Replace my race fairings for 06 ZX6R... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Replace my race fairings for 06 ZX6R...

I bought a race ready 06 ZX6R about a year ago. The fairings looked brand new when I bought it, but after half a season of track/race riding, the paint is falling off in big chips, and several of the holes to bolt it on have gotten too large or have broken. Three options:

1) Get them fixed: There is a local paint and car repair guy here (very small town so I don't know) who will fix them and repaint them for $400.
2) Buy new ones: Where can I get a reliable set and for not too much $$$
3) Fix them myself: Lots of work and I don't really know what I'm doing (never done this before).

Which is my best option? I'm not going to show this bike at a show, so it doesn't have to be a stunning job, but I don't want it to look like crap either.

Guy

"Those who ride without helmets don't need them"

2007 Honda 919: commuter.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R: track/race bike.
1982 Yamaha XJ550: ex-commuter, now rusting bike.
1966 Honda C110 (50cc): my first bike! I loved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Tesserarius

It all depends if you want to spend the money on fixing them. 400 for repair and paint doesn't sound that bad especially if he's the only game in town. I did a quick google search and found this set for $479 with free shipping. For the extra $80 I'd go new unless you want a custom paint from your guy.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
The Cripple

+1 to what Detale said.

However... If you're going to make a habit of tracking the bike, now is the perfect time to learn how to at least do basic patchwork on the fairings. Tracking is a very expensive hobby, cut down on your expenses wherever you can!

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the info. I've been looking around on the internet myself, and I guess I should have specified that they are to be used for actual racing, not just track days, so I have to have the approved containment belly pan. Also, I noticed that there is a fair difference in weight between the ABS ones and fiberglass ones. My existing ones are fiberglass, and I'd like to stick with that since it has the weight advantage.
After looking around for a little bit, it looks like for those kinds of fairings it's around $650.

Guy

post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

What about vinyl wrap? May be a cheaper option if the surface can be smoothed out.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
The Cripple

Thanks for mentioning that its fiberglass. That makes the local deal all that much sweeter. You can also have him reinforce the areas that broke for bolts which would make it last longer.

Fiberglass isn't too bad to fix up on your own though. Its handy to learn and you can save some expense yourself by doing some of the prep work before having the local guy finish it up and paint it.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1 to what Detale said.

However... If you're going to make a habit of tracking the bike, now is the perfect time to learn how to at least do basic patchwork on the fairings. Tracking is a very expensive hobby, cut down on your expenses wherever you can!

I hear you! I've discovered how expensive this hobby is! Just in tires alone it's been taking a dip in my savings quite rapidly. Guys at the track were actually surprised that I STILL had a savings account

I have done some patch work already on it (low sided once), but this is a little bit more major, as I'd have to take the whole paint job off, re-prime it and repaint it. Everyone tells me that it is a big and nasty job.
Also, I'd have to find reliable information on how to do it right, because I wouldn't want to have to do it again next year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode