• 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Remus Grand Prix CF w/ power commander III serial

'03 919
PC III Serial
Remus CF Grand Prix
Stock Air Filter
Still has flapper and pairs. But that may change.
Live at 6,500ft, ride up to 14,000ft

Waiting on an ebay serial to usb cable to check current map, load new ones Blue USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Adapter USB Cable for XP Vista Win7 Male Screw B | eBay

But in the mean time I held all 3 buttons down to check the low mid high settings. They are all set at the default level.

Is seeing the default level normal if there is a map loaded on the PC? I read on these forums about changing low +2, mid -1, high -1. But is that on top of having a map loaded?

When the cable arrives I plan on trying LDH's sato map. Not sure if I should use the first gen one, or the newer sato map, but I guess I will just try both and see. This is only because I can't find any maps for a remus exhaust. I also have a feeling that there isn't a map loaded at all, or if there is, it's a 10 year old map. Which is necessarily a bad thing, I'm just thinking there might be something better out there, and is worth at least trying. The previous owner had no knowledge of the PC settings, and said it came with the bike when he bought it from the previous original owner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

You're better off to choose a map based on your elevation than you are based on which type of aftermarket exhaust. They all help the engine breath more (not necessarily better) and fuel adjustments are needed to optimize that relationship.

Check out the dropbox folder for all the maps in the 919 folder - some of them are 900rr setup maps, others work better at higher elevation. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ra9j3gn4c...L4JuwuBKa?dl=0

I would test out a few maps and stick with which one feels the best for you. Aside from that, unless you know a crap-ton about fuel ratio adjustments, I wouldn't touch the individual trim levels in the PCIII software.

Most of those maps were created custom on a dyno anyway. You would be hard pressed to make them any better.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
2007 Honda CB900F (click for pics -sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks. I have looked through the drop box folder before posting and nothing I saw in the filenames suggested elevation. I'm guessing if I open them in the PC software there will be some notes?

And I also figured since its FI a map that's good at sea level will also be good at elevation because the FI system would adjust the A/F ratio....? The PC is just for setting the ratios at certain rpms....?

And I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I could be totally wrong. So please correct me.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswid View Post
Thanks. I have looked through the drop box folder before posting and nothing I saw in the filenames suggested elevation. I'm guessing if I open them in the PC software there will be some notes?

And I also figured since its FI a map that's good at sea level will also be good at elevation because the FI system would adjust the A/F ratio....? The PC is just for setting the ratios at certain rpms....?

And I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I could be totally wrong. So please correct me.
Since the 919 does not have oxygen sensors, there is no feedback loop for the FI systems to know what the A/F ratio is in order to adjust it.

post #5 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Good to know. Thanks.

post #6 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Our simple (some may say archaic, but whatever... They are wonderfully effective) efi systems have no ability to self-correct for a/f ratios. That would require an oxygen sensor, which didn't hit mainstream bikes until pretty much after our beloved 919 was done being engineered.
The factory setup will take engine temp, intake air temp, throttle position, manifold pressure, and rpm into account, to make its fuel calculations. It is far from sophisticated, but quite effective and tune able. Finding a map that fits your ballpark elevation will give you a far more accurate estimation than someone who has this slip on/that slip on.
A custom map may cost a few bucks, but if your tuner is worth a hoot, they can usually get you a few points for driveability, performance, and even efficiency

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

yup, you will see a description (some short, some none) on the maps in the software.

FYI, my map was a 900rr setup for 4,800 ft elevation.

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 23 Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So I looked through the maps in PC software and didn't see any with elevation in the notes, including yours. Thanks for telling me though. I will try it. I also heard the erion map was done at 5k....?

post #9 of 23 Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Eh, darn. I don't know about the erion map.

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 23 Old 10-23-2015, 08:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I'm of no help on the Power commander front, but do you have any photo's of the Remus exhuast? I don't think I've seen one of those on a 919

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #11 of 23 Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I guess I have only two pictures of the bike at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151009_110037.jpg (276.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20151009_110028.jpg (293.7 KB, 17 views)

post #12 of 23 Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I'm running the two bros/stock filter map on my 04 with the same exhaust, works good but I'm sitting 15 ft above sealevel

Dan
post #13 of 23 Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM
McTavish

If you have a twin can setup, be sure to at least try V4 of LDH's Mori(waki) map.
The original Dan Kyle map is way rich for street use.
Also try a twin can based hi altitude derived map.
LDH advised me some years ago that extreme altitude deviation from where a custom map was made, can make for less than stellar results when used at an extreme deviation of altitude, as in more than 4000 ft of change or so.
The 919 FI system is pretty basic, and the non feedback looped mix of sensors is only so good at figuring out the air mass.
There's lots of insightful notes in the Notes section on a number of the maps that are in the drop box.
There's a fairly complete Power Commander section in the drop box as well.
Be warned, not all Serial Port adaptors will work with the Power Commanders
pswid likes this.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-29-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The Ebay USB to Serial cable came in the mail today. It worked and cost less the $4 shipped. Windows 7 even automagically downloaded the drivers for it.

So I tried the Mori4 map first and holy cow. Whatever the previous owner was using is garbage. The best way I can describe it is the engine is more alive and smoother at the same time.

As soon as I loaded it the idle smoothed out, which i never noticed as being rough before. The biggest difference is below 4k rpm, and the throttle on/off is way smoother. With the old map the exhaust sound was all over the place and the power was too below 4k. Now the bike has a more linear power delivery and the exhaust sound is more linear as well if that makes sense. Before the exhaust sound would come and go at certain points in the rpm range(mostly between 3-4k), and had a rougher tone.

Another change is the coolant temp gauge is quicker to rise when sitting in traffic. But once I get some air flowing again, the needle settles down at just above the bottom of the gauge.

I'm not even sure I want to mess with any of the other maps, but its tempting since some are supposedly done at elevation, (I live at 6.5k), but this map in comparison to the previous owner's map makes the bike a whole new experience, and one for the better. And someone once mentioned to me that a good map tuned for sea level is better then a garbage map tuned at elevation.

post #15 of 23 Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Try the g00gl3it map, even if you don't have a 900rr header, it was tuned for 5k elevation.

2006 Honda 599 - Wanda
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 23 Old 10-30-2015, 07:33 AM
McTavish

919 maps re 900RR headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Try the g00gl3it map, even if you don't have a 900rr header, it was tuned for 5k elevation.
Not quite ........
It was tuned at 5000 ft with corrective adjustments to best match the mismatched header and remedy as much as possible its classic flatspot.
pswid likes this.

post #17 of 23 Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Might try the Sato map because it's what ldh recomends on his website. Then maybe the 900rr map just for the elevation part. But I'm sticking with this current map for a while so I can get used to it, and possibly notice subtle differences. Really I think I found the best map on the first try, but since all I have to do is plug my laptop into my bike it's not a big deal to try a few more out.

post #18 of 23 Old 10-30-2015, 07:49 AM
McTavish

Quote:
The Ebay USB to Serial cable came in the mail today. It worked and cost less the $4 shipped. Windows 7 even automagically downloaded the drivers for it.

So I tried the Mori4 map first and holy cow. Whatever the previous owner was using is garbage. The best way I can describe it is the engine is more alive and smoother at the same time.

As soon as I loaded it the idle smoothed out, which i never noticed as being rough before. The biggest difference is below 4k rpm, and the throttle on/off is way smoother. With the old map the exhaust sound was all over the place and the power was too below 4k. Now the bike has a more linear power delivery and the exhaust sound is more linear as well if that makes sense. Before the exhaust sound would come and go at certain points in the rpm range(mostly between 3-4k), and had a rougher tone.

Another change is the coolant temp gauge is quicker to rise when sitting in traffic. But once I get some air flowing again, the needle settles down at just above the bottom of the gauge.

I'm not even sure I want to mess with any of the other maps, but its tempting since some are supposedly done at elevation, (I live at 6.5k), but this map in comparison to the previous owner's map makes the bike a whole new experience, and one for the better. And someone once mentioned to me that a good map tuned for sea level is better then a garbage map tuned at elevation.
I have 2005 era Yosh TRSs.
The factory map with no PC was awful.
The PC 919 map was pretty much the same.
The Erion map was better but still not right.
Then I tried LDH's v4Mori map, after converting it to USB code from the original SP code.
Mega improvement.
Even my wife, unprompted and not at all any kind of gearhead said "what did you do, it sounds different".
This was at idle as she was getting ready to put on her helmet before hopping on the back.
My custom map is really a variation, the tuner actually telling me my baseline map was so good, and his gains so small, that he'd only charge me half price when I went to pick up the bike after the runs.
My suggestion is that anyone with a twin canned 919 with a PC, is crazy not to at least try the v4Mori map.
I have yet to see or hear back a negative on this map from anyone that has tried it.
Sure, it can be improved upon for other specific cans, but so far I'd have to say one can't go wrong with it no matter what cans one has.
Rickard did say his debaffled stock canned bike used more fuel with the v4Mori map.
Keep in mind he keeps his engine on the boil a fair bit.
pswid likes this.

post #19 of 23 Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Might try the Sato map because it's what ldh recomends on his website. Then maybe the 900rr map just for the elevation part. But I'm sticking with this current map for a while so I can get used to it, and possibly notice subtle differences. Really I think I found the best map on the first try, but since all I have to do is plug my laptop into my bike it's not a big deal to try a few more out.
Watch out.
There are early large bore Sato maps and later small bore maps.
Dan Kyle's original Sato map was large bore based and had subsequent variations done by LDH.
I think DK's map is a max power map, for sure it is rich on the street.
Be sure you know which one it is you are trying.
I renamed all the files after sorting them out, so the names are intuitive.
There are all in the drop box in the mcromo subfolder - I can't direct better than that as I am away and can't access my drop box entry

post #20 of 23 Old 10-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Yeah, I ran LDH's Sato map, bike was tons of fun to ride but I only made it 4 days of commuting before needing to refill the tank instead of 6

Dan
post #21 of 23 Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Yeah, I ran LDH's Sato map, bike was tons of fun to ride but I only made it 4 days of commuting before needing to refill the tank instead of 6
Thanks for the heads up. My gas light turns on around 150miles currently.

post #22 of 23 Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Since I'm using the old PCIII Serial I cut and pasted the values for every 500rpms into the older controlc enter software. I will try it out eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Watch out.
There are early large bore Sato maps and later small bore maps.
Dan Kyle's original Sato map was large bore based and had subsequent variations done by LDH.
I think DK's map is a max power map, for sure it is rich on the street.
Be sure you know which one it is you are trying.
I renamed all the files after sorting them out, so the names are intuitive.
There are all in the drop box in the mcromo subfolder - I can't direct better than that as I am away and can't access my drop box entry
Tried the Sato2 map, which I think is the small bore one. In the notes it said the fueling was revised for better shifting. Anyways, didn't notice any difference compared to the Mori map. Obviously there is a difference in the maps values, but the butt dyno didn't notice them. But that being said, the mori/sato map are freaking night and day compared to whatever was on the bike when I bought it.

Sadly, I kind of miss the bark the exhaust made on the old map. Everything else was horrible compared to the Mori/sato map, so I am not changing just to enjoy the sound. So I guess the perfect map would be mori/sato smoothness with the bark of the original.

post #23 of 23 Old 11-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
I guess I have only two pictures of the bike at all.
Nice view!

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode