Renthal UL's vs Fat Bar - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Renthal UL's vs Fat Bar

Hi guys,
Like many of you I am keen to swap the stock bars for something more friendly on the wrists, SLIGHTLY more aggressive and better looking. I have narrowed it down to the Renthal Ultra lows, Renthal Fat Bar and Rizoma conical. I have read a lot of the UL threads on here and they seem to be what I'm after, ie to not feel like I'm riding a supersport and be comfy on long trips. However I dig the look I the wider center on the Fat and conicals, I know I will have to get an adapter to fit it too. I have almost ruled out the Rizomas because getting them in Aust is like trying to get a decent selection of aftermarket slip ons, HARD and Expensive!! And the postage to here from over seas is a killer! So my question is, in my position which of these three bars should I opt for? In terms of appearance, long riding comfort and ease of installation.
Thanks in advance guys!!
Ps regardless of the style I'll be going with black

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Well, I'm not helping much, but I have the Rizoma Conicals with adapters, and recently put on some Spy Q bar end mirrors and have reduced vibration by 90% (even better now with the bar end mirrors). The position is very comfortable, I've done 550 miles days and have had not discomfort in my hands/wrists, other than the fatigue of the throttle (didn't have a cramp buster).

I have no input on the Renthals or other bars, though.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 23 Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Mmmm that really is a sexy set up!!! Were there any problems with any of the cable lengths?

post #4 of 23 Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Pilus Posterior

I love the look of a fat-bar but my UL's are so spot on I'm loathe to change just for looks ........................ you know I'll do it!

post #5 of 23 Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate919 View Post
Mmmm that really is a sexy set up!!! Were there any problems with any of the cable lengths?
No problem so far. I do have aftermarket G & J Stainless lines, but I didn't order them any longer length than their stock offering.

Here are some pics. The last one of course is an older one before I powdercoated my upper triple, swapped levers for Pazzo shorties, and changed mirrors:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18 22.40.03 (Small).jpg (87.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18 22.40.12.jpg (168.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18 22.40.37.jpg (171.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-18 22.40.46.jpg (186.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2_Rizoma bars with risers.jpg (320.0 KB, 69 views)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I had both the Renthal UL and Renthal MX Fatbar on my bike. Overall there wasn't a huge difference in feel, but there are quite a few different bends of Fatbars to try. The main issue I noted with the Fatbar (at least the bend I had) is that it's wider in the middle and I like to cut my bars down - usually 3/4" on each side - and there wasn't enough room on the Fatbar to do this and make the controls fit and still feel the way I wanted it to feel. I finally gave up and removed the bar and clamps altogether and went with adjustable clip-ons. Making the bars narrower may not be an issue for you.
If I had to do it again I would go with the UL - It's a great feeling bar.
I don't have any experience with the Rizoma conical but I've heard it's similar to the UL and those that have the Conical seem to really like it.

post #7 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'll research down under shipping cost if you like.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #8 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Tirone

Just did my ultra lows, and while there wasn't a huge difference, there's lots of comfort, they're a bit wider and they look great

1984 Honda V4 Interceptor 750 (sold)
2003 Honda 919
2005 Honda CRF450r
post #9 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya kno all this talk of the UL's i might have to spend some money and do it.

How do they compare to the stock bars, in terms of height etc. I dont see how running lower bars would be EASIER on your wrists. and really... do they reduce vibration?

post #10 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

How do they compare to the stock bars, in terms of height etc. I dont see how running lower bars would be EASIER on your wrists. and really... do they reduce vibration?
the real issue for most people is the fact that there is too much pullback for the width/bend of the bars. this is what creates the "bent wrist syndrome" that makes the bars uncomfortable for a lot of people.

post #11 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Cornicen

Quote:

You know that if you buy UL's thats like what $60 bucks. That means that you could put roughly 15 gallons of gas in your bike and for at least 500 miles aggressive riding. Are you sure you want UL's?

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #12 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
You know that if you buy UL's thats like what $60 bucks. That means that you could put roughly 15 gallons of gas in your bike and for at least 500 miles aggressive riding. Are you sure you want UL's?
you sayin im a cheap ass?

ill have to see what my price is on some bars from my buddies shop.

post #13 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
you sayin im a cheap ass?

ill have to see what my price is on some bars from my buddies shop.
Just trying to help you use your usual logic. I've thought of getting UL's as well, but I think I'd rather try em out on someones bike that has em first before I pull the trigger, same goes for a corbin that I want.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #14 of 23 Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
The Cripple

yeah i tried going the cheaper route... just couldn't do it. decided to try for some tharbars instead. i mean, if i'm gonna spend that kind of coin, might as well make them fully adjustable, and transferable to any bike i want.

post #15 of 23 Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
No problem so far. I do have aftermarket G & J Stainless lines, but I didn't order them any longer length than their stock offering.

Here are some pics. The last one of course is an older one before I powdercoated my upper triple, swapped levers for Pazzo shorties, and changed mirrors:
Looking super clean!!!!!! Awesome.

post #16 of 23 Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones
I'll research down under shipping cost if you like.
That would be great mate. Any chance you want to sell the bar mounts and ends separate from the bar? The only reason ask is I'm going for the blacked out theme and hope to start powder-coating soon. I understand it's a long shot.

post #17 of 23 Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Also cheers for the input guys, really valuable!

post #18 of 23 Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Tirone

I went from the stock bars to Renthal UL. With the stock bars, at LA (USA) speeds (70-80 mph) I felt like I was going to get blown of the back of the seat, but with the UL I am now more over the bars and leaning forward and into the wind. I left them (UL) at the stock length as it gives me more leverage on the bars, but not a problem when I split lanes. Overall I am very happy with the Renthals.

post #19 of 23 Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney
I had both the Renthal UL and Renthal MX Fatbar on my bike. Overall there wasn't a huge difference in feel, but there are quite a few different bends of Fatbars to try. The main issue I noted with the Fatbar (at least the bend I had) is that it's wider in the middle and I like to cut my bars down - usually 3/4" on each side - and there wasn't enough room on the Fatbar to do this and make the controls fit and still feel the way I wanted it to feel. I finally gave up and removed the bar and clamps altogether and went with adjustable clip-ons. Making the bars narrower may not be an issue for you.
If I had to do it again I would go with the UL - It's a great feeling bar.
I don't have any experience with the Rizoma conical but I've heard it's similar to the UL and those that have the Conical seem to really like it.
Did you have any problems with cable lengths? I'm not sure width will be a problem for me, but I won't know till I try it. I was in my local shop today and the sales guys said the length, or lack of, may prove troublesome. Did you experience this?

post #20 of 23 Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i think i might try some ultra lows... just for shits n giggles... cus i was noticing that the pullback of the stock bars does create some discomfort.

How much less pull back do the ultra lows have compared to stock?

post #21 of 23 Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate919 View Post
Did you have any problems with cable lengths? I'm not sure width will be a problem for me, but I won't know till I try it. I was in my local shop today and the sales guys said the length, or lack of, may prove troublesome. Did you experience this?
I didn't have any troubles with cable length with the Ultra Lows.

The Fatbars I had were a little bit taller bend than the Ultra Lows. I also had taller bar clamps and different triple clamps. If I turned the bars all the way lock to lock the throttle cables would start to get tight, but I never turned the bars all the way when riding or when backing out of my garage, so it wasn't really an issue for me.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Immune

I've thought about installing UL's for a long time now. What bar ends are you guys using with them? The stock ends won't work without modification correct?

post #23 of 23 Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Immune

I've never bothered to put bar ends on my renthal UL's If that gives you some idea of how they handle vibes (I need to get around to it though)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode