Sargent seat for 919? OMG, yes! - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stamperman

post #1 of 1 Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Boilermaker in B-town

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Thumbs up Sargent seat for 919? OMG, yes!

Hey all. Been awhile since I've posted up.

A little backstory: I've ridden Japanese for 48 years. Up until my 2007 919 which I bought new, I've been comfortable with the ergos of all my rides. I'm now 165lb at 5'8" and several years into retirement. I'm afraid I've lost some of the junk in my trunk LOL. I did my iron butt riding in my 30's on a Honda V65 Sabre.

Fast forward to my 919 which I've used for commuting and pleasure, and now that I'm retired solely for pleasure. Anything much over an hour leaves me suffering on this bike. I've tried handlebar risers up and back 1/1 inch, and, an Air Hawk seat cushion. Both approaches helped a bit....but not enough.

I finally bit the bullet and sent my seat off to Sargent for their 919 foam modification upgrade. I waited, well, years because of the expense: $340, not including shipping to Sargent which cost $52 even though I made my own efficiently sized box. The shipping expense back to me was included in the $340. Turn around time there and back was 2.5 weeks.

I received my seat back today. The craftsmanship is awesome. Material and stitching is a perfect match. My seat was well packed and arrived home in as new condition.

Even though it has been threatening rain here in beautiful southern Indiana, of course, I had to try this thing out. The feel of the seat is completely changed. The oem seat for me places all my weight on my...cojones and tailbone. The Sargent modified seat removes the testicular squeeze against the gas tank, and places pressure points on my butt/back of my thighs (not the tailbone). The seat feels just a tad wider on the inside of my thighs. NOT uncomfortable, just different. Seating position with feet down may be nominally higher. Not a problem for me, and I'm not exactly NBA material. I squeezed in an hour long ride despite the weather. The feel reminded me of my gone but not forgotten V65, a bike I rode comfortably for 65,000 miles.

I know an hour long ride is not definitive, but even for that distance the improvement is huge.

My advice? If you've been thinking about a comfort upgrade for your Hornet, I say pull the trigger!
badmoon692008 likes this.

"First You Fly, Then You Die!"--Los Lobos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode