Silicone Lower Radiator Hose Kit - Gauging Interest - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CB700S
  • 1 Post By Trailing_Throttle

post #1 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Silicone Lower Radiator Hose Kit - Gauging Interest

Last week I received absolute confirmation of information we already mostly knew - Honda has discontinued the lower radiator hose for the 919 entirely and at this point there isn't any plan to put it back into production at any point, which is rather unusual for Honda on stuff like this.

I've seen ads for the Chinese silicone hose sets. My personal experience with Chinese silicone hoses has been rather hit or miss - fine for vacuum, generally okay for air, not fine for coolant.

As a result I've looked around and found a very highly regarded silicone hose maker (they supply Honda racing teams) that *doesn't* make their stuff in China and worked out a kit of the hose and two of the special hose clamps. The retail cost with the current exchange rate is just under $100 including shipping to the US. I've ordered one, but am looking around to see if anyone would be interested in buying this so the maker can decide if they should assign it its own part number or if it should be left out of their catalog as a 'silent special order' option.

There is about a month's lead time on this kit, so I'll post up pictures when it arrives and I install it. In the meantime, anyone at least academically interested in this kit being made available as a regular order item?
mcromo44 likes this.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Last week I received absolute confirmation of information we already mostly knew - Honda has discontinued the lower radiator hose for the 919 entirely and at this point there isn't any plan to put it back into production at any point, which is rather unusual for Honda on stuff like this.

I've seen ads for the Chinese silicone hose sets. My personal experience with Chinese silicone hoses has been rather hit or miss - fine for vacuum, generally okay for air, not fine for coolant.

As a result I've looked around and found a very highly regarded silicone hose maker (they supply Honda racing teams) that *doesn't* make their stuff in China and worked out a kit of the hose and two of the special hose clamps. The retail cost with the current exchange rate is just under $100 including shipping to the US. I've ordered one, but am looking around to see if anyone would be interested in buying this so the maker can decide if they should assign it its own part number or if it should be left out of their catalog as a 'silent special order' option.

There is about a month's lead time on this kit, so I'll post up pictures when it arrives and I install it. In the meantime, anyone at least academically interested in this kit being made available as a regular order item?
Yes.
Plus, your effort is appreciated.

post #3 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I'd be interested for a future purchase. And thanks for putting this on their radar.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Left of Centre

Yes, I'd be interested.

post #5 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Pilus Posterior

Count me in. Bad on Honda to end something this is in direct sunlight like that. How hard is it to make a damn hose.

What's in the kit, every cooling hose or just the lower one?

post #6 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM
WxN
Itís 9:19 somewhere.

Garage
This makes 5. Thanks for the heads up.

post #7 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage

The company already makes a complete hose set for about three times this price, but having replaced every other hose on the bike recently, I wasnít needing the all-hoses kit. And the clamps were extra with that kit. There are also some minor but important concerns with silicone hoses that make me want to stay with the Honda EPDM rubber where possible - but thatís not possible for this lower hose any more, is it?

It is *very* unusual for Honda to discontinue a hose like this this soon on a bike that sold as well as this did in Europe. So much so that I am suspecting that this is something like Ďsupplier went bankrupt, took tooling/molds with them.í

I am not naming the company I am working with at this time, not because I intend to profit off this (I wonít be, you guys will have to order through one of their distributors) but because they are doing me/us a favor and until product is in my hands and any problems sorted out I donít want to screw this up; we are going to be at the mercy of companies like this as these bikes age.

The hose is built by hand and if the supplied clamps are used will have a lifetime warranty.

Some of you may have figured out who they are; please do not post this information publicly at this time.

2002 Honda 919
post #8 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Count me in for a future purchase.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 PM
Pilus Posterior

This reminds me of a video I saw of an engine swap. They took the rad hoses and made them out of stainless steel (or alum) tube and shaped it to fit so that all you needed was very small stubs on both ends to attache the metal tube.

IDK what it would take to make an alum tube that shape (or whatever shape will work) but then all we'd need is a small hose to attach the ends. This would also be a final solution except the rubber ends.

I have a TIG and oxy welder set, I wonder how hard it is to bend alum tube without crushing it. I think stainless might be easier to bend. I also have a HF pipe bender.

CB700S, is your concern about this have to do with chemistry, mixing different hose types causing other problems?

post #10 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
This reminds me of a video I saw of an engine swap. They took the rad hoses and made them out of stainless steel (or alum) tube and shaped it to fit so that all you needed was very small stubs on both ends to attache the metal tube.

IDK what it would take to make an alum tube that shape (or whatever shape will work) but then all we'd need is a small hose to attach the ends. This would also be a final solution except the rubber ends.

I have a TIG and oxy welder set, I wonder how hard it is to bend alum tube without crushing it. I think stainless might be easier to bend. I also have a HF pipe bender.

CB700S, is your concern about this have to do with chemistry, mixing different hose types causing other problems?

Karl, you might want to rethink that idea. Look at how close the exhaust header is to the hose and consider the fact that Honda put a heat shield in the form of that external spring on the rubber hose for additional shielding - on top of using an insulating hose material. Unless you want to stick tons of insulation on this proposed metal tube, all youíll do is heat up the coolant entering the engine from the radiator.

As for my concerns - certain types of silicone are softer and less cut resistant than EPDM, there can be some coolant loss at the microscopic level with some silicone hoses, and there can be chemical compatibility issues with some coolants, but Iím not worried about Honda coolant doing that. However, there can also be external chemical spills on silicone hoses that will dissolve them where an EPDM hose will ignore it.

2002 Honda 919
post #11 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 PM
919 Rider

Ahh...that's why that that lower rad hose is that shape, with the dog leg in it. It's to force the hose away from the hot header pipe. A non shaped hose would hang down and run parallel with the header.
I've been running a full set of silicone coolant hoses for about three years now. Never lost a drop of coolant and they look and feel like new.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I would be interested, at over 50k miles mine are probably living on borrowed time as it is

Dan
post #13 of 20 Old 08-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Tirone

Is still one hose available at CMSNL just for 6 Euros.

Link here:

http://www.cmsnl.com/search/?section...3-MCZ-000&tab=

Search: 19503-MCZ-000

post #14 of 20 Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 PM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario_hawk View Post
Is still one hose available at CMSNL just for 6 Euros.

Link here:

http://www.cmsnl.com/search/?section...3-MCZ-000&tab=

Search: 19503-MCZ-000
Feeding frenzy!

post #15 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, Add me to the list. At 18 years old I can't expect current hose to last much longer.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Greg

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I’m in for this group buy

post #17 of 20 Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 AM
Tirone

Count me in for a hose buy--although I am intrigued by the concept of a thin-wall stainless formed tube with an added heat shield as a solution.
WxN likes this.

post #18 of 20 Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesickest View Post
Iím in for this group buy

FYI, this isn't a group buy as of yet. As of now, it may be offered as a standard catalog item at their distributors - the level of interest will determine whether it becomes a listed item or if it's a 'secret' item that's not listed but available as a special order.

2002 Honda 919
post #19 of 20 Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesickest View Post
I’m in for this group buy

FYI, this isn't a group buy as of yet. As of now, it may be offered as a standard catalog item at their distributors - the level of interest will determine whether it becomes a listed item or if it's a 'secret' item that's not listed but available as a special order.
Perhaps there is enough interest to justify a price reduction for a group buy as well as adding it to the catalog?

post #20 of 20 Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Perhaps there is enough interest to justify a price reduction for a group buy as well as adding it to the catalog?

No idea what minimum quantity would be on such a buy and not something I want to explore until I get my hands on the product to evaluate and install it.

2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode