Super bright headlight bulb?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Super bright headlight bulb??

I saw an approaching motorcycle yesterday and the headlight was so brilliantly bright that I could see it from very, very far down the road, and it was the middle of daytime. It looked like it was a different color, I dunno how to explain it. It kind of looked as if it was slightly tinted blue or violet, not overly a different color, just slightly. Does anyone know if this is a bulb that you can buy or do you have to get an entire new headlamp assembly? Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what they are called to search on them. I saw something on here called a headlight modulator, is that the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

It was an probably an HID bulb. Probably an illegal off road one if it was that bright. You can get them online, just do a search for HID motorcycle. The only thing is some are very high current. Make sure you don't create a fire if you get a super bright one.

Here's a kit.
Motorcycle HID Kit [Standard]

Oh, and be aware there are fake xenon bulbs out there. If it seems cheap, it's probably a tinted regular bulb.

Two wheelin for the feelin.
post #3 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i use 4 birthday candles inside a coke bottle duct taped to the front fender....

works ok...

post #4 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
dr1
dr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I saw something on here called a headlight modulator, is that the same thing?
nope, thats the thing that makes people looking like they are flashing their high beams at you... I dont know what part of the country the people around here come from who decided to use them....... but typically flashing your lights at people is a sign for something... lol. They probably find out one day when someone thinks they are being signalled to go ahead and make that left turn instead of waiting. oh, also incredibly annoying to people in front of you who have to see you in their mirror for long distances. may end up killing you. :P

post #5 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks guys, I'll check out the Xenon bulbs, they do a little complicated though. I wouldn't want to mess it up by reverse wiring everything or something like that.

post #6 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I tried it Brian and I have a question...How do you keep the bottle from turning black from the candles???? Is it cuz they weren't birthday candles, just regular candles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i use 4 birthday candles inside a coke bottle duct taped to the front fender....

works ok...

post #7 of 42 Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yup, probably HID. You can try sending a pm to xrmikey. He is using an HID setup and I noticed how bright it was on the last Peridic ride.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 42 Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Myztical, as bright as your jacket is, I wouldnt think you would even need a headlight, LOL.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #9 of 42 Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Damn you LOL. I got a different jacket so

That neon sure gets dirty and nasty real quick. I've opted to go for stealth and then ruin it all with a super bright orange shoei helmet.

post #10 of 42 Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Darn, it made you so ez to spot on the group ride, it probably does add to safety a bit. I am sure it gets nasty fast, I had a black and yellow jacket for snowmobiling that the yello parts looked terrible after 1 season

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #11 of 42 Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Hey Mystical,

That sounds like HID, which are expensive. Instead I installed a PIAA extreme, but my next bulb (thanks to Mikey's advice) is a cage Silverstar. I've installed a www.kisantech.com Headlight Modulator and give it the highest marks to save your bacon.

Have fuN!

post #12 of 42 Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
nope, thats the thing that makes people looking like they are flashing their high beams at you... I dont know what part of the country the people around here come from who decided to use them....... but typically flashing your lights at people is a sign for something... lol. They probably find out one day when someone thinks they are being signalled to go ahead and make that left turn instead of waiting. oh, also incredibly annoying to people in front of you who have to see you in their mirror for long distances. may end up killing you. :P
I see em here in So. Cal. I'm miffed also. I do find it's usage to be irritating, sort of like the "Baby On Board" bullshiit signs....."Baby on board so I'm OK driving like an as-shole"

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #13 of 42 Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I see em here in So. Cal. I'm miffed also. I do find it's usage to be irritating, sort of like the "Baby On Board" bullshiit signs....."Baby on board so I'm OK driving like an as-shole"

That's so funny! But how many close Tbone calls you had with cages cutting in front of you? In two years of my HLM I can count those panick stops on one hand! Use to be that many a week! Seriously I would have stopped riding without the HLM.

post #14 of 42 Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I've opted to go for stealth and then ruin it all with a super bright orange shoei helmet.
why do i picture her looking like a lit match with that orange helmet and "stealth" jacket....lol...

a little bitty short (although incredibly cute) match....

post #15 of 42 Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
yensyensen

Has anyone tried the PIAA Intense White bulb? I guess I'm not sure if some bulbs get too hot for 919 usage?

post #16 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Just another thread back from the dead. I guess someone uses the search after all!

Spoiler:

post #17 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensyensen View Post
Has anyone tried the PIAA Intense White bulb? I guess I'm not sure if some bulbs get too hot for 919 usage?
I have one but have not installed it yet.
That won't happen until May.

post #18 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensyensen View Post

It's just an overdriven/overwattage conventional-type bulb with blue tinted glass, not a good choice. Have to go to HIR/HOD or real HID to get actual better performance.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #19 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM
yzarc mi os

I run the PIAA intense white and makes a world of difference. it's rated lower than my stock bulb too. throws light much further down the road than the stocker did. it's a great lighting upgrade on the cheap. doing HID's on the cheap isn't a good idea since a non hid prism is not designed to use a true hid bulb

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #20 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
It's just an overdriven/overwattage conventional-type bulb with blue tinted glass, not a good choice. Have to go to HIR/HOD or real HID to get actual better performance.
You have been misinformed.
It's a 60 W hi and 55 W low wattage bulb design.
PIAA is technology, not a sledgehammer.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Garage
I commend this guy's article to your attention, then: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply (no connection/affiliation/yada yada yada.)

They're not technology, sadly. PIAA claims that their Intense White produces 135/125w worth of light from 60/55W worth of consumption, something that plainly isn't possible with that design of bulb.

There is more information online about how the PIAA bulbs don't actually deliver what they promise. I suggest you Google for yourself. Keywords "PIAA Bad" - plenty of people have gone out with photometers, etc., and found that they're not doing what they promise.

2002 Honda 919
post #22 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
McTavish

Quote:
I commend this guy's article to your attention, then: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply (no connection/affiliation/yada yada yada.)

They're not technology, sadly. PIAA claims that their Intense White produces 135/125w worth of light from 60/55W worth of consumption, something that plainly isn't possible with that design of bulb.

There is more information online about how the PIAA bulbs don't actually deliver what they promise. I suggest you Google for yourself. Keywords "PIAA Bad" - plenty of people have gone out with photometers, etc., and found that they're not doing what they promise.
Very very interesting read and thanks for posting it.
Hmmmm.
Well, we'll see what the bulb is like that I got and go from there.
Interestingly enough, I'm running Sylvania Silverstar Ultra in both cars and they make a huge difference. No one brings their H4s into Canada so I figured I would try the PIAA instead for the 919.
By the way, my experience has been that the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras are a shortER life bulb, but not a very short life bulb which the article says.

post #23 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Garage
Gah, ran out the edit timer. Here's the rest of that post.

The key specification you're looking for here is lumens. More is better. Wattage is just a measure of power consumption (or dissipation) and not a measure of light output. I'm also into British cars, and you can get a 65/55W 'H4' bulb from what used to be Lucas that's original to the car, etc., etc., but despite the wattage numbers it only produces a dull glow. At the same time I can put a 55/45W 'H4' from Hella in that produces far more light. The difference? The Lucas bulb produces 640 lumens; the Hella produces 1100. Lumens (or candela or candlepower) is the measure of how much light the bulb produces and should be what you look at/for first, then wattage, IMHO. Look at wattage as 'power consumption and heat generated' - much more than your stock bulb may cause wiring or housing damage.

Feel free to call PIAA's US HQ at 1-800-525-7422 and ask them just how many lumens their bulb produces. They certainly don't think it's important enough to list it on their web site.

2002 Honda 919
post #24 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Gah, ran out the edit timer. Here's the rest of that post.

The key specification you're looking for here is lumens. More is better. Wattage is just a measure of power consumption (or dissipation) and not a measure of light output. I'm also into British cars, and you can get a 65/55W 'H4' bulb from what used to be Lucas that's original to the car, etc., etc., but despite the wattage numbers it only produces a dull glow. At the same time I can put a 55/45W 'H4' from Hella in that produces far more light. The difference? The Lucas bulb produces 640 lumens; the Hella produces 1100. Lumens (or candela or candlepower) is the measure of how much light the bulb produces and should be what you look at/for first, then wattage, IMHO. Look at wattage as 'power consumption and heat generated' - much more than your stock bulb may cause wiring or housing damage.

Feel free to call PIAA's US HQ at 1-800-525-7422 and ask them just how many lumens their bulb produces. They certainly don't think it's important enough to list it on their web site.
Good info and thanks for taking the time to add it in.
Lumens are very important, for sure, but light frequency is also a player. The K number should also be looked at.

post #25 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
yzarc mi os

SO far i have had both silver stars ad piaa in my off road trucks and quads and the piaa's seem to last longer which is why i stick with them. the lower intensity piaa's in my truck have lasted longer than the oem's did. I'm not saying they are the end all of lights but they do a good job. Been tempted to try hella but i get a better deal on the piaa's.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #26 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

My buddy uses PIAA x 2 on both sides of his fender on his FZ1. I'll see what model they are...I let him lead during the night (at least while the dag on deer are out playing) since the lighting on my 919 sucks donkey o's.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Very very interesting read and thanks for posting i
Interestingly enough, I'm running Sylvania Silverstar Ultra in both cars and they make a huge difference. No one brings their H4s into Canada so I figured I

I have Silver Star Ultra H4's in my CB750 and 919, I bought them at a Canadian tire in BC. awesome bulb, but the 919's reflector still sucks at highway speeds at night. still looking for other lighting options.

post #28 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Tirone

I have a HID kit from retro solutions. It's a big improvement over stock and all plug and play....55w hid too vs most others being 35w. The company has outstanding reviews....

post #29 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igneale View Post
It was an probably an HID bulb. Probably an illegal off road one if it was that bright. You can get them online, just do a search for HID motorcycle. The only thing is some are very high current. Make sure you don't create a fire if you get a super bright one.

Here's a kit.
Motorcycle HID Kit [Standard]

Oh, and be aware there are fake xenon bulbs out there. If it seems cheap, it's probably a tinted regular bulb.
Hey Guys,

Has anyone tried this companys plug and play kit in a stock 9er housing?
The guy on the phone said I should use the Digital Slim and that will work well.
It seems like it would be a real viable option to the 599 coversion and a lot less headache.

Thoughts?

post #30 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
The Cripple

HIDS, while they may work for you, will not work for others! install one and you'll just be another asshole on the road blinding everyone without a proper projector and a proper lens angle.

regarding bulbs in the stock 919 light, i tried nearly everything and the light was still getting washed out from street lamps while riding at night. switched to the 599 setup and loved it.

the problem with the 919 light is that the light becomes too scattered for a single bulb in a huge housing. throw whatever bulb you want in there and live with it, switch to the 599 headlight set up, or throw in a PROPER hid set up with projector. snowgirl is working on this right now. check out her thread.

post #31 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
HIDS, while they may work for you, will not work for others! install one and you'll just be another asshole on the road blinding everyone without a proper projector and a proper lens angle.

regarding bulbs in the stock 919 light, i tried nearly everything and the light was still getting washed out from street lamps while riding at night. switched to the 599 setup and loved it.

the problem with the 919 light is that the light becomes too scattered for a single bulb in a huge housing. throw whatever bulb you want in there and live with it, switch to the 599 headlight set up, or throw in a PROPER hid set up with projector. snowgirl is working on this right now. check out her thread.
What I'd still like to do is the 599 swap and set up for both on when on high beam.
Plus use a 43 mm clip on and side mount a nice yellow fog lamp as a day time running light.

post #32 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Tirone

I have my kit in the stock housing, The cutoff is just like stock, no scattered light....no oncoming drivers flashing me, just brighter light in the same pattern as stock. The kit is bi xenon as well. I got the slim ballast 55w motorcycle kit. It was a little difficult trying to hide the relay and ballast but very doable and would do it again...Todd provides the best customer service I've seen in a long time.

post #33 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I put a Hella H4 100/80W headlight bulb in back in February of 2008. Brighter light and no problems to date with either the wiring handling the wattage or the headlight lens handling the extra heat output.

post #34 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Aquilifer

That's hella sweet.

post #35 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

Pvster Thanks for the heads up
I don't want to be another asshole on the road blinding everyone.

post #36 of 42 Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapakegovagnaps View Post
I have my kit in the stock housing, The cutoff is just like stock, no scattered light....no oncoming drivers flashing me, just brighter light in the same pattern as stock.
if you dont have any form of a projector or a means of refocusing the light into a narrow horizonal spectrum, you ARE blinding others. if your hid is in the same light pattern as stock but brighter, you ARE blinding others.

some basics on HIDs. closest i could find and i'm fixing to go play zombies on COD so if you want more technical, look it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker
Projectors will make the enjoyable of HID lightning work at its maximum potential. Projectors control the ammount of light on the road but you may be asking HID bulbs shift light everywhere? how could a projector enhance the performance of my HID bulbs? Well, there's this thing built inside the projector called "shield". A shield will control the shifting of light thus producing a beam with the maximum light possible to the road. The projector itself can be adjusted and you have the maximum light output at its maximum potential.

1) HID: High intensity Discharge lightning that produces an arc shifting light everywhere. In other words, this means that light from HID is basically uncontrollable. It shifts up, down, left, right. But what are the advantages and consecuences of having HIDs in your car?

A) OEM Projectors with HID's. These come in luxury cars. Great output, and road visibility is superb for those with poor visibility or weak eyes. If you love the look of it, then this is a must for it not only enhance visibility but the colorful cut-off makes you scream how could that be possible? The trick is in the lenses itself but I'm not gonna get into that here.

HID kits on ebay and elsewhere which claim to "enhance your light output on the road like true HID with projectors from luxury cars".
Reason why I hate pnp kits is that they lie their butts off to sell such hazard products which put in danger innocent lives while they make a profit out of it. Products which are sold for 100, 150 and/or 200 are just garbage. If you want a true pnp hid kit which will not have as much glare as others will be a good 400+ kit. Remember, you get what you paid for.
As I said before, HID bulbs produce an arc of light which shifts in every single direction: up, down, left, right. However, if you put a pnp kit in a halogen housing(reflector), you will have the effect of an HID without projectors, thus making that high intensity discharge lightning work to its minimum. Why? Reason why HID bulbs do its job shifting in the +/-x, and +/-y. You cannot control the shifting with a reflector. It has NO shields. This will case in glare coming from every single spot of the headlight. In other words, scattered light will be coming out of the headlight. This is the main complaint about pnp HID kits.

Pros of having a pnp kit: It will light up the road twice as a normal halogen will. You will be ab le to see road signs clearly.

Cons of having a pnp kit: widthness of light output isn't great. True cause of using an HID will be misinterpretated. Glare to oncoming traffic will be alot causing yourself to be a road hazard on wheels. Reducing the glare will in fact make your headlights aim down the ground more than they should which will backfire you. This backfire will be the loss of light output further down the road. IT IS ILLEGAL IN ALL STATES.
Read more:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

Now, draw your own conclusions and if you want a get a pnp kit because you want to improve your night-time driving and don't want to spend lots of money on retrofitting, then by all means go ahead but before you decide to get one, do your research and do it right. Get one that has a known brand name and is also known for reducing glare. If you decide to save money and greatly improve your night-time driving, then a retrofit with oem projectors is your best bet.
There are many great retrofitters in this website.
quoted from What you need to know about HID vs HID kit - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

so Tapakegovagnaps, unless you have an actual projector in your housing, you ARE blinding people with your glare, therefore you're BEING an asshole! i looked up the kit you used from retro solutions and they dont have projectors, hence my conclusion. so please, educate yourself on this issue and install some damn projectors or take the hid system out.

post #37 of 42 Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Tirone

Thanks for the great read.....Yes projectors are optimal and the only way to have hids legally.... I have no issues with my kit in the stock housing....no one flashes me so I don't think there's an issue.... I have the same kit in a f150 raptor, a f150, and a escalade with no issues..... My buddy's have the same kit in husq 630, a gt cs, 2 rams and a mountaineer.....we don't have issues, not one with projectors....especially not issues seeing where were going....I guess you can consider us a group of assholes....I was merely mentioning this particular kit to the OP as a option, as its a great pnp kit with a lifetime warranty and great customer service.. not trying to argue whether he should have projectors or not. If you want to discuss how hids work you can call retro solutions...

post #38 of 42 Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
The Cripple

i'll decline on calling retro because i KNOW it wont work for me. it bothers me a great deal that you assume that if no one flashes their lights at you that means they dont have a problem with it....the fact of the matter is, the glare is there. whether they flash their lights or not. the police need to start enforcing this rule to get all of those people who blind others off the road until they properly install hids or get rid of it altogether.

i've encountered MANY people running cheap hid setups without the proper projectors and i'm blinded by them all the time. if you and your buddy dont care that the glare bothers others, or take the consideration to correct the issue simply because people dont flash their lights at you, then yes. i do consider you and your buddy to be assholes. it's a pretty self centered perspective really. after the read, you KNOW the glare is there and still conclude that if no one flashes their lights at you, everything is ok with the world. sadly, it's become the American way and people wonder why the world hate us (other than for obvious reasons such as idiots like obama and congress running our country).

please reconsider by applying what you have learned rather than continue in your ignorance despite the knowledge you gained.

post #39 of 42 Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
What could happen?!...

I'm running HID's w/o proper projectors and I'm sure the light scatter is blinding & annoying to other motorists. Hence I am considering buying these motorcycle specific projectors to solve this issue. maybe something for you other HID-ers to look into also...

post #40 of 42 Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Batman

Let's agree to disagree gentlemen. Next topic.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode