Removing stuck Slip-Ons: - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Removing stuck Slip-Ons:

I'm swappin the D&D for a set of CF Delkevics and I'm just havin one helluva time getting the D&D off. The clamp which goes into the Y is welded onto the actual pipe, the nut/bolt is loosened all the way but the damn thing doesn't want to budge.

Any tips on how to remove that sucker is appreciated. I'll have a go again after work, I'm thinking I need a 2nd person to pull while I pound the muffler with a rubber mallet from the other side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

I'd be inclined to try to remove it after there is a bit of heat in the pipe - not much couple minutes idle for example. Plus squirt a bit of WD40 or similar around & up the join. The tap tap tap with a soft mallet is a good idea too.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Brain stolen again?

If desperate, purchase a "Can of Air" commonly found at Radio Shacks or other electronic stores. It's used for dusting off electronics and keyboards and such.
With all your hardware loose, get the pipes good and hot. Be ready with a pair of good leather gloves for protection. Now, turn that can of air upside down so it sprays out ONLY LIQUID and direct it onto your s-pipe as close to the can as possible without hitting it. Be generous.......you see you want to shrink that s-pipe and fast by doing this without overly cooling the can. Now work the can loose, up and down at first then twist motion while pulling it away from the s-pipe.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley

post #4 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I was thinking of heating the pipes a bit, but then I figured that might make things tighter with expansion. The upside-down canned air is brilliant, I got boxes of the stuff here at work. They won't notice if I take a can home. I'll WD40 the area as well

Thanks for the great tips Allan and BigDaa

post #5 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Brain stolen again?

Please post up results.

Mathew Quigley
post #6 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Got them off! I used WD-40 and let that sit for a min. Warmed the engine until the pipes were hot to touch, sprayed the Y pipe with canned air 'liquid.' Also left the brackets on; put a long screwdriver through it to get leverage and turn the muffler as I had another person pull back on it. Came off without having to use excessive force.

Thanks again for the tips: now gonna meet up with Rickard919 in a few to tag along to Mt St Helens.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Have a great ride!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Brain stolen again?

Excellent, amigo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love a happy ending

Mathew Quigley
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

How was your ride to Mt. St. Helens? I haven't ridden there in a few years, but there are a lot of great roads around St. Helens and Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker, and ...

post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
How was your ride to Mt. St. Helens? I haven't ridden there in a few years, but there are a lot of great roads around St. Helens and Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker, and ...

The ride was a blast man, traffic was moderate but plenty of stretches for passing on the way up to Johnston Ridge. Only ran across one LEO, which was a bit of surprise considering how many people were on the freeways. (Too busy with calls/fireworks/etc?) It was great riding with Rickard919, lets just say we got down to Castle Rock faster than I expected.

And yes we are blessed with some great roads around these parts. Peninsula, North Cascades, Anacortes, Columbia River by the state border, etc.. I do want to check out Mt Baker, the ride up looks great from pictures. Ever done the SportBikeNW rally? It's something I've been meaning to do for quite some time, but I've never had the experience of motorcycle camping.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I'll be out that way in September. Never been to WA, can't wait. Will be sans motorcycle unfortunately.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
It was great riding with Rickard919, lets just say we got down to Castle Rock faster than I expected.

Ever done the SportBikeNW rally?
Glad you had a good ride!!

I've been meaning to do Sportbike NW rally for the past few years, but something always comes up. Next year I'll put in for vacation early and head down there for 3-4 days. My friend went a couple years ago and said the roads through southern WA and northern OR are spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I'll be out that way in September. Never been to WA, can't wait. Will be sans motorcycle unfortunately.
The riding will still be good in September. We'll have to find you a bike while you're out here - there are WAY too many amazing roads out here to visit without a bike! The problem is, there are so many great roads we'd have you out riding 10-12 hours a day for your entire trip!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode