rear brake light flashing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

rear brake light flashing

has anyone used one of these Vizi-tec SupaBrake?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I use a similar product from signal dynamics called "back-off xp". I use it with a license plate holder that has LEDs on the top and bottom. (I only flash the LEDs) I've used it on my 919 for maybe 8 years and i don't even think about it anymore. It works and is cheap insurance.

A friend of mine was killed while sitting at a light 20 years ago by a distracted lady and, up until using this auto pulsing thing i used to pump my brakes and stare in the mirror to see if the care behind was stopping. Now at least i don't have to pump my brakes.

If you are even worried about this a little bit then get something. But of course my kids thought it was dorky. Probably is - LOL.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone231 View Post
has anyone used one of these Vizi-tec SupaBrake?
Saw their website. looks interesting. I was wondering the same thing.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

post #4 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
The Cripple

CUSTOMNLED has that option built into their led lights.

post #5 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 PM
i appear missing

I don't think I'll ever 'get' the strobing brake lights [or headlights for that matter].
I disabled all the fancy stuff on my CustomLED. I find it in itself can be a distraction for people who don't understand what's going on (and there's plenty out there behind the wheel).

I like to manually communicate with my rear brake [tapping].
whether people see it or understand is completely on their part of the social 'road-way' contact we all enter when we get behind a vehicle.

if there's one thing I learned when working in the 'safety' industry is that NO matter what you do - if someone is not paying attention, no amount of flashing/blinking/colours/sirens will stop them from smashing into things. I've even heard people say that the flashing lights themselves were a distraction and they fixated on them.

I've seen people smash into cop cars, ambulances, barrier trucks, construction signs, roadwork signs, school zone signs, other cars [all flashing] - when someone is distracted behind the wheel/bars/handles/whatever, everyone is in danger. NOTHING will stop them except themselves.

if it works for you, it works for you.

just make sure that you're not sitting there thinking "oh yeah, that's bright as all hell, they'll see me now, no matter what" - because THEY WON'T.

post #6 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
just make sure that you're not sitting there thinking "oh yeah, that's bright as all hell, they'll see me now, no matter what" - because THEY WON'T.
This... I agree with you 100% Inattentive drivers will be inattentive drivers. At the end of the day, all you can do is pay attention FOR them and gtfo of the way.

Nonetheless, I use the strobe feature on my CUSTOMLED but only have it strobe 3 times before turning solid. I've found that to be the best balance in terms of observing how quick people respond to it. However, I still have people every now and them that get right up onto me where I feel like I gotta scoot out of the way and then they give me weird looks.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
i appear missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
This... I agree with you 100% Inattentive drivers will be inattentive drivers. At the end of the day, all you can do is pay attention FOR them and gtfo of the way.

Nonetheless, I use the strobe feature on my CUSTOMLED but only have it strobe 3 times before turning solid. I've found that to be the best balance in terms of observing how quick people respond to it. However, I still have people every now and them that get right up onto me where I feel like I gotta scoot out of the way and then they give me weird looks.
"duhhh look at that there fancy flashing gizmo never seen that before! dum dum dum"

"why is his brake flashing like that, must be something wrong with... oh shit almost hit him"

"what the hell is wrong with buddies brake li... oh shit almost hit him"

.............. "now I'll look at him, like it's his fault"

and etc...

like I said, if you like it, by all means use it! - I'm just throwing out other opinions - trying to think like the morans who seem to want to kill off our kind if you will...

post #8 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
"duhhh look at that there fancy flashing gizmo never seen that before! dum dum dum"

"why is his brake flashing like that, must be something wrong with... oh shit almost hit him"

"what the hell is wrong with buddies brake li... oh shit almost hit him"

.............. "now I'll look at him, like it's his fault"

and etc...

like I said, if you like it, by all means use it! - I'm just throwing out other opinions - trying to think like the morans who seem to want to kill off our kind if you will...
Fair enough..... in retrospect:

oh look flashing lights - oh fuck I rammed a cop...

oooo shiny strobe lights - fuck i t-boned an ambulance...

and so on and so on. Means they should stop using their flashing lights?

Biggest mistake you just made is to try and think like the morOns in the first place. Gotta be smarter than them to begin with.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
i appear missing

Quote:
Fair enough..... in retrospect:

oh look flashing lights - oh fuck I rammed a cop...

oooo shiny strobe lights - fuck i t-boned an ambulance...

and so on and so on. Means they should stop using their flashing lights?

Biggest mistake you just made is to try and think like the morOns in the first place. Gotta be smarter than them to begin with.
never said anyone should stop using strobe lights. especially emergency/construction personal. and I stated that if you like it, then use it.

I enjoy 'thinking outside of myself'.

lastly, I think we can all agree on this simple fact:

post #10 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Hi-viz gear, properly used strobes, reflective materials all swing a better chance of being seen out there. How often has an accident happened because cagers simply didn't see you? I'm not talking distracted, drunk, or anything of that sort. I'm talking honest, safety minded drivers going by the book. Plain and simple, there is safety in lowering the invisibility factor of a smaller profile motorcycle. Wether that be being seen sooner from a distance than 1 second too late or catching a driver's eye in a sea of tail lights during traffic.

Nothing is going to top being a defensive rider but eye catching effects done properly can give you better odds.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Pilus Posterior

Not to side track the brake light discussion, but a few years ago I read about a real study as to why MC accidents happen.

The type of accident is the left turn in front of an MC.

The conclusion was the perceived WIDTH of the bike.

I was involved in exactly this accident (left turn in front of approaching bike). She said she only saw 1 light, so she turned in front of it.

I'm looking into some bright white lights that'll be about headlight level.

On my prior bike, I installed neon strobes under the headlight. Connected to the brake light with a 2nd switch. A small tap on the brakes would flash the front strobes, a full tap would run the brakes normal.

Got the kit for about $10.

Every time there was a car waiting to turn, I'd flash em.

Similar kit could be used for the brake lights as well.

Something like this: NEON STROBE LIGHT - RED : Amazon.com : Automotive

post #12 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Pilus Posterior

I wanted to mention that these are more like a camera flash, they build up the power, then discharge the power. Think of a quick camera flash but not quite as bright.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Not to side track the brake light discussion, but a few years ago I read about a real study as to why MC accidents happen.

The type of accident is the left turn in front of an MC.

The conclusion was the perceived WIDTH of the bike.

I was involved in exactly this accident (left turn in front of approaching bike). She said she only saw 1 light, so she turned in front of it.

I'm looking into some bright white lights that'll be about headlight level.
I've read that study before, the exact reason I go with a white and amber bulb in the dominators. Next time you see a car with amber fog lights, notice how much they stand out compared to other cars.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Ginger-prick

I love that my CustomLED tail lamp flashes them when I first hit the brakes. Then if someone is approaching from behind, I'll hit the brakes a few more times to make sure they see it flash again.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 PM
NineOneNiner

I just ordered an ebay hong Kong special... A $4 brake flasher unit. Two wires in, two wires out. Going to have to figure out which wires I'll splice into. I'll have to report back once it arrives and I get a chance to rip it apart. I think its supposed to only flash the first few seconds that you hit your brakes.

03 Honda 919 - Custom Blue Metallic - Sato Racing Pipes - Power Commander - Sargent Seat - Rizoma Mirrors & Levers - Progrips - Renthal Bars - Powder Coated Rims/Pipes - Clear Alternatives Tail - LED Blinkers
07 Lexus SC430 - Starfire Pearl White - Pebble Beach Edition (1 of 400)
04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
post #16 of 18 Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChimpsAlot View Post
I just ordered an ebay hong Kong special... A $4 brake flasher unit. Two wires in, two wires out. Going to have to figure out which wires I'll splice into. I'll have to report back once it arrives and I get a chance to rip it apart. I think its supposed to only flash the first few seconds that you hit your brakes.
Or you could just ditch the OEM unit and get yourself a purdy CUSTOMLED unit.

post #17 of 18 Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
NineOneNiner

Quote:

Or you could just ditch the OEM unit and get yourself a purdy CUSTOMLED unit.
Sure thing, but for now I'm pretty broke. Wife left, took me to the cleaners. At least I had enough cash leftovert to buy myself a nice early midlife crisis present can't wait to get the 919 on the road next spring.

03 Honda 919 - Custom Blue Metallic - Sato Racing Pipes - Power Commander - Sargent Seat - Rizoma Mirrors & Levers - Progrips - Renthal Bars - Powder Coated Rims/Pipes - Clear Alternatives Tail - LED Blinkers
07 Lexus SC430 - Starfire Pearl White - Pebble Beach Edition (1 of 400)
04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
post #18 of 18 Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChimpsAlot View Post
Sure thing, but for now I'm pretty broke. Wife left, took me to the cleaners. At least I had enough cash leftovert to buy myself a nice early midlife crisis present can't wait to get the 919 on the road next spring.
Ah crap dude. That really sucks. Hope you get back on your feet quickly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode