED's front and rear, if I disconnected one, the other would blink really fast (assuming you have the resistors soldered inline, this SHOULD be the case.)

What causes the relay to think that a bulb is burned out is the resistance, so when it's missing that, it starts to blink fast. The resistors on LED's are there to make sure a stock relay can still do it's job (blink at the same rate, etc.).

When I went to the custom LED relay, it would also do the same thing if one LED was removed from the circuit.

So from memory, it SHOULD blink fast with only one removed from the circuit. It's basically just like a burned out bulb.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #21 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Yeah I believe it is the stock signal relay. The previous owner said it might need that replaced, but he had no idea for sure. Got some pics though.

Here is the section just before the tail. I think the stock relay is the last gizmo on the top right of the picture.

Going towards the tank...

even further towards the tank

back of the Custom board...

How I wired the blinkers. From that main bundle in the first pic, I took the orange and blue and direct wired it to the board. Crappy hand twist I know, but I was getting frustrated.

No idea what the hell this is for?

If the pictures don't make any sense, then we're in the same boat haha.

post #22 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
just send it.

Garage
HOLY HELL... someone really did a number with the wiring on your bike.

If you disconnect the blinker wires from your CLED tail light, do you blinkers work then?

[This space for rent]
post #23 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Holy crap! I think the box in the last pic may be a converter tor a trailer turn signals. If I were you, I would remove anything aftermarket and get down to the OEM wiring and start from there.

post #24 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Quote:
HOLY HELL... someone really did a number with the wiring on your bike.

If you disconnect the blinker wires from your CLED tail light, do you blinkers work then?
Nope

post #25 of 26 Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Warped man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Holy crap! I think the box in the last pic may be a converter tor a trailer turn signals. If I were you, I would remove anything aftermarket and get down to the OEM wiring and start from there.
That's what I thought at first but didn't want to believe it haha. Yeah my plan is tear it down to just those main wires in the first picture. Problem is there are some wires that go back and forth into the main line and I don't want to risk messing anything up more than it already is. There a chance I could mess up something more serious besides the blinkers / brake light? No good with electrical stuff...

Thinking about just taking it to the Honda dealer 30 miles away and letting them have at it, or maybe one of the local places. Any ideas how much labor would be involved? I think $85 an hour was the cheapest I could find... And I'm just a poor college kid now that I spent my money on my dream bike haha.

Frustration continues... but at least it can't stop me from riding.

post #26 of 26 Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Just take your time, download the service manual so you have the wiring diagram, find all added wiring and remove it, then wire the tail light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode