Second Hand PC3 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Second Hand PC3

So I have the opportunity to grab a second power commander 3 USB. However I have no experience with any PC's at all. So I'm a little uncertain. I have read the installation instruction on the website and it looks pretty straight forward. The one I'm buying doesn't have the cd that comes with them new, or the mini USB, but I figure I can download the software, and a mini USB is cheap to buy. I haven't done any mods, but when I do a set of pipes I intend to add a PC, and maybe have it dyno'd. Besides I hear that even on a stock bike a PC makes a big difference. Around town I did find the throttle a little jerky. So my questions are:
1) Is buying a second hand power commander smart, or should I save and get a new one?
2) are there any vital components, leads etc that I'll need excluding the USB?
3) currently the map is for a set of after market cans, is it easy to change the map using the software on a computer?
Any other in put would be greatly appreciated. Clearly I'm a noob on this subject so all input is welcome!
Thanks WT!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate919 View Post
Besides I hear that even on a stock bike a PC makes a big difference. Around town I did find the throttle a little jerky.

Thanks WT!
I can confirm that part. I have a stone stock bike, in terms of pipes etc, and would not give up my PC iii for the world. I'm reminded of its value (in smoothing the throttle) every time I shift gear, and certainly every time I have to trickle along in traffic - which is all the time. Totally worth it, even if you never rev it past (a number I won't reveal here) and couldn't give a monkey's about pure peak hp numbers.

Lots of maps loose in WT-land, choose one, run it, change it etc. easiest thing in
the world.

You will need the PC software, which came to me on a disk, and you will need a laptop or netbook or something to run it on. Beyond that, couldn't be simpler, assuming you know your way around basic computing.

Over to you, blue.

post #3 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy

You will need the PC software, which came to me on a disk, and you will need a laptop or netbook or something to run it on. Beyond that, couldn't be simpler, assuming you know your way around basic computing.

Over to you, blue.
Sounds very tempting so far! I ride everyday in the city so it would be worth my while i think. Im pretty handy with computers. My question is but my laptop battery is rooted, and I don't have a power source near my bike, I live in an apartment building. So do I need to take my laptop to my bike, or can I take the pc to my laptop upstairs. I'm in the process of saving for a new laptop but I'm getting a Mac and I'm pretty sure the software isnt Mac compatible.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you're going to get the bike dyno-ed, you might as well pay for the service for them to tune it and get a custom map. They'll configure it optimal settings for your setup and riding conditions.

I don't see the problem with removing the Power Commander to load a different map considering it will come loaded with the previous owners map. It doesn't lose programming when it's disconnected from the bike

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Tirone

Hi, in short do it! At least you then have the flexibility of altering the map should you make further changes on top of the PC optimising your bike from the get go.
The PC does , if I remember correctly, need power to upload maps. Use a 9v battery with the lead supplied as your power source then fit the PC. My suggestion, hope it helps.
Mark

post #6 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1
If you're going to get the bike dyno-ed, you might as well pay for the service for them to tune it and get a custom map. They'll configure it optimal settings for your setup and riding conditions.

I don't see the problem with removing the Power Commander to load a different map considering it will come loaded with the previous owners map. It doesn't lose programming when it's disconnected from the bike
Yeah that's what I was planning on doing. A tune and custom map down the track. But I was holding off till I got my pipes. So my thinking was I can get this pc and load a map for a stock bike, then down the track get it tuned and a custom map. Is that how it works, or am I missing something? Thanks for input!

post #7 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

you could always use it with stock pipes as 919 set up to run lean with OEM setup hence stink. How much are you getting it for (if you don't mind)?

post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
you could always use it with stock pipes as 919 set up to run lean with OEM setup hence stink. How much are you getting it for (if you don't mind)?
The guy wants $90. So I figure it's not a lot, and it cant harm can it?? As you can see I have no idea about EFI adjustments. Also I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't havent any stink. I can ride all day and me, nor my pillion, smell at all!!

post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
The guy wants $90. So I figure it's not a lot, and it cant harm can it?? As you can see I have no idea about EFI adjustments. Also I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't havent any stink. I can ride all day and me, nor my pillion, smell at all!!
you have it, smell your jackets after the ride. $90 -buy it NOW if it's in working condition.

post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Not to mention $90 in Australia, where everything motorcycle-wise is bloated in price

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:

you have it, smell your jackets after the ride. $90 -buy it NOW if it's in working condition.
I'm so sure neither of us smell at all, and I have a textile jacket which I thought would trap the smell. I ride to uni and on cold days and wear my jacket all day and it doesn't smell at all. Confused! $90 isn't much but im a poor student lol!

post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Not to mention $90 in Australia, where everything motorcycle-wise is bloated in price
Yeah tell me about! Its a joke!!!

post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You have one of those sought-after 919s with no stink. I on the other hand have the exact opposite and I shower daily, sometimes 2x a day

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #14 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I'm so sure neither of us smell at all, and I have a textile jacket which I thought would trap the smell. I ride to uni and on cold days and wear my jacket all day and it doesn't smell at all. Confused! $90 isn't much but im a poor student lol!
hear you on being a student part, been there myself. If you want get it, you should refer it to some aussies here, on WT

post #15 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
You have one of those sought-after 919s with no stink. I on the other hand have the exact opposite and I shower daily, sometimes 2x a day
Before I bought it I was thinking I would have to do the header conversion to fix it, because it would really bother me. But I can ride in the city, so no draft to blow it away, then sit in lectures all day with my jacket and jeans on and I don't smell a thing, and no one has said anything, maybe they are just polite!!

post #16 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:

hear you on being a student part, been there myself. If you want get it, you should refer it to some aussies here, on WT
Yeah for sure, if I don't get it I'll pass it to someone here definitely!

post #17 of 19 Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Ginger-prick

I'm in the market for a second hand pciii if anyone reading this happens across one...

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Bump, any more input to be had? ☺

post #19 of 19 Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you want to buy new, I believe I read on one of the threads that LordDuckHunter ships down under. He offers them to members at a very competitive price and if you were to compare to local prices (from what I gather everything is ridiculous there), you'd still be ahead.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode