REV’IT! “Opera” Jacket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

REV’IT! “Opera” Jacket

I was looking to see if my local MC place had their on line store open yet and saw this article and figured I'd share. I'd like to know what you guys think of it. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. I wan't to walk over there tomorrow and check it out. They say its a union garage "exclusive". Tre chic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Interesting, a decent looking option if you're going out on the town.

post #3 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Tirone

I could wear that to work with a shirt & tie

post #4 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

That's for hipsters.... does it come in Day-Glo???

That's not bad looking, definitely if you're going out into town or taking a date out kinda wear. The 919 (or something with a classic design touch) can pull that off, not sure if you were on a SS or similar.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Looks pretty good in the pic, but how's it gonna look when you show somewhere nice with bugs splattered all over it.

post #6 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow919 View Post
Looks pretty good in the pic, but how's it gonna look when you show somewhere nice with bugs splattered all over it.
haha yeah this^^^

but I actually like that a lot. You need a bike with more "classic" style to it to pull it off properly though....tre chic indeed

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #7 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

They're closed on Mondays. Also it just started snowing

post #8 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
02 919

Love it

post #9 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I'm liking this jacket and I think I'll head down to check it out this week also. NYC is generally hostile towards motorcyclists because the city is infested with squids. I carry a spare jacket with me when I ride into work because I work in the corporate world where perception matters and walking into work with loud as hell power ranger riding gear would probably be frowned upon.

Andrew hit this one on the head though. This is jacket is perfect for the urbanite, Starbucks sipping, box framed emo glass wearing hipster who just so happens to ride a Vespa / vintage motorcycle. This is not a jacket for a long haul. The outer shell is made from cotton / wool so forget about riding in the rain or low temps at speed. This is for commuting within a city at city speeds.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #10 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
The Cripple

I agree with sckill" s assessment. Too bad corporate frowns on entering with motorcycle gear. It likely won't be much different when I enter said world but maybe they'll think twice after seeing low temps or that its pouring outside. If anything, I wonder if people respond negatively not only because of their own negative experiences with other riders, but also that seeing a rider in poor weather conditions screams that they have no balls and they don,t like that lol.

End result, jacket looks cool but isn't really practical for a dedicated rider. I'll keep my actual gear and go for shock value when I take the gear off to reveal shirt and tie lol.

post #11 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Go to Motorcycle Helmets | Motorcycle Jackets | Motorcycle Clothing and look at buying a trialmaster jacket. Classic style, won't look bad with business attire, and several of the selections of armor built in.

You could choose either waxed cotton or Cordura nylon, your choice.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

^^^ that's what Steve McQueen use to wear, so how can you go wrong?

"The Shadow"
post #13 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Princeps Prior

That's cool. You got a picture of the men's version? Lol. If your going to work or out, it looks cool. Not for me.

post #14 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I have been using Rev'it jackets and pants (rain gear) for about 4 years, whilst commuting rain or shine. I have had several exchanges. The jackets start leaking at the shoulder seams, also the front tends to leak around your belly area. The pants: I have just exchanged and upgraded (paid money towards) one of the more expensive Rev'it pants, as I was sick and tired of arriving at my destination looking like I had pissed myself.

Well, the very first time I hit the rain on a relatively short journey (15km's), I arrived at my destination looking like I had pissed myself, yet again.

I have given up. I will now spend money on top gear (Dainese or Spidi) and resign myself to the fact that if you don't want to arrive at work or wherever looking like you have pissed yourself, you are going to have to pay top dollar.

post #15 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Go to Motorcycle Helmets | Motorcycle Jackets | Motorcycle Clothing and look at buying a trialmaster jacket. Classic style, won't look bad with business attire, and several of the selections of armor built in.

You could choose either waxed cotton or Cordura nylon, your choice.
NOT FOR $1,195!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
^^^ that's what Steve McQueen use to wear, so how can you go wrong?
Yep Mr. McQueen was legit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McQueenracelicence.jpg (185.6 KB, 23 views)

post #16 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Hastatus Prior

^^^^ $1195!!

dude, for reals. That's completely insane. I'd be embarrassed for people to know I spent that on a jacket.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #17 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

$1200 is more than half of what I paid for my 02 919!

post #18 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
^^^^ $1195!!

dude, for reals. That's completely insane. I'd be embarrassed for people to know I spent that on a jacket.
People who spend that kind of cash on a jacket probably have a butler to wear it:

"Jeeves, it looks nice out today. Park the Bentley and take the motorbike out for a ride. And wear that nice jacket I bought. When you return make some tea and tell me how nice the riding was so I can brag about it at the club."

"Keep on 9-in"

post #19 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

I went over to check out the jacket today and ended up buying it. The outer shell is actually a synthetic blend that feels like it'll provide some abrasion resistance. It's not a pure wool / cotton peacoat outer shell like I originally thought. With the full sleeve liner installed, the jacket feels pretty warm and both the jacket / liner zip all the way up the neck.

There are Knox armor pads in the shoulders and elbows. I also purchased a separate back protector to go along with the jacket. Even with the armor installed, the jacket fits well and looks like a modern long coat.

Overall I'd say it's a good riding jacket for getting around in the city without drawing too much attention to yourself after you get off the bike. I'll get a chance to test out the wind and cold weather protection on Thursday and Friday when temps will be in the low 30s and 40s during my commute. I'm going to enjoy the convenience of having both riding protection and style in one package. I wouldn't bother with this jacket though if you love the attention off the bike, do only "serious" riding, have long distance commutes, or operate in a less pretentious atmosphere.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #20 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Is this jacket exclusive for that one shop or is that a chain where you can purchase online? Sounds like a solid riding 'coat'.

What size did you get Sckill? We're about the same height

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #21 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I went over to check out the jacket today and ended up buying it. The outer shell is actually a synthetic blend that feels like it'll provide some abrasion resistance. It's not a pure wool / cotton peacoat outer shell like I originally thought. With the full sleeve liner installed, the jacket feels pretty warm and both the jacket / liner zip all the way up the neck.

There are Knox armor pads in the shoulders and elbows. I also purchased a separate back protector to go along with the jacket. Even with the armor installed, the jacket fits well and looks like a modern long coat.

Overall I'd say it's a good riding jacket for getting around in the city without drawing too much attention to yourself after you get off the bike. I'll get a chance to test out the wind and cold weather protection on Thursday and Friday when temps will be in the low 30s and 40s during my commute. I'm going to enjoy the convenience of having both riding protection and style in one package. I wouldn't bother with this jacket though if you love the attention off the bike, do only "serious" riding, have long distance commutes, or operate in a less pretentious atmosphere.

What no modeling pics!!! Dude you should have called me (if you still have my number) I'm a 5 min walk away. We could have gotten a drink or coffee or something. I'm heading over tomorrow to check it out.

post #22 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Yeah, ReV'it! is doing some pretty innovative shit. Somebody's gotta do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
. . . . . if you don't want to arrive at work or wherever looking like you have pissed yourself, you are going to have to pay top dollar.
Genuine GORE-TEX good - proprietary Hydratex, not so much. I couldn't be happier with my new ReV'it! Defender - big improvement over their earlier stuff and yes, the Gore-Tex liner does not leak.
post #23 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Yeah, ReV'it! is doing some pretty innovative shit. Somebody's gotta do it.

Genuine GORE-TEX good - proprietary Hydratex, not so much. I couldn't be happier with my new ReV'it! Defender - big improvement over their earlier stuff and yes, the Gore-Tex liner does not leak.
Their stuff was good when it was made in I think Taiwan or Vietnam or somewhere (can't quite recall exactly), but it wasn't China. Since they have switched over to making it in China....

If it works for you in what I assume is a much drier Texas than a wet Auckland, then good.
I live in Auckland, from what I understand it is similar to Seattle and Vancouver, it has very high rainfall. I have exchanged about 4 to 5 sets (suits - pants and jacket) of the middle of the range stuff. Then upgraded to the top end of their range (supposed to be 100% suitable for rainy conditions). The very first time on a 15 km commute in the rain the very fancy looking and expensive pants leaked at the crotch area, significantly.

I have given up.

post #24 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Their stuff was good when it was made in I think Taiwan or Vietnam or somewhere (can't quite recall exactly), but it wasn't China. Since they have switched over to making it in China....

If it works for you in what I assume is a much drier Texas than a wet Auckland, then good.
I live in Auckland, from what I understand it is similar to Seattle and Vancouver, it has very high rainfall.
My firstgear jacket was made in Vietnam. Holds up great to the northwet weather with zero problems. By far the best winter jacket I've owned so far to date.

post #25 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Hastatus Posterior

I'm trying to think where Rev'it was first made, Vietnam definitely rings a bell.

post #26 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I assume is a much drier Texas than a wet Auckland

Alright buddy, we all know you had a bad experience. Now it's time to move on. Replacing the same inferior material over and over with the same inferior material and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I'm sure their proprietary Hydratex liner material is fine for most areas but couldn't handle your climate nor a coastal Texas torrential deluge which is why ReV'it!, Motorrad, Klim, Tiez, Dianase and several other quality gear makers contracted with Gore-Tex to offer better a waterproofing option. I had a first gen Olympia AST jacket that leaked badly around the vent zips after the first year. I got over it. I understand they corrected the problems in their current iteration and I'm not going to assume and post to the world that all Olympia gear is bad for all eternity.

I own a small retail business and we strive to keep our customers happy but occasionally we make a mistake. We do our best to fix it and most people are understanding but once in a while we get somebody going on a mission to decimate our reputation. Sad.

So give us all a break, ok?
post #27 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Is this jacket exclusive for that one shop or is that a chain where you can purchase online? Sounds like a solid riding 'coat'.

What size did you get Sckill? We're about the same height
I went with a size M. I'm 5'7" with a 40" chest. The large was too big and too loose, but the M fits pretty snug with the full sleeve liner installed. Adding in the back protector didn't seem to make a difference.

This is a small local shop only and they don't have an online shop set up yet. There's a lot of different style Rev'it gear though and the owners are friendly. They cater towards city motorcyclists (read: hipsters on wheels). They also run a bike shop next door and had a ton of vintage ducatis, moto guzzis, and other euro bikes under repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
What no modeling pics!!! Dude you should have called me (if you still have my number) I'm a 5 min walk away. We could have gotten a drink or coffee or something. I'm heading over tomorrow to check it out.
Sorry. I only had my work mobile at the time so I didn't have your number. I got there around 5:45 and hoped to run into you, but I guess next time.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #28 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
^^^^ $1195!!

Dang! Its been a year or so since I looked at their pricing... according to other sites & reviews, Belstaff jackets (the non-armored ones) have become quite the fashion item, hence the new extra-high prices!

"The Shadow"
post #29 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Sorry. I only had my work mobile at the time so I didn't have your number. I got there around 5:45 and hoped to run into you, but I guess next time.
Oh I see so I meant nothing to you!!! Just a cheap one nightstand!!!! You insensitive bastard!!! Just kidding bro I'll text you my number later.

post #30 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
Oh I see so I meant nothing to you!!! Just a cheap one nightstand!!!! You insensitive bastard!!!
Cry me a river. Build a bridge. GET OVER IT!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #31 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:

Alright buddy, we all know you had a bad experience. Now it's time to move on. Replacing the same inferior material over and over with the same inferior material and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I'm sure their proprietary Hydratex liner material is fine for most areas but couldn't handle your climate nor a coastal Texas torrential deluge which is why ReV'it!, Motorrad, Klim, Tiez, Dianase and several other quality gear makers contracted with Gore-Tex to offer better a waterproofing option. I had a first gen Olympia AST jacket that leaked badly around the vent zips after the first year. I got over it. I understand they corrected the problems in their current iteration and I'm not going to assume and post to the world that all Olympia gear is bad for all eternity.

I own a small retail business and we strive to keep our customers happy but occasionally we make a mistake. We do our best to fix it and most people are understanding but once in a while we get somebody going on a mission to decimate our reputation. Sad.

So give us all a break, ok?
Firstly, I said "assume" with regards to your weather. Fair enough, it gets very wet were you live. I don't have weather tabs on every single place on the globe. There are general assumptions made in order to save time with regards to researching world weather.

Secondly, that particular retailer, I frequent or used to frequent pretty regularly. HE asked me how the suit was going when I went in for something else. I told him, he said that was no good and exchanged it for me and wanted me to keep him in the loop on how the new set was going. According to him and the agent for Rev'It, it should be 100% suitable for our weather.
So effectively I didn't go running back to him, he approached me for feedback and acted on it.

Following from that, because he asked me for continuous feedback, that is why HE kept on replacing the gear. I called it quits after about the 5th set as this situation was getting ridiculous. This was around the time that Rev'It switched production to China and he assumed that he had given me faulty suits. In fact all the suits that I had given back were tested and found to fail.

I offered to invest even more money in the same brand, going for their top of the line stuff or at least a step or two above mid-range. When I am paying several hundred dollars for a cordura all weather riding pants, I damn well expect it to keep me dry, especially on a piddly little 15km trip, such as on that particular occasion. Its a bad look walking around in public looking like you pissed yourself. Sorry I have this expectation.

Inferring that I am on a mission is laughable. I didn't start a thread and called it "Shitty Rev'it Gear" did I? I just simply gave an account of my thorough (I would have thought) experience with Rev'It wet weather gear in an existing thread where this brand is being discussed.
Neither did I start a thread called "retailers are the scum of the earth". I'm not attacking you, I'm not attacking retailers, in fact the retailer that sold me the gear is excellent, I buy a lot of my gear there. We are talking about a brand that don't quite deliver the goods.

The last time I looked this was a public forum inviting opinion and experiences, good or bad. This isn't one of the many motorcycle magazines where you will never find an unfavorable review because the contributors are to scared to piss of the manufacturers for obvious reasons.

post #32 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

I'm really glad you were able to get all that off your chest. Now, if we can turn down the flames a bit, I have some questions - because I really am interested and ReVit's Australian product line has been different from what is available in the US.

The older jacket and pant offerings, Off-Track, Dakar, Cayenne, etc. all employed a separate removable proprietary Hydratex rain liner. The outer shell was not designed to be waterproof. Did all the Revit gear you tried use this liner material?

Did any of the Revit gear you tried use a genuine Gore-Tex brand liner or was the outer shell laminated with Gore-Tex Pro Shell?

Did you experience any other failures other than liner leakage?

Were there any workmanship issues such as unraveling of the stitching?
post #33 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Tirone

awesome jacket, pricey and handsome!!

post #34 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
I'm really glad you were able to get all that off your chest. Now, if we can turn down the flames a bit, I have some questions - because I really am interested and ReVit's Australian product line has been different from what is available in the US.

The older jacket and pant offerings, Off-Track, Dakar, Cayenne, etc. all employed a separate removable proprietary Hydratex rain liner. The outer shell was not designed to be waterproof. Did all the Revit gear you tried use this liner material?

Did any of the Revit gear you tried use a genuine Gore-Tex brand liner or was the outer shell laminated with Gore-Tex Pro Shell?

Did you experience any other failures other than liner leakage?

Were there any workmanship issues such as unraveling of the stitching?
Fair enough, glad to bury the hatchet.

I only went buy what was sold to me in more ways than one, if you understand what I mean. I am no expert on waterproof linings, gore-tex or hydratex. Auckland is a very wet place, for most part of the year. The retailer knew my requirements.

The pants did not have a removable liner, my understanding from what I was told and could see was that there was an outer cordura layer with knee pads etc., then the waterproof liner, then the un-removable inner liner (the one you would see if you look down the inside of the pants. As you said, the outer shell is not waterproof, but from what I was told there was/is a separate waterproof liner sandwiched between the outer and inner layers. So 3 layers in total. The label in the pants says Hydratex.

The jacket had 4 layers, 3 layers similar to the pants and a 4th, inner, removable thermal liner for use in winter (heat). I can't see any labels or tags saying hydratex or gore-tex.

Other defects, as you asked: The pants pocket liners broke after not much use, the stitching came apart from what I could feel (basically a hole in your pocket scenario ).
The latest pants I got, I replaced the belt that came with that with one I bought from a military surplus store. The original belt was so inadequate, it was laughable (it was way to flimsy).

The jackets held up pretty good, apart from the stitching on most velcro pads came loose pretty quick. I found the velcro straps that seal off the arms at the wrists also inadequate (kept on flying loose).

post #35 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sorry guys for all the thread hi-jacking but I wanted to get to the bottom of this.

Farab, it sounds like the dealer should have known that all the upgrades he talked you into employed the same Hydratex liner that was inadequate for your conditions. Many riders avoid riding in sustained downpours - you and I don't. I would have recommended something like a BMW Motorrad Rallye which uses a genuine Gore-Tex liner.

I meant to ask what time period all this took place but I can guess. I think Revit had some significant production / quality issues around 2008 / 2009 which in my experience have been rectified. I bought 2 pair of their boots, the Nemo in 2005 and the Fusion in 2006 - both of which leaked early on and literally came apart at the seams. I'm sure the current Apache boot is a dramatic improvement but it's still not Gore-Tex lined and the same money as the Sidi On Road. Guess what I bought. In 2007 I bought the 1st generation Dakar pants and loved them right away. They're tough as nails. I still wear them almost every day 3 seasons per year. The seams, velcro & zippers all work perfectly. The Hydratex liner did seep a little water in the seat area. Revit readily sent me a new liner of the same type. Oh well, I learned to spray it down with silicone camp waterproofing every now and then and it's fine. I do remember reading in another forum that the model year or two later Dakar pants had seam problems. In 2010 I caught a closeout deal on their Navigator Navigator jacket and let me tell you the quality and workmanship was impeccable. Superior materials and tailoring and double stitching in all the stress points and even Superfabric ceramic abrasion protection on the elbows.

It was the perfect jacket for me, except that a six hour deluge proved too much for the Hydratex liner. I decided to upgrade to the Defender with its lifetime guaranteed Gore-Tex liner and couldn't be happier. This jacket has more features and the new rip-stop Cordura too.

Rev'it Defender GTX Jacket Review - webBikeWorld

So it sounds to me like (1) your dealer should have moved you to another brand with a better liner and (2) you just caught Revit at a bad time in their development but trust me, their quality has improved by leaps and bounds since then.
post #36 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread:

For that whole urban style thing, I noticed another Revit jacket, The Melville that looks cool and is even made with retro waxed cotton.
REV'IT! Melville Jacket - RevZilla

http://youtu.be/xXxRqLAD8OM
post #37 of 47 Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Sorry guys for all the thread hi-jacking but I wanted to get to the bottom of this.

Farab, it sounds like the dealer should have known that all the upgrades he talked you into employed the same Hydratex liner that was inadequate for your conditions. Many riders avoid riding in sustained downpours - you and I don't. I would have recommended something like a BMW Motorrad Rallye which uses a genuine Gore-Tex liner.

I meant to ask what time period all this took place but I can guess. I think Revit had some significant production / quality issues around 2008 / 2009 which in my experience have been rectified.
Apologies from me as well, hopefully others can take something from this, regardless.

Ken, you have hit the nail on the head. The dealer knows me and my riding requirements. They (retailer and local agent) seemed insistent that what they were selling me was suitable for use in our climate here as well as what I needed it for. Anyway, regardless, your post was informative about Gore-tex vs Hydratex. I will certainly keep that in mind when buying my next set.

And yes, I experienced the bulk of my problems during the 2008-2010 period. I suspect that is when they changed production from Vietnam(?) to China.

post #38 of 47 Old 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Tirone

And now for some shameless self-promotion

Howdy - Chris here from Union Garage. Sckill mentioned this thread and I thought I'd chime in.

@Detale - thanks for starting it! I don't know if you've stopped by or tried stopping by yet, but we're running on super reduced winter hours. BUT - I am also 5 minutes from the shop and we've been opening up by appt whenever we can. Happy to do so. Will be here 11-5 tomorrow/Saturday, and we're going to pick up a Thur-Sun schedule soon here. (closed Mon/Tues/Weds)

"Tre Chic" Ha - Indeed! Quick explanation - the "exclusive" bit comes from the fact REV'iT! only brought in a smattering of their so-called urban line. The Opera was not slated to be sold in the U.S. but we really wanted to bring it in so we put in a big order to make it happen. We also brought in another jacket from outside the line (another "exclusive") called the Monti. It looks a bit odd with the extra padded liner collar in this photo but packs in nicely, or lost the liner altogether.

I look at it like this: The Opera is what Don Draper would wear. The Monti is a little less "dressy" but still gets away with motorcycle functionality without looking like it. It's just a solid anonymous black jacket. Both have CE Level 1 armor and can take a back protector. They also both have a "Hydratex LITE" breathable/waterproof membrane. So they're nominally waterproof, but given these are part of the urban line, and that they cost a fraction of a gore-tex jacket, they're not monsoon proof. But they both should keep you warm and dry if you catch some rain on your commute.

BTW, @Andrewebay1 -- Hipsters? no way! Hipster ground-zero is a few miles north in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The opera is more banker than hipster. I prefer to think of it more as "baller" though. But definitely great for taking a date out. Note the high hand warmer pockets that double as passenger pockets

For the record, this is what a hipster "motorcycle" jacket looks like ("Religion" tissue-paper leather fitted jacket - with beard, of course):

re: $1200 Belstaff jackets -- couldn't agree more. That's a travesty. Gorgeous jackets but $1200 for something with no abrasion resistance is a tough sell.

Read more on the subject here: UnionGarageNYC.com/blog/saying-goodbye-to-belstaff

Update on our screed against Belstaff: they went and updated their line for 2013 and we have to eat a little humble pie. They've added waterproofing and d3o armor. Which is great. They're still $1200. Boo.

The Melville (or women's Gracia version) have been great sellers for us and only cost $300. (Opera costs $375; Monti is $360)

Also for we carry a lot more than just the urban line. We've got REV'IT!'s full-on Gore-Tex Defender jacket and pants (bombproof around-the-world gear already endorsed in this thread), (real) leather jackets from Schott and Lost Worlds, boots from Sidi, REVIT, Stylmartin and TCX, and way too many gloves for a store this size. The full website store should be up soon. We've been limping along on a landing page and temporary blog. And Facebook.

@Sckill thanks again for pickup up the jacket. let me know how it works out and I'll let you know about the spring kick-off event we really need to get around to planning. Anyone else in the area interested shoot a PM or email and we'll get you on the mailing list.

Cheers

Chris Lesser
Union Garage
103 Union Street
Brooklyn NY 11231
(718) 594-7093
[email protected]
Union Garage NYC

BLOG: Union Garage NYC
www.Facebook.com/UnionGarageNYC
www.Twitter.com/UnionGarageNYC
@uniongaragenyc on Instagram

post #39 of 47 Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Thanks for posting Chris. I'm really interested in the spring event I sent you an email to be added to the mailing list and will really try to stop in tomorrow and check out the jacket and the store.

post #40 of 47 Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Yo no sé nada

Here I am rocking this $40 full rainsuit from walmart that hasn't let me down yet... But I have only had it for 8 months...
Onyx Force Field Tri-Laminate Rainsuit, Blue: Hunting : Walmart.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode