SW Motech stand problems - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Doing things the hard way

SW Motech stand problems

I installed a SW Motech centerstand on my 2005 919, and am having problems with it.

The instructions are basically "Install this, schweinhund!". They don't even show the spring. But that's not the problem.

The spring was a @#$% to install. And their $30 spring install tool is insulting. It's basically a steel rod. It kept slipping, so I used a small socket on an extension instead. But that's not the problem.

When up, the stand rests on the sharp edge of the provided stainless steel stop, scratching the hell out of it the first time. That seems odd, but maybe not a problem.

When down, the stand is absolutely vertical, lifting the rear up an inch, and does not look very stable. It does not take much effort to move it off the stand. The stops on the stand are right against the bike's brackets... there is no extra room to move the stand. This is the problem.

So... is this normal? Did I get a Friday night 4:55 PM piece? As is, the stand is unusable. I would not trust it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
rjw
Tirone

I installed the same stand on my '07, the stop i was provided was aluminum and it can be rotated slightly with the fasteners loosened to match the angle of the stop pad on the stand. i find the stand to be as stable as any others in my experience, they're not necessarily to be used for parking out on the road. an automotive drum brake spring tool makes the install easier, i did one spring at a time
hope this helps, Jack

post #3 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
McTavish

The Ultimate Spring Tool re Centre & Lean Stand Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
an automotive drum brake spring tool makes the install easier, i did one spring at a time
hope this helps, Jack
The ultimate spring tool ................................
Pennies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, just stuff jam pennies in between a good number of the coils and voila, life is easy !

post #4 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

There must be something up with your stand, I have to PUSH my 919 forward to get it off, I completely trust mine. It sounds like it may be hitting something before it gets to where it needs to be to be stable.

post #5 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
The ultimate spring tool ................................
Pennies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, just stuff jam pennies in between a good number of the coils and voila, life is easy !
Wow, I thought I was the only one that did the penny trick. Dimes work for the really tight springs, but take a few more. And cost about 10x as much... lol

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #6 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I finally managed with the spring.

The stand just does not seem stable. It does not slant forward at all, and foot piece is not near the ground (looks like it should be in pictures, and from centerstands on some other bikes I have seen). A decent nudge could knock this thing off.

post #7 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak919 View Post
I finally managed with the spring.

The stand just does not seem stable. It does not slant forward at all, and foot piece is not near the ground (looks like it should be in pictures, and from centerstands on some other bikes I have seen). A decent nudge could knock this thing off.
Something's not right. If you can get some pictures of the stand pivot area with the stand down (try not to let it fall on you!) someone may see a problem.

Never having used the Motech stand I can't say if your complaints are normal or not, but the OEM stand has a rubber pad on the stopper preventing a major CLANK! when the stand folds up, angles forward about 5 degrees when down and is very stable, takes a decent amount of force to come off the stand, is obviously designed for day to day use (and that's what I do), and is a major pain to install. Fortunately it only needed to be installed once, and is endlessly useful for the rest of the life of the bike.

BTW, to ease installation of the spring(s), bend it across a decent sized pipe and slip a penny between every other coil, then do your best to do this again 180 degrees away from the first bunch. See picture. Insert only enough to lengthen the spring for installation, usually with the stand fully up. As soon as the hooks are in place rotate the stand down and the spring will stretch enough for the pennies to fall out. This also works for removal, just lower the stand almost enough to insert the pennies and work them in. If there is a second spring it is usually a much smaller one, so takes much less force to stretch enough to install.

Rob

Edit: Darn it -- mcromo beat me to it. At least I included an illustration!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring installation.jpg (33.4 KB, 5 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #8 of 25 Old 02-19-2011, 02:03 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Something's not right. If you can get some pictures of the stand pivot area with the stand down (try not to let it fall on you!) someone may see a problem.

Never having used the Motech stand I can't say if your complaints are normal or not, but the OEM stand has a rubber pad on the stopper preventing a major CLANK! when the stand folds up, angles forward about 5 degrees when down and is very stable, takes a decent amount of force to come off the stand, is obviously designed for day to day use (and that's what I do), and is a major pain to install. Fortunately it only needed to be installed once, and is endlessly useful for the rest of the life of the bike.

BTW, to ease installation of the spring(s), bend it across a decent sized pipe and slip a penny between every other coil, then do your best to do this again 180 degrees away from the first bunch. See picture. Insert only enough to lengthen the spring for installation, usually with the stand fully up. As soon as the hooks are in place rotate the stand down and the spring will stretch enough for the pennies to fall out. This also works for removal, just lower the stand almost enough to insert the pennies and work them in. If there is a second spring it is usually a much smaller one, so takes much less force to stretch enough to install.

Rob

Edit: Darn it -- mcromo beat me to it. At least I included an illustration!
Unbelievable.
I actually beat you to the punch on something.
You must have been on Miller Time !

By the way, on the penny trick.
If spring is on the bike, I find I easily get away with putting them all in from the same side.
I use a screw driver to help get any needed gap re penny entry.

post #9 of 25 Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My Motech is totally without complaint. Never even wanted to fold up, or fall. I couldn't stretch the springs with Auther in my fingers, so hollowed at my Swat Team neighbor, " I bet you can't hook that double spring!" Heck, one yank and he asked," Like this?"
If nothing is warped or bent, you can take a dremal tool to the flats that match up while on the stand. Shave off a mm and check again.
Common practice on BMW side and center stands.

[
post #10 of 25 Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

I'll post some pics tonight.

I emailed Twisted Throttle too, to see if they had any ideas. They asked if my bike had been lowered. The back tire did seem to be too high off the ground, but the bike is stock as far as I know (3rd owner, low mile bike).

post #11 of 25 Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Got a few pics of the stand. sorry for the poor quality... camera phone in a crowded garage.

A note before starting... I had a hell of a time getting it up on the stand, so I asked an experienced friend to do it, and even he had to wrestle it.

You can see how the stand is dead straight up and down. no forward lean at all. There is no way to move more forward at all, since the stop on the stand is against the bike already. The feet of the stand don't even sit flat (a little more than an 1/8th inch off). The 'peg' is more than an inch from the ground... but I don't really know how far off that is supposed to be.

This leaves the rear tire easily 1.5" off the ground.

So... does this seem odd, or am I totally misunderstanding how this is supposed to sit? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (35.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (41.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (35.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo-6.jpg (34.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo-7.jpg (35.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg photo-9.jpg (38.8 KB, 8 views)

post #12 of 25 Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Something's wrong with your stand, I'd bet the stop is out of place. It does take some doin' to get it onto the stand though.

post #13 of 25 Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Something's wrong with your stand, I'd bet the stop is out of place. It does take some doin' to get it onto the stand though.
Centre stands are easy to use as long as you use some reverse motion of the bike to assist, as compared to simply muscling it up.
It takes a bit of practice, but once you have the knack, it's cinch.

post #14 of 25 Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
lusting over something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Centre stands are easy to use as long as you use some reverse motion of the bike to assist, as compared to simply muscling it up.
It takes a bit of practice, but once you have the knack, it's cinch.
My dad until the day he died could not use a center stand. It was always funny to watch. Eventually he'd curse me out for doing it in a quick, easy motion...

post #15 of 25 Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I know a guy that can put his '79 GS850 on his center stand while sitting on the bike. No shit I have seen it.

Spoiler:

post #16 of 25 Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

So I know now it is normal that the centerstand is a bit tough... at least until I get some practice.

But for the rest: Is it normal that the wheel is so far off the ground, and that the stand's feet don't sit flat?

post #17 of 25 Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Tesserarius

Most bikes I have seen on the centerstand are about that far off the ground. But the feet are flat, and it takes some effort to get it off the stand.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I know a guy that can put his '79 GS850 on his center stand while sitting on the bike. No shit I have seen it.
That is actually how I was shown to get my bike on the center stand... After about a week of trying it that way, I came up with my own (better) way to get the bike on the center stand... One where I wasn't sitting on the bike.

[This space for rent]
post #19 of 25 Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
So I know now it is normal that the centerstand is a bit tough... at least until I get some practice.

But for the rest: Is it normal that the wheel is so far off the ground, and that the stand's feet don't sit flat?
I still think there is something wrong with your stand, my feet are flat and the foot lever is less than 1/4" off the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cstand1.jpg (50.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cstand2.jpg (53.5 KB, 3 views)

post #20 of 25 Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Ah, see, that's how I think it should sit. mine is not like that.

Twisted Throttle asked me if my forks had been moved... nope, no dice either. looks stock. Too bad... that would have explained it. lifting the nose would settle it on the stand and lower that tire.

post #21 of 25 Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ah, see, that's how I think it should sit. mine is not like that.

Twisted Throttle asked me if my forks had been moved... nope, no dice either. looks stock. Too bad... that would have explained it. lifting the nose would settle it on the stand and lower that tire.
Their customer service is great, show them our pics, I'm sure they will replace it for you.

post #22 of 25 Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

What ever happend with your center stand? Did they replace it?

post #23 of 25 Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

They sent me a new one, which I just got today.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

post #24 of 25 Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Let us know how it turns out...

post #25 of 25 Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Interesting. Let us know how it turns out, please.

I, too have a SW Motech centerstand, also ordered from Twisted Throttle (whose excellent customer service is a rare and fine thing). Had it on my 919 for 2 years when it started behaving...oddly.

At first I thought my chain, which only had 12k miles on it and was maintained carefully, was reaching the end of its life and stretching. Tightened it up a couple of times, then replaced chain and sprox. Then the new chain started contacting the centerstand as well...about the same time that the bike started to become harder and harder to get off the centerstand. Uh-oh. I got down on the ground and took a look, and sure enough, the mounting bosses of the stand were bending where they contacted the holes in the frame. I pulled off the stand, with help, sent photos to Twisted Throttle, and they had a new stand on the way shortly.

Good outcome, for me, but sounds like SW Motech's QA is a bit off. Maybe you got a lemon of a stand...1.5 inches off the ground at the rear wheel? Too much.

Photos of my bent stand:

Not sure if welds cracked before or during removal, but alarming:

Hopefully the replacement will hold up better. I'll be checking it regularly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode