Spencer's Seat Mod - on a 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

Spencer's Seat Mod - on a 919

Just wanted to share my experience with having the Spencer Seat mod done to my 919. I am in no way affiliated with the vendor - Just had an almost unbearable seat made new again.

Bike - 2004 Honda 919
Mods - Progel grips and Renthal High bars
Gripes - The seat was angled up too much. Causing me to slide forward under general riding unless I gripped the tank with my knees all the time. Was good for about 1/2 hr of highway riding until my rear needed a break.

I looked into modding the seat myself but based on foam costs and the time I'd have into it doing it 3-4 times before I got it right; so I decided against it. A local upholstery shop quoted me $200 to have it modified.

I settled on the long distance option for just the rider portion, sent an email with some pics of me and a description of my concerns. He said for the 919 that the long distance option is a must due to the thin foam in the 919 seat.

Shipping the seat - I bought a 12x12x40 box from a local moving/storage place for $5, packaged it up and cut the sides down to fit tightly against the box. Fedex was $15 each way. Took 3 days to get down there.

Turn around time - He emailed me on a Friday to let me know he had received it and shipped it the following Monday.

Impressions - Look - Completely stock appearance
Feel - feels alot like a memory foam type of material - comparing it to the passenger area you can see it takes more time for it to rebound after pushing into it, plus a larger amount of foam deflects when you push on it with your finger. This leads to much better support.

I've done (2) 1/2 hour rides with it so far. I don't move forward at all anymore and it felt great.

I'm very happy with the service, price and performance. I'll comment back after I do a few rides to lansing,GR or detroit with it.

Vendor Website
Page 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Discen

I also just sent him my seat and got it back on this past Friday. I am eager to check it out, but it is still sitting in the box and I am working all this week. I look forward to your report.

post #3 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Cornicen

My same complaint on the stock seat. Very interested!

post #4 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 PM
The Cripple

god i love my corbin gunfighter seat....

post #5 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Enginerd

I'm sure the corbins are a great seat but for $110 shipped. I have a comfy seat and plenty of extra money for a new rear tire.

post #6 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
8th bike and 2nd 919!

The down side to the corbin is I worry about it getting rained on,stolen, or sitting up higher off the ground.. The stock vinyl seat you dont worry about it getting rained on or stolen.

On my 2nd niner! 2wheels are better than 4
post #7 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Spencers Seat Mod did the '03 919 with the comfort gel and lowering option.

Great job!

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Princeps Prior

Hey....LOL....this thread looks familiar.... ha, ha.

post #9 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

Shhhhhh don't tell anybody..

post #10 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Pics....

post #11 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

It looks 100% like a stock seat. Sooo... see my avatar I suppose.

post #12 of 26 Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Imaginifer

Should be getting mine in the mail on Thursday. I can't wait!

post #13 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Man, I might have to do this. Did two 7+ hr rides this past wkend, the only way the Corbin is comfortable for me is when I sit back in it, where it can cradle my butt. I'm 5'7" and sitting back in the seat means I have to extend my arms. Bleh expensive #*[email protected] Corbin.

post #14 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

it's a pretty low risk investment, I like to sit right in the middle of the seat and this seems to work out good for that. Weather/school/work havent cooperated yet to let me put any distance on mine yet

Bryan

post #15 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Discen

Just sent out my seat for the mod but $110 is what it costs (at least from illinois) just for shipping both ways + the $75 for the actual mod , when did UPS get so damn greedy ..lol....Hope you can fill us in on how well the seat is improved.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Sixty-9er

^ LOL get a better (smaller) box dude. I cut down a vacuum cleaner box to be under the united inches. Was like 25 bucks round trip. Held together like a champ. Lots of tape

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #17 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkspwrsche View Post
The down side to the corbin is I worry about it getting rained on,stolen, or sitting up higher off the ground.. The stock vinyl seat you dont worry about it getting rained on or stolen.
i dont notice much difference in seat height. but then again i'm not short so i cant comment on that aspect.

rain... i ride rain or shine and haven't had a problem in nearly a year that i've owned the seat so no problems there!

as for being stolen.... it's held in by the locking mech. again, no problem here. someone(s) tried to steal the bike twice (had it locked up good) but couldn't so they pushed the bike over (both times, once on each side). didnt take anything off the bike.

thank god i have a garage now!

post #18 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Need money for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
but couldn't so they pushed the bike over (both times, once on each side)
assholes.... ever wish you were there so you could just beat the living shit out of people like that?

post #19 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganktor View Post
assholes.... ever wish you were there so you could just beat the living shit out of people like that?
oh totally.... and it'd be a slow, painful beating to say in the least. 2nd pushover nearly totaled the bike. was mint too til it got pushed over. assholes....

nonetheless, it'll be better once im done with it! plus, the insurance payout allowed me to buy an engagement ring i otherwise wouldnt of been able to afford so it worked out well in the end.

post #20 of 26 Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Need money for parts.

well, at least you got something good out of it. still sucks.

post #21 of 26 Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Got my seat done in 2008. Received it right before my wife and I took off 2up from San Diego to Idaho. We left at 0600. We didn't stop riding until we hit Salt Lake City at midnight, and the only reason we stopped is because I didn't have an HID light and I didn't want to risk hitting a deer.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #22 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangster View Post
Just sent out my seat for the mod but $110 is what it costs (at least from illinois) just for shipping both ways + the $75 for the actual mod , when did UPS get so damn greedy ..lol....Hope you can fill us in on how well the seat is improved.
Lamp Box 12" x 12" x 40" | The Box Wagon

I bought one of these from a local moving/storage place for $5 and it ended up being $30 both ways from fedex. I didnt find much difference between fedex and ups.

I ended up cutting the box down to 31" or so - FedEx picks up where I work so I went online and printed out my own labels. When I actually measured the box I felt it was closer to 12.25" but their system only let you put in whole numbers. at 13 x 13 it was $30 each way. I put in 12" x 12" knowing that they send a follow up notice to let let you know what it actually was.

I was relieved when I got that email that told me my price didn't change.

Bryan

post #23 of 26 Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Got my seat done in 2008. Received it right before my wife and I took off 2up from San Diego to Idaho. We left at 0600. We didn't stop riding until we hit Salt Lake City at midnight, and the only reason we stopped is because I didn't have an HID light and I didn't want to risk hitting a deer.
That's very encouraging! I still haven't been able to put any time on mine. If it's not cold its raining.

Bryan

post #24 of 26 Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Imaginifer

Got mine back last week. I was very impresseed with the work. Spencer actually added material to the seat to allow it to stretch over a now slightly bigger seat. And it is considerably better than stock now. I will be taking a longer ride next week, after which I'll report back. I'm happy with my investment. It was $36 toatl in shipping from mid-Missouri down to Florida and back.

post #25 of 26 Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Some people can ride a Corbin, and lots can't. Two years ago we had a couple of Corbins that went around the USA many times, before someone kept them. The same thing on the BMW forums, alot of Corbins for sale.

[
post #26 of 26 Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedprotege View Post
Lamp Box 12" x 12" x 40" | The Box Wagon

I bought one of these from a local moving/storage place for $5 and it ended up being $30 both ways from fedex. I didnt find much difference between fedex and ups.

I ended up cutting the box down to 31" or so - FedEx picks up where I work so I went online and printed out my own labels. When I actually measured the box I felt it was closer to 12.25" but their system only let you put in whole numbers. at 13 x 13 it was $30 each way. I put in 12" x 12" knowing that they send a follow up notice to let let you know what it actually was.

I was relieved when I got that email that told me my price didn't change.

Bryan
Lesson learned , i just basically walked in the UPS Store with the seat under my arm and said "I need this to get to Florida " ...Well you live and you learn , can't wait to get it back and give it a test run.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode