Request Advice: Rhino bar ends v. Motovation bar ends - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Request Advice: Rhino bar ends v. Motovation bar ends

Hey Riders,

I wanted your advice on the better bar end. I have a Honda 919 (2007), which gets buzzy at the higher RPMs. I've heard that weighted bar ends can help reduce the vibrations. The two names I've heard most often are Rhino brand and Motovation brand.

Anyone ever tried either, to see if they are about the same, or different? The Rhinos are $59.99 for a set of two. The Motovations are $179.98 for two. Obviously a big difference. Comments comparing both (or either) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Rhino:
Rhino Motorcycle Products

Motovation:
Honda Bar End Weights / Sliders - Most Hondas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I think most people would agree that it is better to replace the OEM bars first. They seem to make most of the buzz.

Spoiler:

post #3 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 11:39 AM
McTavish

The factory bars have a rubber mounted dampener plus the external bar ends. Rather serious effort to damp things out right from the factory. Steel being a very "bright" material is part of it. Bright meaning it transmits vibration very well. I doubt that different bar ends will help you with the stock bars. Try aluminum bars with bar ends.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

It looks like the Motovation pieces are designed to work with the factory inserts, they appear to have the funny "stepped" inner end on them.
I like the Rhino axle slider units, I wonder which ones could be adapted for the 9er

Dan
post #5 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Throttlemeister throttle lock and bar end, the heavy version, all the way.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

If you are running stock bars with the stock bar weights I doubt there is any advantage in changing them - you'd be better off putting on some new grips with thicker rubber as the stock ones are silly thin.

I found the stock bars offered very good vibe dampening - well in the two days they stayed on my bike! worlds weirdest bend IMO!

Alloy bars will alter the vibe but without bar end weights it will still be there. You are on the right track looking at stainless steel weighted bars - don't be fooled by any of the pretty coloured alloy ones - they offer nothing in vibe reduction due to their light weight.

I've got alloy ultra lows, bar end mirrors and I made some stainless steel bar end weights from a piece of 30mm round solid - machined to 35mm long, bored for the bolt and rubber retainer like other end weights, I find the bars are vibration free.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Princeps Prior

Renthal ultra lows plus CRG mirrors/weights...... Feels great ......vibration & bend.

But then again....just came off a ktm supermoto....anything feels smoother than a single at 80.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Don't waste your money. A set of Renthal bars is a better way to go than either of those alternatives. I put on a Renthal bar with Rizoma grips and endcaps and feel nothing. No buzz. There are no weights and no internal dampeners. Just the naked bar and the alloy Rizoma grips and caps.

DennisKirk.com - Search Results

$64 for silver gray or gold

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Don't waste your money. A set of Renthal bars is a better way to go than either of those alternatives. I put on a Renthal bar with Rizoma grips and endcaps and feel nothing. No buzz. There are no weights and no internal dampeners. Just the naked bar and the alloy Rizoma grips and caps.

DennisKirk.com - Search Results

$64 for silver gray or gold
Ditto that, although I got the Rizoma bar with risers and ends. Now, how about that left footpeg?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 11 Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Now, how about that left footpeg?

Bawahahahahaha

yep - that is the only vibe I get too! I think it is drive train/output related and there to stay - if it was a British or European bike it would be applauded and called 'character'.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2010, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you everyone for your input. Will look into new bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode