Single Exhaust Conversion - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Single Exhaust Conversion

Hi everybody, I'm new to the world bikes and just had a question about the single under exhaust for the 919. I understand what is involved in doing it for the most part as finding it in the forums and online was easy enough but my main question is should I do it or not? I have Erion Racing exhausts on my 2003 919 but I really do like the look of the single under exhaust (reminds me of a SV650). Would anyone know if I would gain power or lose power and in what rev range would I gain/lose it. I did some research and from what I can gather I have one of the better pipes on the market for the bike and they don't sound too bad either . So my main question is pros and cons of single exhaust vs my exhaust both with a power commander. Thank you to everyone who helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

You will lose mid-range but gain some top end. It helps to get a proper dyno-tune after the change, but some have just used the single-side exhaust maps provided in the Dropbox folder.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Aquilifer

The single side exhaust actually has a little better dyno numbers then most slip-ons/systems. Not sure that I'm that "in tune" to notice a difference thou. However it does remove a fair amount of weight that is pretty high on the bike.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 AM
Left of Centre

You will certainly drop some weight, and from an awkward place, but one big change is to the way the bike looks - what do you prefer?

The other big change is for those bikes that have the exhaust-stink issue - the exhaust now exits down low and out of the way, and the stink doesn't get pulled back up on to the rider or passenger.

If you don't have the stink and are happy with the sound and performance of your current pipe set-up, I'd leave them be.

If, on the other hand, you want a winter mod project and want your bike to look a bit "custom", tear into it.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well we don't get much of a winter here in Florida but I'm always down to tinker with something. I think that for now I will leave it until I have another bike to use due to all the customizing I want to do to the 919. I hope to have this bike until I'm not on this Earth anymore and wanted to make it my own. I'm planning on spending way more money than I'll ever get back by doing dual headlight, fork swap, single exhaust, gauge swap and whatever else comes up in the future. Thank you for telling me about the mid range loss and thankfully my bike doesn't have the stinky exhaust that I've read about. Thank you for helping me with my question and I hope that I'll be able to contribute to the forum soon enough.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Left of Centre

Mmmm...fork swap.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode