Shad Top Case Rack - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Shad Top Case Rack

Looking at getting a top case rack to make a flat, soft bag platform for a 919.

Have seen the givi model which appears to mount real high and aft the tail.

Have also seen the Shad rack for their cases. It would appear on the shad I should be able to put on their rack, and just fab a plate to put on top of it to secure a bag or whatever to.

What i don't know is how strong is the Shad rack... can it take weight? how good are the welds, etc.

Anyone gotta feel for how well their rack is built compared to say, Givi?

Also... looking at the givi, are the plates that hold the mounting plate parallel to the surface of the passenger seat? or angled back?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Discen

The racks looks well built that's for sure. Easier to put on than the Givi
http://www.shad.es/descargas/shad131.pdf

post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

ya. i'm having multiple thoughts on this... Givi might be better if i ever intend to do side cases...but Givi doesn't look like it's the right angle if i were trying to build a soft luggage rack to put it on top. another plus on the Givi is if i ever just want to put their plate and luggage on... it's more common.
I've seen some shad comments that say the welds /quality are a bit on the cheap side. but... it looks like a perfect starting point for home made rack.
I opted away from the ventura mentioned in other threads as it's not quite how how i want a flat rack either.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Discen

I have the givi rack and it is made well! I have had about 25 lbs in the case and no problems.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Discen

I've had the Givi rack on my 919. It did rub a bit on the cowl near the exhaust mounting points. This bugged me a bit. It was a sturdy design for sure with that extra mount point. The Givi plate is angled so it will be level to the ground. It's not in the same angle as the seat. All racks will probably be like this since you want to be your top case level.

I now have a sw-motech rack. It's got a sleek design and you can attach whatever brand of case to it, provided you have the correct adapter. You can also attach side cases in a few seconds with their quick attach system. The lack of support other than the grab rail bolts for the sw-motech top case makes it weaker than the other brands.

The Shad looks like a compromise between the Givi and SW-Motech. You can't attach side cases to it however.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Discen

Not sure if it available still, but shad side case rack:

http://www.cycleluggage.com/shad_h0hr92sf.html

post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

wonder how common the rubbing from Givi stuff is? I'm looking at just getting their top case rack, as it looks like i could get a top case, and then use a soft bag on the seat...held down by a bungee net. question is... if i hook to the givi top case support arms, is it so close that the bungee hooks will be hitting the underside of the rear cowl

post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Discen

You can use the stock seat hooks if you want to attach a soft bag. The 2004+ have four hooks

post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

reason i'm avoiding that is that it's sort of a pain to pull the seat to pop the hooks. also, until i put some 3m film or something on the rear cowl, i think it would be real easy to knock the hooks down into the cowl and ding the paint. but thanks for the suggestion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode