SW-MOTECH crash bar - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

SW-MOTECH crash bar

After making all futile efforts to find Givi bars, I finally ordered SW-Motech bars for my 919.

Instructions sound simple....but before i ll start doing anything...any 1st hand advise???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I have nothing for you but could you please post pics when finished please?

post #3 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awards Showcase

i'll post pics for sure!

post #4 of 15 Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Tirone

Garage
I installed these soon after I picked up my 919 last August. Only thing I can think of, for obvious reasons don't take all of the engine bolts out at the same time. When reassembling one of the bolts did not quite line up after, so I had to jack under the engine maybe 1/8" higher to get it to go in. I was able to install them by my self, but a second set of hands would always help. I did notice a new vibration just under 3000 rpm after installing that is still there 8 months later. Not bad just barely noticeable if you stay at that rpm while not accelerating.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awards Showcase

Here are some pics; these are not as low profile than Givi but doesn't look bad either.
http://flic.kr/p/fsGSPy

http://flic.kr/p/fsGSMq

http://flic.kr/p/fsGSGJ

post #6 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Looks good!

post #7 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudupdogz View Post
I installed these soon after I picked up my 919 last August. Only thing I can think of, for obvious reasons don't take all of the engine bolts out at the same time. When reassembling one of the bolts did not quite line up after, so I had to jack under the engine maybe 1/8" higher to get it to go in. I was able to install them by my self, but a second set of hands would always help. I did notice a new vibration just under 3000 rpm after installing that is still there 8 months later. Not bad just barely noticeable if you stay at that rpm while not accelerating.
that was really good tip...one bolt at a time did the trick.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Looks good. Compared to the Givi bars, these look like they'll do a better job preventing the bike from pivoting onto the tank in case of a tip over.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the look good but hate to be a negative nancy... but.... those top supports that mount to the engine will likely cause more damage in a crash than no crash bars at all.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
the look good but hate to be a negative nancy... but.... those top supports that mount to the engine will likely cause more damage in a crash than no crash bars at all.
I was wondering about this too, but I think that's in the case of individual engine mounted sliders. These bars attach to both engine mounts and to the frame in the back. It will probably hold up much better compared to a single slider.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #11 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I do not disagree with you. However, I opted these as i personally don't like sliders and no other crash bar is out there except these one. Same time i shared sckill opinion on sharing bolts on frame might cause less or no damage. But at the end what u wish for is never to test them.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

RE:

I hit the dirt 3 yrs ago with mine. It dug up a man's front yard, but only damage to my bike was broke signal lights. Install them and forget them.

[
post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by akscare View Post
I do not disagree with you. However, I opted these as i personally don't like sliders and no other crash bar is out there except these one. Same time i shared sckill opinion on sharing bolts on frame might cause less or no damage. But at the end what u wish for is never to test them.
Hopefully you will never need to put them to the test. The '03 has been dropped a few times from a standstill. It sports Renntec bars which have held up well, but are no longer made. A little sandpaper and some Rustoleum Gloss Black after masking has made them look new again.

Carry on and keep the shiny side up.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
With the givi they are mounted the same way. I tested my first set pretty hard (both sides) with one side being ground down half way through the pipe but they held up great. I've had no issues and I promptly bought another set for the replacement 919. I believe another member on here fixed up the rashed bars and is currently using them with zero issues.

With what I've experienced and saw, I've no doubt in my mind the mount point will present zero issues.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Tirone

anyone got pics of the givi bars for comparison?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode