speedohealer - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

speedohealer

when you get a speed o healer how do you set it if you do not have GPS?? i am thinking of buying one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Is a Speedohealer the same thing as a witch doctor? and where do you find them? I checked the yellow pages for Black Magic but not having any luck!

post #3 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I did not have a gps, I just found one of those radar speed things they post all over the road construction sites. You know the "your speed is" display they have going into the construction zones.

I held steady at 65 mph indicated on my speedo and got my real speed from the radar display and then just did the math and set it up.

If you don't have one of those you could mount a bicycle speedo to your front wheel and do the same thing. I use a sigma BC800 on my RC51. You just have to set it up by measuring the circumference of your wheel.

That is how I set mine up.

Don't you have any LEO buddies?

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci

post #4 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehren2800 View Post

Don't you have any LEO buddies?
just one and he is a lieutenant ... so he don't really "work"... no radar... all he is good for is golf.... speaking of which i need to call him and set up a round for when the prices drop here shortly because season is ending...

and i honestly avoid police like the plague... absolutely no use for them... at all....

post #5 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Yea but for that bike speedo to work he's going to have to learn to ride around with the front wheel on the ground.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #6 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Let's see. Where could you find some long flat roads with mile markers to time your speedo? hmmmm. You're in Florida.

I know! Kansas!

Or borrow somebody's battery powered GPS.
Or pace off somebody who has one.
Or pace off a GM product.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
and i honestly avoid police like the plague... absolutely no use for them... at all....
Me too, I like to stay under the radar so to speak. I can't complain though, out of all the road trips I have taken by bike I got ONE speeding ticket and the guy was professional and nice enough. Not bad, 45 states, 1 ticket.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #8 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

My speed was healed with the 17T. How far off is yours with the 17T?

post #9 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
My speed was healed with the 17T. How far off is yours with the 17T?
i dont know how far its off... or even if it is off... it could be dead on...

i am running the 17t front...

post #10 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Get Mary to drive beside you and set the cruise control on 65, but make sure she doesn't have her cell phone.

post #11 of 32 Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
...and i honestly avoid police like the plague... absolutely no use for them... at all....

Yeah, I stay away from donut shops too...

post #12 of 32 Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
hairball919

Well, I ordered my new SpeedoHealer! Thanks for the advice, Brian! The only problem was how hard it was to find AND the only authorized US distributor of the unit is out of stock for the 919. They said too many folks in Ft Lauderdale are buying them up! But hey, they are nice enough to e-mail you back and tell you how long it will be until they expect to get their shipment in for your application. Solo was the only other site I found these on but they didn't have any for 919's. So, ordered mine from www.calsportbike.com since no other site had them for any bike. And calsportbike is nice enough to NOT bill your card until they actually HAVE the unit in their hands ready to ship to you! THIS is cool. They gave me the option to cancel my order rather than wait. But since they said they expect the 919 units to be coming in with their shipment scheduled to arrive in 8-10 days, I chose to hurry up and wait. After all, I need this baby! Especially since I'm getting ready for a 2600 mile ride!

Hey Brian, you over your disease? Oh, it was a cold? Sorry. All better yet?

post #13 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
hairball919

My speedo-healer is on it's way!

Dang, I just ordered it from SOLO on Monday and it's already there and was shipped out today! Daniel told me on the phone that they were getting about 45 in on Thursday and if any were for a 919 and were not already sold, he would ship me one. Well, apparently I was in luck on both aspects! I'm so excited I could just sh*t!

Plus it was only $109 and free shipping. Cal-Sportbike wouldn't have any in for a 919 for 8-10 days.

post #14 of 32 Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 AM
hairball919

Got my speedo healer on Friday. Cool. Even came with 4 really cool decals (2 big, 2 small).

Ony "problem" is how complicated it seems like it's going to be to program! I sat on the couch and read the entire programming instructions, all 4 pages, and it sounds like not much fun. I had no idea it would take a rocket scientist to do the mathmatical formulas and equations! Hell, my calculator doesn't even do some of these functions!

So, are they REALLY very hard to program? I don't have a stand, so have no way to get my bike off the ground unless I run over to my buddy's house and have him lift the backend with his engine hoist like we did to change my exhaust.

I'm starting to wonder if I made yet another foolish purchase. Heck, I already sold the brand new DigiTech Digital Gear Indicator because it sounded to freakin' complicated to program! Now this? As complicated as the instructions and formulas sound, I'm having second thoughts about installing it.

Any comments from your experience? Are they easier to program than they seem? Please let me know so I can decide if I want to keep it or sell it like I've done to more than half of the crap I bought for my bike that ended up being a waste of money or two hard to install or program.

Thanks.

post #15 of 32 Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

I don't remember my speedo healer being that difficult. What are you having trouble with? Ask away, someone here can help.

post #16 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
hairball919

Oh, I haven't even got started yet. I just read the instructions and they SEEMED complicated. Maybe they're not. I just get the idea you have to either run the bike with the tire off the ground and go through each gear up to top speed or something OR have a GPS.

Might there be an easier way to program it? And to figure out the percentage my speed is off? Is there an easy way besides reading a ticket? And are these units going to make my speedo accurate in the entire range or only at certain mph's?

When I get ready to tackle the job at hand, I'll let you folks know if I have an questions.

Brian, don't YOU have one on your 9'r?

post #17 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Brian, don't YOU have one on your 9'r?
nope.... i have a 17 tooth front sprocket and a very healthy disregard for posted speed limits... and i live somewhere where the cops are very reluctant to chase a motorcycle...

post #18 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase

Dude, go to the speedo healer website; http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

They have installation instructions, which I'm sure you have, and also tips and FAQ's by customers.

post #19 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Sean, I read through the online instructions and using their estimation method (stock gearing, but compensating for 5% optomistic speedo) you would set your SH for -5. Your calibration would read A-5.

If you already know how far your speedo is off then use their precise method.

I'm switching from stock gearing to 16/44 so mine will read A-7.3 using the estimation method.

post #20 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
no max no more

i can use my brain i think what the average it off by on stock gearing at highway speeds

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #21 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Tired of Tirone

Brian,

I have a GPS you can use anytime you need it.

Just PM me when you're ready.

post #22 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 AM
hairball919

My speedo is almost perfect at city speeds (30-40ish) according to those roadside "Your Speed... Slow Down!" signs we have all over town. But on the freeway I think it's off because I find it hard to believe every car on the freeway is going 70+ in a 60mph zone.

My next question I guess, since I'm getting famous for asking stupid questions AND because I haven't googled them is: are any of those GPS things you guys speak of mountable and readable on the handlebar area? Are you just talking about Garmins or Tom Toms? Because I've seen handheld and pocket sized ones. If I get a GPS for my bike, I've done a LOT of comparison and decided to get NO other besides the Garmin Zumo 550. I read tons and tons of articles and reviews and the Zumo 550 beats the crap out of the Tom Tom Rider by far! (Feel free to read the reviews yourself.)

post #23 of 32 Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
no max no more

how much is it off by stock setup ?on average

post #24 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
hairball919

Not sure yet. Seems fine in town, but off a bit on the freeway. And when I hit that "indicated" 140 a couple weeks ago, I highly doubt I was even close to that speed.

The 10 lessons I learned at that indicated speed of 140mph:

1. Farmers' daughters are just a blur!
2. Backpacks should be left at home!
3. There IS a God, and I'm not him!
4. My 919 IS as fast as my local service guy said it was!
5. I need to start wearing Depends!
6. 7th gear is missing!
7. The Space Shuttle certainly must be fun!
8. I need a ZX-14 or Hayabusa!
9. Highway 12 from Morton to I-5 rocks!
10. Barton664 is an ass hole! (Oh, wait, I already knew that.)

All I know is I need to get that speedo healer put in!

post #25 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
9. Highway 12 from Morton to I-5 rocks!
Did you do the entire loop around Mt. Rainier? We did a clockwise loop - Enumclaw to Yakima on 410, then took 12 to Morton. I only topped out around 90 or so, but it was still an amazing 300 mile day!

post #26 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
hairball919

No. There were 13 of us, so getting everyone to agree on a ride that long would been like pulling teeth. But lemme know when you plan to do that ride next time, I might join ya. IF, and only IF (because I'm a wimp) the roads are DRY.

post #27 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

The speedometer is WAY inaccurate. Part of the problem is the speedo and the odometer are inaccurate by different amounts. So, pick your correction factor- accurate speedo or accurate odometer. I did a lot of work calculating these numbers a while back. I have them at home filed away and I should be able to post enough info for you to get what you want. Speedo checking was done with radar signs and a GPS, and the odometer checks were done over 10 mile stretches for accuracy on a highway with milemarkers.
I'll post up as soon as I can dig it out, hopefully tonight.

post #28 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
no max no more

so the speedo fix is just as useless as the flapper mod

post #29 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I found the information I collected when I put my Speedo-Healer in. The testing was done on an '03 919 with a 180/55-17 Pilot Power with 400 miles on it. Tire type and wear will influence the results due to changes in rolling radius.

The speedometer is about 10% fast. The odometer over a carefully measured 10 miles came up at 10.3 miles meaning it was 3% optimistic.

I first tried -9.0 on the Speedo-Healer. These were the results-

Speedometer reading 40 actual 41
" 50 " 51
" 58 " 59
10 miles measured resulted in 9.3 on the odometer; now 7% low.

I then tried -5.0% on the Speedo-Healer.

Speedometer reading 40 actual 39/40
" " 50 " 49
" " 60 " 59
" " 61 " 60

10 miles measured came up 9.7 on the odometer; 3% slow.

I decided to leave it at the -5.0% setting as the best compromise between the speedometer and the odometer. Less correction factor will help odometer accuracy at the expense of the speedometer. I hope you find this helpful. Chris

post #30 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
boogerface

Hey Brian,

Switch to a 17/43 setup and you won't need a Speedohealer. That's what I have. It's not wheelie happy as the 15/45 setup, though...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #31 of 32 Old 04-03-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
Hey Brian,

Switch to a 17/43 setup and you won't need a Speedohealer. That's what I have. It's not wheelie happy as the 15/45 setup, though...
yeah... i have the 17/stock rear on there now...

honestly mike... i thought about a speedohealer..but its just a waste of a 100 bucks.. i rarely look at the speedo... i just ride 5-10 mph faster than traffic and i have no probs...

i am thinking seriously about the 520 chain conversion tho... but i will do it with stock gearing tho...

i mean if a 1000ss can run a 520 chain without snapping it.. the weak pathetic 919 will never hurt one...

hey if you still have the 15t front and ya wanna get rid of it lemme know please..

post #32 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

On a side note, anyone needing a J.Ahlman conversion chart, I have that archived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode