Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Skully P1 helment w/HUD and rear camera

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KarlJay 
#1 ·
Skully is making a new helmet that has a HUD (Heads Up Display) and a rear view camera. You can watch what's going on behind you in the HUD. Interesting idea.

They put the video display down in the lower part so it doesn't get in the way.

I wonder if they'll have an app that'll do the same, have to hook up separate camera some how, but with Augmented Reality, it could be done if you can get the camera feed in.

Skully P1 helmet has a rear view camera and augmented reality - SlashGear

#3 ·
I've always thought it would be cool if, instead of an instrument cluster, there's a bluetooth transmitter. And then a receiver in your helmet that projects speed, rpm, fuel and warning lights to either side or the bottom/top of your visor.

I'd pay upwards of $600 for such a thing. But I imaging it wouldn't be that cheap when it's new tech.

It's doable with today's tech, just whether or not it's lucrative is the big question.

#4 ·
I've heard prices in the $1400 range. It's supposed to be Android powered.

I do app dev for Apple and played with AR (augmented reality) for a bit a few years ago. It's simply the output of one camera displayed semi-transparent over the display of another camera. You can do the same with a see thru display and one camera.

One other option is to have the device on the dash and connect to a rear camera, but the device needs to connect to the remote camera.

You could use a Raspberry Pi, they have HD camera that plug in.

The downside is that you have to buy their helmet and they are not cheap.

maybe GoPro will have a dual camera setup or the ability to have multi-cameras.

No reason for these to be $1400. Cars have backup cameras now and HD cameras are DIRT cheap. Millions of phones have them, not a big deal anymore to have an HD camera.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.