Shorai In 2018 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 04-07-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Post Shorai In 2018

My Yuasa finally died on me and I am thinking about going with a Shorai Lithium but a bit concerned about info I've been reading, although most of that seems relatively dated (LDH had some great info he posted here and elsewhere back in 2014 that was particularly concerning).

What is the current consensus on Shorai batteries? If I could leave the bike for three or four months during the winter and not have to worry about charging the battery it would be great! Is the quality and reliability there with Shorai?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've had mine in the 919 since 2012 I believe. No issues yet.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I've had mine in the 919 since 2012 I believe. No issues yet.
Thanks RMB! Have you had to charge at all and what kind of time periods have you left it without starting?

post #4 of 17 Old 04-07-2018, 05:56 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've used a tender periodically, not over this past winter or the last i think. Turned the key just now and it primed and lights are bright. Haven't tried to start it yet this year, soon though.

post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Tesserarius

Have you seen that big, long thread containing complaints, and condemnations from Shorai owners. No. Because none exist. I've had Shorais for at least 8 years. They're the only motorcycle battery I buy. A Shorai saved my posterior years ago when I dunked a KLX in a stream on Eglin AFB. I cranked for what seemed forever, until that old KLX came back to life. A Yuasa would have fizzled, I'm afraid. I know there a few guys that don't like them, don't trust them. But that's not me.

Shorais have 2 down sides. They cost more. They don't crank real well right off the bat when they're cold. If you're saving money, by playing with motorcycles, tell me how that can be achieved. If you plug your Shorai into a Battery Tender for 10 minutes or so while you're gathering your riding gear, it will be a bit warmed up, and you're good to go. Unlike a big V2, a 919 doesn't take a lot of cranking power anyway. And, how often do you ride when it's cold?

The upside is they weigh next to nothing, maybe a quarter of what a lead battery weighs. They're smaller. In my experience, they last longer. I think they're a little tougher in that you can drain them lower, more often before they finally wear out. You treat a Shorai a little differently when it comes to charging. Plug it into a Battery Tender until it's topped off. Then unplug it. Don't leave a Shorai on the Tender for long periods of time.

post #6 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Thanks for the input Sniper and rmb! Picked up a Shorai this morning! Could have bought a Yuasa for about $50 less online, but the Cycle Gear store where I picked it up had both batteries for $179 - same price. I figured I didn't want to get the Shorai online as I can easily take it back to Cycle Gear if I have any issues and they will make good on it.

Kind of interesting to me, the one guy working at Cycle Gear said he fried up some components on a Yamaha R1 and there is a well known issue not to use a lithium on them - this is the kind of stuff that scares me. But hey - I'll hope for the best and see how the Shorai works out!

post #7 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Tesserarius

I would like to hear exactly what and how he "fried" in an R1 with a Shorai.

I googled: R1 Shorai problem, and got nothing.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I dont see how he fried it with a lithium battery either unless he crossed the wires. A lithium cell is an advancement in battery technology, it still provides 12 volts (12.4-12.6) and what ever cca listed. Its not "different" in how it powers except it supplies 100% power until almost dead whereas a lead or gell cell gets weaker as the level fades. Just my 2 cents, I expect new battery tech to surface soon as handheld cordless tools are getting extremely more powerfull.

post #9 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Disclaimer - I know nothing about electrical stuff at all, and just relaying what I was told...

He said that it was a 2015 R1 and it was melting the casing on the positive lead, and the battery was reading high like 15 volts or more. He said he contacted Yamaha in California and they had him email details (pics I believe) of the issue and they told him that the R1 electrical system was designed for Yuasa Lead Acid batteries and only htey should be used. He said he found one other person with the same issue in some forums, but based on info from Yamaha it is a known issue.

post #10 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Disclaimer - I know nothing about electrical stuff at all, and just relaying what I was told...

He said that it was a 2015 R1 and it was melting the casing on the positive lead, and the battery was reading high like 15 volts or more. He said he contacted Yamaha in California and they had him email details (pics I believe) of the issue and they told him that the R1 electrical system was designed for Yuasa Lead Acid batteries and only htey should be used. He said he found one other person with the same issue in some forums, but based on info from Yamaha it is a known issue.
Right on, I am also not a battery expert but unless their were some kind of polarity shift or just a bad battery it wouldn't be able to supply over it's labeled voltage. Battery Voltage Information ? Battery University is a link to a good battery read. As you can see in the lithium chart at discharge they emit between 2.7-3.0 volts per cell. This would discharge around 12 volts+-, now if the R1 had some kind of wonky rectifier or something on it that distributed the discharge rate than I guess it would be possible. This would also peev me off because that would mean Yammy was monetizing with Yuasa on old tech. I have a friend with a 2014 and he is running a lithium cell, I should update but I still like the gell cell sealed batteries. That said I also have a BT setup nicely so its no trouble to hook it up.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 04:13 PM
The Cripple

I've learned over the years to trust cycle gear and the people that work there less and less.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Well, um, ok, but I just hope this Shorai starts my 919 every time I press the little button over by the throttle and doesn't need a babysitter like an old school Yuasa. Time will tell.

post #13 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Tesserarius

How did that battery get to 15 volts?

Like I said in my first reply, you treat a Shorai a little differently than you do a lead/acid. You keep an eye on it, and as soon as the Battery Tender turns solid green, indicating a full charge, you unplug it.

Or possibly the rectifier on the R1 failed.

That battery didn't get to 15 volts on its own.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
How did that battery get to 15 volts?

Like I said in my first reply, you treat a Shorai a little differently than you do a lead/acid. You keep an eye on it, and as soon as the Battery Tender turns solid green, indicating a full charge, you unplug it.

Or possibly the rectifier on the R1 failed.

That battery didn't get to 15 volts on its own.
^^^^^
I agree

post #15 of 17 Old 04-09-2018, 05:08 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralVendetta View Post
^^^^^
I agree
It's safe to leave the tender plugged in if it has a built in overload circuit that turns off. Haven't had any issues with my Shorai or tender.

post #16 of 17 Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Tesserarius

^Ive not had any problems, either. And in the past, I've left mine on for several hours at a time.

But Shorai says to not leave it on the Tender for extended periods of time. So I changed my wicked ways, and follow their advice.

post #17 of 17 Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
How did it turn out for you OP? Bet your super happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode